Interest only loans - Questions about payment and exit strategy

Interest only loans - Questions about payment and exit strategy

Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 8 votes

Hello everyone. I am considering using a turnkey company to rent a property and due to the covid and my current switching of jobs I can really only get an interest-only loan. Both the mentor and loan officer kind of explained it to me but I m hoping someone else might be able to put it into lamen terms for me and maybe clear up any more doubts I have before getting into it.

I am looking at properties that are roughly 100k and 7% interest (about) and was told I can get a 2-year interest only loan. However, does this mean that the interest is front loaded into those first two years and after the first two years I will have way less interest to pay? Or would I be just paying the interest at the normal rate? For example, if my mortgage (under a normal loan) were to be 1,200 dollars per month and the interest would be $84. Would I just be paying $84  per month for those two years or would it be a higher amount and I would be getting all of the interest out of the way faster so that the remaining term of the loan would be mostly principle? (ex. I still pay $1,200 per month but it is all interest and I am wiping out all the interest really early?)

Another question I am trying to understand is, if I am on a 2-year interest-only loan, can I refinance earlier than 2 years in if I get it leased out? Lets say I get a tenant into the house in 3 months who will be on a 1 year lease or longer can I still refinance and leave the interest only loan?

I am sorry if my questions are to much. You can probably see I am new to this and just trying to get a better grasp on this. I am reading through other posts about this and have gotten rid of many doubts so far but still feel like it would be good what else anyone has to say.

Thanks!

Garrett

0Reply
27 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Garrett Ranous

    It’s like a credit card or interest only heloc ... 7% annual interest on 100k should have you paying just under $600 a month I believe. It’s different from a amortization payment since you aren’t paying any interest. It’s great for keeping your dti low since the payment are lower.

    Check your loan terms. You should be able refi before the two years is up. That’s generally the approach...

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I have an interest only mortgage right now.  Each situation may have different terms, based upon what the lender offers.  I pay $1500 a month on a $300,000 mortgage at 6% interest only.  I don't pay any principal at all.  My lender didn't want to receive any principal, because he didn't want to pay capital gains taxes.  He wants to lend to me for 2 years.  I will refinance at that time, possibly with him again, or with a local credit union or bank.

    I like the lower payments because of my debt ratio.  I like that lower payment on this particular property, since it was its first year as a vacation rental, and I wasn't sure how many bookings I'd have.  I wanted to give myself a good buffer in my cash flow, and because my payment is low, my cash flow is greater.  Obviously, I can't do this forever, as the tenants would never pay the house off.  This is a nice short term solution for me and for my seller.    

  • Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @David M. and @Kerry Baird thanks so much for the feedback. I didn't really know about the dti ratio part of it and how that would be affected. I really appreciate the help and clarification =)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.