Hi BP!
I am in the process of buying my first property in Delaware County PA through the BRRR strategy. I would like to buy it under an LLC which I know is fine but I contacted Citi Bank to ask about a refinance portion and they mentioned they wouldn't refinance if the property is under an LLC. Does this mean I have to refinance with an unconventional lender and do they offer higher interest rates than Citi bank would? Where can I find lenders that would lend for a property owned in an LLC?
Another option would be to buy under my name and then transfer it to an LLC but that would mean incurring double transfer taxes and fees (at the time of the original purchase and then when transferring to an LLC) in order to refinance with a conventional bank like Citi, is this expense worth it?
Additionally, I do have a good credit score (750+) but if I borrow using the LLC would an unconventional look at my personal credit score when determining the interest?
Thanks in advance for looking into my questions!
@Maricruz Romero first, you should only be working with smaller lenders as an investor. Large banks have too many rules and "overlays" to their loans. Try posting in your state forum here on Bigger Pockets and see what some locals can refer you to some better lenders for this type of thing. Now, to answer your question - You can refinance with a "residential" loan but you'll need to structure it a certain way. But other loans are pretty good too. Tthere is a lot of confusion on this subject and even confusion on how to explain the answer. I'll try my best to summarize here but this might get lengthy:
@Maricruz Romero most banks won't provide a conventional (30yr good fixed rate) to an LLC. There are supposedly a few out there - but I haven't found one. When they mortgage to an LLC, it's a commercial/portfolio loan which means they look at your experience and the rental financials. Plus it'll be at a higher rate and probably a 10/15/20 year balloon.
I'm a believer that an LLC doesn't help much for a beginner landlord with a few properties. The asset protection probably won't protect you much since the tenants will likely know you. Plus there are other downsides of an LLC, like some states requiring an attorney to file eviction.
@Maricruz Romero first, you should only be working with smaller lenders as an investor. Large banks have too many rules and "overlays" to their loans. Try posting in your state forum here on Bigger Pockets and see what some locals can refer you to some better lenders for this type of thing. Now, to answer your question - You can refinance with a "residential" loan but you'll need to structure it a certain way. But other loans are pretty good too. Tthere is a lot of confusion on this subject and even confusion on how to explain the answer. I'll try my best to summarize here but this might get lengthy:
Andrew, where would I go to learn how to "lend against a note"?
@Andrew Postell thank you for the great overview, that was really helpful!
To get conventional rate, buy the property in your name. FNMA will allow you to transfer the title to an LLC, after you purchased, if you deem that to be the best thing for you.
https://www.fanniemae.com/cont...
@Andrew Postell Great and thorough response. Very helpful.
I just purchased a BRRRR in Richmond VA and i had the exact same question as i recently opened an LLC too. I'll start looking into options but i may come back to this thread with questions. Thanks!
@Brett Miller I've done a handful of BRRRRs in Richmond recently, all under LLC, with commercial financing. If I can help, let me know. Use a small community bank, for sure. Some good ones in Richmond.