Is my mortgage broker right? I won't qualify for 2nd home? Why?

Is my mortgage broker right? I won't qualify for 2nd home? Why?

Yuba City, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 7 votes

My wife and I purchased a SFR in San Diego, CA in 2015 with an fha loan. Appreciation has been great and I've refinanced out of that loan to a conventional loan and opened up a HELOC with 58k available.

We want to move on to a new place but keep our current home as a long term investment. We view our current property as a long term hold for several reasons. 

We want to grow our portfolio and have identified a couple duplexes or even smaller single family residences in better neighborhoods, but my lender has told me that I won't qualify for fha or lower than 20% down programs because it won't make sense to the underwriter that we are moving to a smaller place. We're looking at places between $550k - $625k. 

In the case of the duplex she said I would not qualify because they wouldn't be convinced that we would live in one and rent the other. Additionally there would be some hurdles using the rental income from my current home towards my dti since I would be using the heloc for the down payment on the new place. 

I don't understand the logic. Besides the fact that we actually are going to live on the property and not just use it as a rental, doesn't it make sense that people would sacrifice square footage for a better neighborhood, better school districts, less commute, better quality of life...etc? 

Has anyone else had a similar situation and been able to purchase the 2nd home with owner occupied financing? How did you do it?

Do you have any advice or insight? 

I'm trying to get my brrrr on but they're not making it easy!!! 

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. 

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Upen PatelPro Member
Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
9y

@David West Your lender is correct. This is has got nothing to do the underwriter. The underwriter is simply implementing the guidelines from FHA.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    We had in the past moved from one MFR to another MFR. We also bought a SFR to rehab and rent.

    We also ran into the problem of using our HELOC to purchase a foreclosure we later moved into. The bank who foreclosed will provide a mortgage for 90% of the purchase price. The one question they asked is where the down payment came from and I told them it was from the HELOC. Wrong answer. They want it from seasoned funds of at least six months. Fortunately my wife handled finances for her mom and had a joint account together for over 20 years, so we said "if you want to see seasoned funds, here is our seasoned funds".

    The ridiculous part about this is we plan on using $20K out of $120K line.

    We also had a ridiculous issue with the DTI. Back in 1993, when interest rates dropped, we tried to refi two properties. One was the SFR, and the refi was approved. The other was the triplex, the refi was not. Strangely, the officer at the bank branch couldn't understand it either.

    Further investigation was the triplex, which I partnered with my mother in law, had a much higher DTI, because she owned several other properties. No explaining can move them that I am the one paying the mortgage. It turns out I had a wealth account at a major bank, explained the problem to them and they granted me the mortgage based on my net worth and relationship, and at a lower rate.

    So you see, I ran into both issues that you are facing. So try another bank, preferably one that extends portfolio loans.

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    David West I have seen the same thing here. The only solution is to use a higher down payment. That's okay, but it certainly slows down your acquisitions. That is probably why so many people invest in single family, live in it for a year, then rent it out. They can acquire the properties with 5% down.
  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Frank Chin thanks for the response. It sounds like you were able to overcome the dti issue from the heloc by using funds from another source. Unfortunately an alternate source for the down payment isn't available in my situation currently. Additionally the median home price in my area is $570k. I'm glad it has worked out for you as you've been able to obtain multiple properties in spite of the hurdles. 

  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I agree, I may have to bite the bullet, stack up enough for the bigger down payment but it does slow down the process. I really want to move into multi family and scale up. I'm going to check with some local portfolio lenders and see if they can make it happen. It's hard to believe that everyone else investing in expensive markets are all putting down 6 figure down payments. Thanks for the response. 

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    9y

    @David West Your lender is correct. This is has got nothing to do the underwriter. The underwriter is simply implementing the guidelines from FHA.

  • Yuba City, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Upen Patel are there other products outside of fha that would allow for less than 20% down on an owner occupied duplex or triplex? Ideally 5-10% down?

