Possible rental property financing option

Possible rental property financing option

Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes

@ Chris Mason. Thanks for your template on how to provide information in order to achieve constructive feedback.. So here's my story......

I presently house hack a 4/3 sfh with 2 rooms rented. This covers PITI, home owners insurance, all utilities, internet, etc. $100 give or take left over. Plan to reside here another 6 months or so then seek another primary having lived here 2 years.

I've come across an owner occupied fixer upper asking $120,000 in Georgia (South). Hoping to offer around $110-112K. Property can be rented as is for at least $1,150. However, this is not my primary focus as I am more interested in incorporating it into my Healthcare residential business but for now it would be a start.

So I am thinking get a rental property loan with 20% down. Credit score mid 700, above 740.

Current DTI is around 43%, credit cards utilized paid off in full monthly and I carry a LOC which I was planning to pay out but have access to when this deal popped onto my radar.

Here is where things get tricky.. I took a 6 months hiatus from working then decided to do part time work 9 months ago, while I research and tested starting my own business in the health care field. So part time W2. I am told this is an issue with 2 years continuous work history required.

So, I am exploring an option that allows the projected income to be used instead of my income. I understand rates for these rental property loans may be around 6 to 7%, which would still be affordable.

Am I being unrealistic or are there are other avenues I could explore?

Grateful for any advice or feedback..

@ Chris Mason, was having issues with responding under your suggested headlines. So hopefully my narrative captured the important points.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
7y

If I were you, I would pick up a full time job to start documenting time worked. I've seen people go from 1099 which could be part time for all the lender knows, straight to full-time and get a loan with 2 months of work history. If you can provide a LOE, there is a good chance that you can get a loan. If you've had gaps in employment, thats another story. @Wendy S. 

@Chris Mason what's your opinion? 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · USA · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 97 votes
    7y

    @Wendy S. - Here is the challenge will you get a rate in the 6 to 7% range with an alternative lender or hard money lender?  Most likely not.

    The benefit however is that most lenders and brokers like us most of the time never ask to verify income on these types of deals.

    So you have to weigh your pros and cons.  You are not going to get bank or credit union rates, but the deal will get done regardless of your income situation.  

    I wish you the best.

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    7y

    If I were you, I would pick up a full time job to start documenting time worked. I've seen people go from 1099 which could be part time for all the lender knows, straight to full-time and get a loan with 2 months of work history. If you can provide a LOE, there is a good chance that you can get a loan. If you've had gaps in employment, thats another story. @Wendy S. 

    @Chris Mason what's your opinion? 

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    7y

    @Wendy S. oh I missed where you said you took a 6 months hiatus from work... that really narrows your options as @David wright stated. 

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @David Wright

    Thank you for your kind words and insight.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @Raymond J. Rodrigues

    Yes I was actually told if I went back to fulltime employment in my line of work once I get my first payslip I would automatically qualify.

    I was actually considering this for 2 months until the loan processed for a primary loan later this year with a 3% down but this opportunity came up.

    Well I'll just have to wait and see if the property on its own will qualify with its projected rental income, which would more than cover the mortgage payment.

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    7y

    @Wendy S. you're on the right path.  

    Have you been bouncing back and forth ideas with a local bank or mortgage broker in regards to this all? 

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    7y

    @Wendy S. when qualifying for a mortgage, they always want at least two pay stubs if paid bi-weekly and at least 4 if paid weekly just so you know. Stability is important, and the rate of pay and how they pay you is also another big factor. Hourly, Salary, OT, etc. 

  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    @Wendy S. Hello.

    To me if the property is cash flowing more than the mortgage then I don't see a reason why you could not obtain a rental loan between 6-7%. In fact I write these types of loans within those realms all the time. Stated income no docs, don't care if you are employed or not.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Raymond J. Rodrigues:

    @Wendy S. you're on the right path.  

    Have you been bouncing back and forth ideas with a local bank or mortgage broker in regards to this all? 

    Yes but for a HELOC which I would qualify for about $45,000. Was gonna have this on hand for a primary purchase about October as December would make 2 years at my present residence.

    I have already scheduled my state exam for recertification with the intent to go back to full time work for about 2 months around September. At least that was the plan. 

    But u know opportunity knocks early and I thought if I could get this property now I could refinance in another 6 months. 

    Hopefully I'll know my fate today and explore other options, such as private or hard money lenders for a cash purchase then refinance later. 

    Thanks again for the information and words of encouragement. 

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Covington:

    @Wendy S. Hello.

    To me if the property is cash flowing more than the mortgage then I don't see a reason why you could not obtain a rental loan between 6-7%. In fact I write these types of loans within those realms all the time. Stated income no docs, don't care if you are employed or not.

     Hi Nicholas, thank you. Is it ok if I pm you? 

    I knew my reading on no docs loans suggested it was possible but I was concerned about the interest rate. 

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @Raymond J. Rodrigues

    SunTrust had a Heloc for 4.24 introductory 12 month then 5.25 to 6.47 thereafter with a closing time of about 30 to 45 days. 

    Delta credit union had similar with 30 days to close. So knew what I wanted to do later but for now, oh well. 

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    7y

    @Wendy S.  I understand. Nothing happen before its time. 

  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    @Wendy Smith sure let’s connect.

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @David Wright, @Raymond J. Rodrigues, @Nicholas Covington

    Update

    I have gotten a conventional preapproval for 7.2% with 20% down-payment.

    @Chris Mason

    Now I know why you never responded, seems I didn't tag u right. Lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.