Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Pelt
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Votes |
Aged Shelf Coorporation with line of credit already attached..Please Help!

Glenn Pelt
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Posted Aug 28 2012, 18:36

Hi Everyone, first time poster here in the BP forum, I'm a newer member and investor and love the info on this website. Anyway here is my question. I have been approached by a company that claims to be able to sell me an 5-year aged shelf corporation from California with a 500K unsecured line already open and attached. The cost is 6K...I have read up on the topic and there is a lot of fraud warnings etc from people who are skeptical about it. I know there are a lot of companies that offer these corps with the claim that you will be able to get credit in the future but what about this deal where there is already a line attached to it? Any advice or input would be helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Aug 28 2012, 20:01

I don't know as I am not an expert on that type of stuff.

If I had access to 500,000 in an unrestricted line of credit then why would I want 6k from you??

I could do much more with these 500k lines of credit than getting 6k a pop selling them off.

I guess if the fee is deducted from the line of 500k and not something you pay upfront it could be okay but then if they want access to your financial data and bank accounts it would be too risky.

I haven't heard personally of someone using these lines like you are mentioning with any success.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Pelt
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Replied Aug 28 2012, 20:21

Joel-thanks for the input. Yes the upfront fee is worrisome, they do have a contract that specifically outlines what you will receive, and it says the line is already active and I will have everything in 3-5 days. I am going to have an attorney review the contract but my main issue is whether or not it is possible or if anyone has actually DONE this with any success/failure.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Aug 28 2012, 21:33

How would the shelf LLC get the credit in the first place?

If a company that has done no business in 5 years can get $500k in unsecured credit, then it must not be hard to get. Why pay $6K?

On the other hand if it has done anything to earn that credit what other liabilities are attached to the company?

I would stay away - However if you do try it Please report the results!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Bertolino
  • Investor
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Replied Aug 28 2012, 21:48

I don't care how old the corp is... I doubt you will be able to get you hands on $500k. Maybe a $10.000 equipment lease or something like that but nobody will give you unsecured funding right now. Business lending is still very tight and without collateral and several years of pristine, reviewed or audited financial statements... you are not going to sniff an unsecured loan over $50k much less $500k. If it seems too good to be true... It is.

User Stats

Votes
Jim M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Aug 29 2012, 04:50

I always though that when the credit bureaus found out there is new ownership the aged part starts over. If you need your company to look older than it actually is these are effective though.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Pelt
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Replied Aug 29 2012, 11:25

Thanks for the input, here is what ive been told to this point...in regards to Joe' s point ive been told that the company has basically done its own transactions and tax returns to show income over the past however many years. Apparently the companies that sell the shelf corps set it up this way so that it looks like the LLC/Coorp is making money, it also says that there is a personal gaurantor already in place and that person stays on the credit line so that it wont get revoked. When I posed the question as to why anyone would leave there name on the credit line I was told that due to the laws in the states that these LLC's/corps are created only the person who "owns" the llc/corp can be held liable for the credit line if it defaults, not the gaurantor. Hope that helps, anyone who wants more info can send me a private message and I can show you the contract that has been provided to me by the company that sells these.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Aug 29 2012, 11:58

Do they have people you can contact that have used the lines with success??

If they cite privacy issues run!

I wouldn't pay 6k to anybody upfront.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Aug 29 2012, 12:03

This fails the smell test. You can get up to $500K in debt, personally guaranteed by someone else, for just $6K? Your credit doesn't matter? It would be a stretch even in 2005.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Mackenzie
  • Falls Church, VA
Votes |
  • Falls Church, VA
Replied Aug 29 2012, 12:05

I guarantee you this is a fraud, especially given that BS they just fed you about the guarantor staying in place but not being liable. Run away.

User Stats

Votes
Dave M.
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Landlord
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Aug 29 2012, 12:39
Originally posted by Glenn Pelt:
...there is a personal gaurantor already in place and that person stays on the credit line so that it wont get revoked. When I posed the question as to why anyone would leave there name on the credit line I was told that due to the laws in the states that these LLC's/corps are created only the person who "owns" the llc/corp can be held liable for the credit line if it defaults, not the gaurantor.