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David West:

    @Upen Patel are there other products outside of fha that would allow for less than 20% down on an owner occupied duplex or triplex? Ideally 5-10% down?

     If you don't have any other property, then you can do a 5% down Freddie HomePossible loan. Else the min down would be 10%. This is for owner occupied only.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 52 votes
    9y
    I remember trying to do something similar earlier this year. In speaking with lenders, FHA will only allow you one FHA loan in a given area, in order to get a second FHA something like a job relocation too far away from your current home could qualify you, but guidelines were strict. I decided to keep saving up for a down payment & use a Heloc as a reserve account for emergency cap ex or repairs only account. That way I have a safety net if I need it but I don't have to save it up first. Home Possible may be a next best bet for low down payment as mentioned above.
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David West:

    My wife and I purchased a SFR in San Diego, CA in 2015 with an fha loan. Appreciation has been great and I've refinanced out of that loan to a conventional loan and opened up a HELOC with 58k available.

    We want to move on to a new place but keep our current home as a long term investment. We view our current property as a long term hold for several reasons. 

    We want to grow our portfolio and have identified a couple duplexes or even smaller single family residences in better neighborhoods, but my lender has told me that I won't qualify for fha or lower than 20% down programs because it won't make sense to the underwriter that we are moving to a smaller place. We're looking at places between $550k - $625k. 

    In the case of the duplex she said I would not qualify because they wouldn't be convinced that we would live in one and rent the other. Additionally there would be some hurdles using the rental income from my current home towards my dti since I would be using the heloc for the down payment on the new place. 

    I don't understand the logic. Besides the fact that we actually are going to live on the property and not just use it as a rental, doesn't it make sense that people would sacrifice square footage for a better neighborhood, better school districts, less commute, better quality of life...etc? 

    Has anyone else had a similar situation and been able to purchase the 2nd home with owner occupied financing? How did you do it?

    Do you have any advice or insight? 

    I'm trying to get my brrrr on but they're not making it easy!!! 

    I would greatly appreciate any feedback. 

     This scenario to me personally makes sense.

    You no longer have and FHA loan and if you have kids or are planing on having kids a better school district is better for your children's future. Also a better school district normally means a safer neighborhood etc. I would recommend changing your current loan to an investment conventional loan if your DTI makes sense.

    So the scenario makes sense.  

    Now the wild card is going to be your income which we don't have enough information on.  You'll need to have enough equity in the departing residence to count the income.

    To me personally this is an income issue not a scenario issue.

    A strong letter of explanation will be sufficient in my opinion scenario wise.

  • Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2017 · 171 posts · 165 votes
    9y

    when I moved last year, I bought a smaller house to live in while we were in between houses (so we didn't have to rush on a more permanent home purchase and get in the school zone we wanted asap), it was less than 1/4 of the price of the house we were previously living in. I got an owner occupied mortgage ... my mortgage broker did say lenders get suspicious when they see a significant downsizing like that, he wrote a brief letter that he had me sign of explanation explaining the situation and stating it was my intent to live there. I ended up living there 6 mos and kept it as a rental. I did put 20% down on it but not sure what that has to with the real issue which is the lenders don't believe you intend to live there. 

    What does it say about our society when downsizing is somehow suspicious?  If you really do intend to live there, I'd keep looking for a lender who's ok with it, I would think a good letter of explanation should suffice. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @David West,

    - Be careful with the term "second home." To the mortgage industry, "second home" means what a normal person means when they say "vacation home." A lot of miscommunication occurs because of this. It doesn't look like that happened here, but just a warning to the lurkers. :)

    - FHA isn't just for FTHB, but it's also not designed with investors in mind. There are narrow provisions wherein departing residence rental income can be used, but you didn't describe any of them. Generally you must earn enough day-job income to support both mortgages, though rental income from the multifamily unit being purchased will move the needle a little bit.

