Hi BPers,
Looking at a multifamily property (4 units) that needs a considerable amount of repairs (~50k). Does anyone know of a lender that is willing to lend for the repair costs as well as lending for the long term, once the property has been rehabbed? Essentially thinking of the BRRR strategy for this multifamily property but trying to avoid the costs of having to close twice, which I'd have to do if I were to go with private money to make repairs and then refinance into "conventional" financing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
@Felipe Carrillo and @Maurice Walker i thought I might as well tag you both just in case it was helpful.
A couple of loan options were mentioned above and I wanted to clarify here:
If you were to occupy this property this would be an entire different discussion. I will assume this is an investment property for the sake of this discussion (if different please let me know):
For multi-family renovation loans there is no "agency" solution. 203(k) loans are an FHA product....which means you have to occupy. Fannie Mae HomeStyle is a renovation loan that can be applied to Single Family Home investment properties....but not 2-4 unit investment properties. HomeStyle can be applied to owner-occupied 2-4 units just for reference.
So that leaves us with portfolio/commercial solutions or hard money solutions. What generally occurs in these scenarios is that a short term, commercial or HML is used and THEN using a Fannie/Freddie type of loan to refinance out into your permanent financing. This does mean some extra costs....payments to the short term loan, 2 sets of closing costs, etc. So that generally means you just need to adjust your offer a little bit to compensate for this.
In Texas, the general commercial style loan in this scenario is a 20 year Adjustable Rate Mortgage. There are a good number of investors that just stay in that loan. So you don't HAVE to refinance out of something like that if you don't want to but I think if you used Hard Money you would HAVE to refinance. Those commercial loans would likely come from smaller, local lenders. So I know a few up in Dallas-Fort Worth...but they don't lend in Houston. And probably the same for the Houston lenders not lending up here.
I hope that helps in some way. If you are looking for specific lenders for this type of product feel free to post in the Texas forum itself. There are plenty of us in that forum and we tend to have a lot of participants from Texas in Bigger Pockets. Might be a good place to ask for this sort of thing.
@Scott D Burrows thanks for the mention. Feel free to tag me with any other questions. Good luck!
203k loans, conventional rehab loans to start but also BRRR strategy is good too but if you qualify for agency debt then that may be the best option as it costs less.
@Justin Kane Thanks for the input! I haven't heard of agency debt. Would you mind explaining what this entails?
Certainly agency debt is just your standard residential or commercial fannie and freddie loans
Call @Andrew Postell he is in Texas and is EXTREMELY knowledgeable.
He will be able to make a loan work for you I have no doubt.
Also, the type of loan you are trying to get is probably called a Homestyle Loan, but it does require occupancy at some point I believe.
Good Luck,
-Scott
@Felipe Carrillo Once you find your answer(s) can you share them in this thread. I'm looking into small multifamily units as well and would like to see what options you find, which one you choose, and what drove your choice. Thanks in advance and good luck investing!
@Felipe Carrillo if its not livable (guessing not) then you will not be able to get institutional /conventional home loan. Same would apply for commercial loan unless you have a portfolio already with them.
On that other note, if double closing cost throws off a deal then deal is very marginal to begin with ... on the flip side .. even if you pay closing cost twice , you could possibly offset that by closely managing your repair cost and negotiating 1/2 pts off from short term lender/commercial bank. Put the contract ..if you think its doable..... 4 plex are tough to come buy at a decent price
@Felipe Carrillo and @Maurice Walker i thought I might as well tag you both just in case it was helpful.
A couple of loan options were mentioned above and I wanted to clarify here:
If you were to occupy this property this would be an entire different discussion. I will assume this is an investment property for the sake of this discussion (if different please let me know):
For multi-family renovation loans there is no "agency" solution. 203(k) loans are an FHA product....which means you have to occupy. Fannie Mae HomeStyle is a renovation loan that can be applied to Single Family Home investment properties....but not 2-4 unit investment properties. HomeStyle can be applied to owner-occupied 2-4 units just for reference.
So that leaves us with portfolio/commercial solutions or hard money solutions. What generally occurs in these scenarios is that a short term, commercial or HML is used and THEN using a Fannie/Freddie type of loan to refinance out into your permanent financing. This does mean some extra costs....payments to the short term loan, 2 sets of closing costs, etc. So that generally means you just need to adjust your offer a little bit to compensate for this.