From the lender's perspective, what is the point of the guarantor in this scenario?

User Stats

Votes
John C.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Suwanee, GA
Votes |
  • Suwanee, GA
Replied Dec 27 2012, 06:13

Hi Glenn I must agree with everyone else this doesn't make a lot of sense. What happened?

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Pelt
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pawcatuck, CT
Replied Dec 27 2012, 06:15

I never pursued, listened to my gut and all the advice here and just stayed away

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Dec 27 2012, 06:18
Originally posted by Glenn Pelt:
I never pursued, listened to my gut and all the advice here and just stayed away

Good call, Glenn.

User Stats

Votes
Roger Couture
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Nov 16 2013, 21:30

Glen,

My name is Roger Couture and I am the owner of a legitimate company that provides both start-up entrepreneurs and business owners with working capital. For start-up entrepreneurs, I offer shelf corps as a vehicle for obtaining working capital. And, I can tell you with absolute confidence that shelf corps, do in fact work.

However, the industry is fraught with deceptive practices and various forms of criminal activity.

That said, anyone who offers you 500K unsecured line of credit already attached, along with a personal guarantor is outright defrauding you. It takes time to acquire capital with a shelf corp and no personal guarantor is going to put his or her credit on the line for 6K if her or her could access 500K themselves.

Nonetheless, please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Roger Couture

User Stats

Votes
Jacques Hill
  • Mc Kinney, TX
Votes |
  • Mc Kinney, TX
Replied May 2 2014, 11:03

HEY!!!! ROGER COUTURE!!!!!! I'm Jay the guy you met at Chaucers in Allen late last year!!! Vince's buddy.. you educated me about all this shelf corp stuff.. if you still have my number PLEASE CALL ME!!!!you put me in there as Jay Chaucers.. I haven't been able to reach Vince, my phone was stolen and I lost my contacts. I still can be reached at the same number though... I'm ready to incorporate. I've got everything in place now and want to talk to YOU PERSONALLY.. since you know my guy Vince. I HOPE you read this. I know what you did for him and I desperately need it for my company. if you read this and don't have my number... please respond here and let me know something. thanks man.

User Stats

Votes
Walter Shatford
  • Investor
  • Monterey Park, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Monterey Park, CA
Replied Jul 28 2016, 23:24

This is a common scam. 

That being said, it's not absolutely impossible for someone to sell you a corporation with credit.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Lee
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Durham, NC
Replied Sep 29 2017, 12:15

Then why would we need the show like Shark Tank on TV! :-) 

User Stats

Votes
Edward Donlin
  • Canton, NC
Votes |
  • Canton, NC
Replied Jan 15 2018, 22:44

Explain this Roger Rabbit Couture 

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/shelfrich/pla...

User Stats

Votes
Charles M.
  • Montgomery, AL Investor
Votes |
  • Montgomery, AL Investor
Replied May 27 2018, 12:11

Hmmmm, great thread! Lets get the King of Debt, Rich Dad Poor Dad on the line and ASAP! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Justice
  • Nationwide Remote Wholesaler
Votes |
Replied Jul 24 2019, 00:58

There are legitimate companies out there that can do it, That's the same method corporate Giants are legitimate doing for Capital have been for years . Google credit ready corporate credit business shelf company no up front fees paid on success

User Stats

Votes
Nate Marshall
  • Financial Advisor
  • Evergreen, CO
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Evergreen, CO
Replied Jul 24 2019, 11:46

There are companies in Wyoming that can do LLC's, Corporations and shelf corps for you but neither offer any credit with them. They are eligible for a bank account. You pay more for age.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Justice
Votes |
Replied Jul 24 2019, 15:08

Yes Thank you for the insight@ Nate Marshall I'm looking into Wyoming

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