18 year old investor/realtor seeking info on morgages

18 year old investor/realtor seeking info on morgages

- · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 62 votes

Hello,

I just turned 18, graduated from high school, finished my Indiana Realator license and am enrolled in a construction management program at Ball State. When I turned 16 I started my first business which dealt in gold and silver bullion. This allowed me to save money to invest in real estate when I turned 18 however I have minimal past income. 

Additionally, my parents are giving me the option to receive a lump sum payment to go toward possible rental property purchases. This would be an alternative (and lower amount) to the predetermined amount they would contribute toward each semester of college tuition. I plan on taking this option and using the rental income to offset what they would be contributing.

By having my realtors license I estimate I will save 2-3% on properties and aim for a few more percents toward closing costs so I only need to pay 20% out of pocket for down payments. My parents have always told me that I need to expect to put 25% down on investment mortgages. They have a combined 45 years of experience with rehabs, new construction, and commercial in Chicago so I have naturally learned a lot from them over the years and tend to trust their judgment.

My questions - 

Is 25% down overkill? (if so where should I look for investment mortgages with lower down payments?) I am looking for traditional 15 and 30-year mortgages.

Will I need cosigners for properties if they cash flow 1%+ a month after all expenses and a 25% down payment 


Also, any references for mortgage brokers or bankers that actually write up these loans in the Indianapolis area would be appreciated. 

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Josh C.Pro Member
Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Kevin O'Brien sound like you have some money and a good work ethic. Ball state is surrounded by cheap houses. You could probably pick up a dump for 25k cash or so and dump a bunch of sweat equity and long nights into it and make some good money or have your first rental. I started that way and it’s tough to beat free labor. Good luck!
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    8y
    Without established credit, you will need a co-signer. Even if you have all of your ducks in a row and the funds, without the established history of bill pay, you will be kicked to the curb by 90% of conventional lenders.
  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    8y
    You will also need two years of tax returns that prove you can pay the mortgage and that your debt to income ratio will be enough. They will also want the same of your cosigner. They will need to be able to find your mortgage in full with their existing D2I ratio.
  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    @Kevin O'Brien sound like you have some money and a good work ethic. Ball state is surrounded by cheap houses. You could probably pick up a dump for 25k cash or so and dump a bunch of sweat equity and long nights into it and make some good money or have your first rental. I started that way and it’s tough to beat free labor. Good luck!
  • - · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 62 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Josh C.:
    @Kevin O'Brien sound like you have some money and a good work ethic. Ball state is surrounded by cheap houses. You could probably pick up a dump for 25k cash or so and dump a bunch of sweat equity and long nights into it and make some good money or have your first rental. I started that way and it’s tough to beat free labor.

    Good luck!

    Thank you for the reply! At the moment I am looking at purchasing up to 3 duplex properties in the $80,000 to $130,000 range in Arsenal park/Holy cross areas. I would like to add at least one to my portfolio each year after. However, I plan on looking into more c/b class areas. I am weary of the Muncie area because of the population decline and overall low-quality rental market IMO. I see it is hard to sell the houses down the road and do not plan on wanting to keep them much past college. 

  • - · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 62 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Starusnak:
    You will also need two years of tax returns that prove you can pay the mortgage and that your debt to income ratio will be enough. They will also want the same of your cosigner. They will need to be able to find your mortgage in full with their existing D2I ratio.

    I plan on spacing out the purchases that way I have alteast one to two years of expenses for each property. My situation is obviously unique but if there is a way to do it ill try!

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 438 posts · 193 votes
    8y

    Hey Kevin, well done on getting an early start in investing, real estate, and taking the world by storm at such a young age!  Bravo!  Happy to help with the above, we are licensed in Indiana and one of the biggest lenders there.  Echoing what others have mentioned, we'll need to take a look at your credit scores/history, and then also talk about possible co-signers if you want the best rate.

    As for down payment, that really depends on what kind of property, purchase price, types of rents, etc.  Would you consider living there if you're going to be at Ball State anyhow?  Feel free to PM me and we can dive in more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.