In Texas, the general commercial style loan in this scenario is a 20 year Adjustable Rate Mortgage. There are a good number of investors that just stay in that loan. So you don't HAVE to refinance out of something like that if you don't want to but I think if you used Hard Money you would HAVE to refinance. Those commercial loans would likely come from smaller, local lenders. So I know a few up in Dallas-Fort Worth...but they don't lend in Houston. And probably the same for the Houston lenders not lending up here.
I hope that helps in some way. If you are looking for specific lenders for this type of product feel free to post in the Texas forum itself. There are plenty of us in that forum and we tend to have a lot of participants from Texas in Bigger Pockets. Might be a good place to ask for this sort of thing.
@Scott D Burrows thanks for the mention. Feel free to tag me with any other questions. Good luck!
@Andrew Postell Thanks so much for the explanation. You are correct in that this is an investment property. Out of curiosity though, what are the requirements for the Fannie Mae HomeStyle in terms of the length of time that one must live in the property before it can be rented out? Could one perhaps do short term rental (like Airbnb) while this length of time lapses and then rent it out? Just brainstorming different options for this multifamily property. Also, do they lend for repairs and is it also an ARM type of loan or fixed interest?
Thanks again!
@Andrew Postell really appreciate you taking the time to go over this for us. For me I am interested in starting out doing owner-occupied. What would be the difference in using one over the other with regards to a HomeStyle and 203k loan? I'm not too familiar with the HomeStyle loans but I am aware that using 203k or FHA loans in general may prolong the closing timeline. What are your thoughts?
@Felipe Carrillo for the Fannie Mae HomeStyle, if you were to occupy the 2-4 unit property you can renovate it and rent it immediately. Is that what you are asking? If you mean, how long do you need to live in the 1 unit you are occupying that would be 12 months. I hope that answers your questions but let me know if it doesn't.
@Maurice Walker if you are occupying then the whole world opens up to you with loans.
First, if your lender is good, the closing time will be the same for conventional loans vs. FHA loans.
One of the primary differences between FHA and Conventional here is that a standard conventional loan will have different down payments on 1-4 units. So a 1 unit is 5%, a 2 unit would be 15%, a 3-4 would be 25%. Again, this is pretty specific so these numbers are only for the Fannie Mae HomeStyle loan (which allows renovation) if you were buying a 2-4 unit property with no renovation the downpayments will be different.
An FHA 203K loan only requires 3.5% down. That can be a HUGE difference between loan types.
But the Fannie Mae loan is a smoother loan to do. Fees are less. And things like PMI go away with a conventional loan. FHA it is forever. But FHA is more forgiving with credit. FHA "full" 203K require consultants...and there's lots more here too. LOTS. So it's really important that your lender knows these two loans back and forth and can guide you on all the pros and cons to them. FHA also has 2 different 203K types....and not every bank offers both types. Not every lender offers HomeStyle either. I've dropped some bullet points on both loan types below. I'm here in Texas too so feel free to PM me with any other questions. Thanks!
Other Important Items to Know about “Conventional” Renovation Loans
Maximum – Minimum Purchase/Upgrade Amounts:
Maximum: Limited to 75% of the “after improved” value
Occupancy: Primary, Second Homes, Investment Properties
Renovation Term:
Contractor(s) Acceptance:
Multiple Specialized Contractors:
Loan to Value Calculations:
The original principal amount of the mortgage may not exceed Fannie Mae’s maximum allowable mortgage amount for a conventional first mortgage.
Eligible Renovation:
Costs and Escrow Accounts
Contingency Reserves:
Draw Schedule:
Additional Draw Information:
Final Draw Information:
Change Orders and Cost Overruns:
Renovation Term Extension Fee:
Other Important Items to know about FHA Renovation Loans
A FHA option to roll renovation/repair work into the loan. Down payment is based on the total of the purchase price + renovation costs. Loan can go slightly over appraised value if the need were to arise.
Contractor Approval
Contingency Reserves
Draw Requests
@Andrew Postell Thanks again for the very detailed information you've provided. Yes, I meant to ask what is the minimum amount of time I'd have to live in one of the units before I can rent it out, which you mentioned was 1 year. I'll give you a call because I still have several questions. I'm assuming your contact information hasn't changed since you helped me last year with the rental loan, correct?
Curious who typically provides the contracts and Unconditional Lien Waivers? Does the bank give forms or does Borrower provide? I've always drafted for commercial clients, but rarely see them on the residential side.
@Ronald Rohde for this loan type Fannie Mae has the appropriate forms that are required. Some lender may use a few of their own forms but for the most part they are all standardized by Fannie. Hope that answers your question.
@Felipe Carrillo you can PM me if you need. Certainly nice to see you again! Most of my contact information should be the same. Thanks!