Mortgage from family questions

Mortgage from family questions

Bethel, NC · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

I am considering buying a house from a family member.  We get along well, he is willing to "self-finance" which is a big part of why the deal would be compelling to me.  I would like to make sure this gets done well so the interests of all parties are met.  How have folks done this kind of deal in the past? 

Some of my thoughts:

1.  I can't pay cash but can pay a down payment and would likely pay extra, especially after the next few years go by.

2.  I would be more comfortable with the property being in my name and having a contract.

3.  Figuring out the balance owed over time seems like this might be best left to a third party.  Is this true?

4.  Is there some easy way to self calculate interest vs principal payments?

5.  Just so respondents know, I already have rental properties in this market.

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    First step is to have a real estate lawyer draw up a legal mortgage contract. Do not even consider this without a proper legal contract. As the buyer you would of course be responsible for all legal fees. Treat this as a normal business transaction, do not even consider this as being family.

    As for the interest/principal calculation's there are numerious calculators on line. Just plug in the numbers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.