    - You can purchase an owner occupied duplex with 15% down, counting both the departing residence rental income and income from the other unit.

    - That part is usually actually pretty easy to overcome, for the reasons you highlight pertaining to neighborhood, etc. Some underwriting teams are more liberal than others, which is something you can't quantify, but certainly something I checked for when employer shopping. 

    - If you want to stick to the SFR world, the "nomad strategy" of buying SFRs @ 95% LTV, using conventional financing with temporary PMI, over and over and over again is certainly viable, and friendly with Agency mortgage guidelines. Prop 13 paired with fixed rate financing generally means that eventually all real estate in California will be cashflow positive (unless the town gets Detroit'd), so you live there and improve/enjoy the property until that happens, at which point you "nomad" your way into the next home, building up a happy little empire that you can pass onto your children (along with your Prop 13 tax basis) along the way. You might get lucky and it's 12 months on one home, or you might get particularly unlucky and it's 10 years on the next one. I'll probably never personally sell any California real estate I personally live/lived/etc in, for this reason (but everyone reading this needs to sell, so my clients have something to buy, LOL). Simultaneously, you can certainly have other investments (incl. real estate) and business ventures going on, of course.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @David West

    I'll chime in here, even though I don't invest in San Diego, only out of state. 

    Since you'll owner occupy you could try a lower down payment conventional loan. I know that loan depot has an owner occupant 5% down loan without PMI but the interest rate is a little higher.

    To overcome some DTI issues you can find a willing friend who will sign a lease with you for your current residence. You can then count 75% of that lease amount towards your monthly income. In high priced markets like ours I've heard realtors suggest this, warning it's technically it's cheating, but you are going to rent it out.

    There are also 10% down vacation home loans that also don't have PMI but have higher closing costs, might work. I was thinking about doing one for a place in Mammoth Lakes.

    I know others may disagree with this approach, but I rent in San Diego and invest in rental properties out of state. It's a bit hard being remote but I'm getting good systems setup now. The nice thing about doing investments out of state is that they are always setup as investments. Just my approach to the high prices in SD! 

  • Amy KendallBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 397 posts · 318 votes
    9y

    I think you are running into two problems here. First, the R in BRRRR is for, "refinance," and not use a HELOC. As far as I am aware, most banks do not like to do a HELOC on an investment property that still has a mortgage, which is what your primary residence will become. Second, I agree with @Lee Ripma that the banks would have a hard time not believing you were actually moving if you had a signed lease to show them.  If that doesn't work out, you could move out to a temporary place, rent out the house and then there is no longer a question.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Try calling your local banks to get a commercial loan. When you call the bank as for a commercial mortgage lender. Then talk with him/her about your plan with buying duplexes and financing them in your business. Commercial lenders will care about your DTI, but they will also look at the property as income, where the traditional lender will look at it at more bad debt. You may need to call a lot of banks, but don't give up. I will call every single one of them until within 30 miles until they all said no. I did that in 2009 (several said yes)

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    9y
    Perhaps you can cut down your expenses to the bare minimum and work on saving up for a down payment. The fact you are relying on a HELOC for a down payment is probably why you being denied. If you can't cut expenses enough to have extra for a down payment, pick up a side job to earn extra income. It will delay your move but by increasing your income and savings you will then be able to qualify. A higher income will also increase your chances of being approved. Also make sure to have cash reserves in case your tenant bails and you have to evict.
  • Smyrna, GA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Get another mortgage broker ASAP!  You would be apply to consider the rental income from the one that you move from in qualifying for your new home mortgage.  It happens all of the time.  Those terms are typically set by our buddy FANNIE MAE on a national basis even in those pricey California markets.  As an aside, I'd recommend that you find your local NONPROFIT real estate investors association and go to a meeting.  Their business associates have mortgage lenders that specialize in addressing this situation all of the time.  Go get 'em, Tiger!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.