Have you tried Quora for real estate questions?

Have you tried Quora for real estate questions?

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 94 votes

I recently got introduced to Quora from a West Coast friend of mine. It seems like a powerful place to get questions answered about real estate. Anyone have any experience? How does it compare to BP? There seem to be a lot of topic trending about financing and startups.

2Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
9y

I think BiggerPockets is going to be a lot better than Quora for real estate questions. People here are on the site because they are specifically, seriously interested in real estate. On Quora, you check off a bunch of topics you're interested in and get presented with a list of questions, then can pick and choose which to answer.

Do you want answers from someone on a real estate forum, or someone picking your question out of a list about sandwiches, real estate, breeding toy poodles, gender politics, and Canadian tourism? :)

I love Quora and you definitely can find experts there on a ton of subjects. But I think BiggerPockets is a more reliable source.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Stuart, FL · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    While I have seen some great information on Quora I have not seen it in real estate information and community like BP. I also think Quora's format limits getting a balanced perspective without really digging into a question.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 94 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed So Quora is more like a general purpose community for any questions? I have seen some interesting posts like:

    How do you approach your first investor for seed capital

    Or

    How do I invest in real estate in my 20s

    Are there any other forums you found like bigger pockets or is the best and only serious one on the web?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y

    I think BiggerPockets is going to be a lot better than Quora for real estate questions. People here are on the site because they are specifically, seriously interested in real estate. On Quora, you check off a bunch of topics you're interested in and get presented with a list of questions, then can pick and choose which to answer.

    Do you want answers from someone on a real estate forum, or someone picking your question out of a list about sandwiches, real estate, breeding toy poodles, gender politics, and Canadian tourism? :)

    I love Quora and you definitely can find experts there on a ton of subjects. But I think BiggerPockets is a more reliable source.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 94 votes
    9y

    @Gwen Fyfe that puts it in good perspective for me. It sounds like Quora is more of social network for questions.

    Of course I would prefer to talk to people dedicated to real estate vs. breeding toy poodles, although I do have a really cool toy poodle myself. He looks like a teddy bear.

    Do you personally use BiggerPockets are more of a reference website or to ask specific questions to help you with real estate on a continuous basis?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 287 votes
    9y

    So far I've been using it to help me with specific questions. I post some of them, but quite a lot of them already have answers which are easily searchable. It's very useful.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 94 votes
    9y
    That sounds good. I have mostly been responding to other's questions. Only recently, I have started to post. Sometimes people don't respond to my posts. Not sure how to make sure I get answers.
  • Lender · Stuart, FL · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I would say one of the best strength of Quora is getting info from hard industries to connect with. There are some great insights to Google and Microsoft from people that work there. Or highly intellectual items where professors are chiming in on the answers summarizing years of research into a few paragraphs . 

    With real estate I want more than one perspective across the country and in many settings because it gives me more insight. I am sure there are some great answers there but it will take more digging than on BP.

  • Greenwich, CT · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    I agree with @Account Closed on this one. I did some coding for a startup with a couple friends a while back and we used Quora a lot for technical coding questions and they had a strong community for those more technical questions similar to StackOverflow. While you might find a couple examples, I just joined the BP community here and it's an extremely active community for real estate questions. It's really incredible to see how helpful real estate investors on this site are, some that have been doing it for more than 20 years! I'd take the advice from a mentor on BP on something like finding seed capital a lot quicker than I would from someone on Quora.

  • Real Estate Investor · Surfers Paradise, Queensland · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I completely agree with all these answers that BP is much better than Quora. On Quora, there are numbers of different topics, you can choose from and give answers to that. On the other hand, BP is the great platform where you basically come for real estate discussion and gain huge knowledge from other real estate investors. I love to give useful and meaningful answers on Quora for other people's queries but I think BiggerPockets is the better reliable source.

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 367 votes
    9y
    I personally love Quora especially for topics like software engineering and other things that interest me. As for Real estate there are some good answers but not at the level of detail of biggerpockets. I highly doubt anything will overtake BP as the best website on real estate! It's basically the stack overflow of real estate except with a more organized way to search for answers
  • Princeton, NJ · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    I agree with what's been said about Quora v. BP. I think you might find some of those Quora posts higher on a Google search so it gets traffic but when it comes down to getting a highly educated and active community for your questions, I'd stick with BP or similar real estate communities. Just because I can buy a tire from Walmart doesn't mean I'll get the same service or products I'd get from my car dealership. 

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed really nailed it.

    Here's another thing that is huge about BP, you can check out people's profiles and there are questions pertaining to their real estate experiences whereas in Quora you get a generic profile that is not real-estate centric.

    When I have real estate questions this is my go-to process flow:

    1) Search BP for the answer, chances are it's already posted

    2) Ask my real estate mentors that I know in real life that own millions in real estate

    3) Post about it on BP and solicit the community as there are plenty of self-made millionaires on here as well

    Why ask random people on Quora when you can ask successful people that've already done it?

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    I agree with @Ray Lai on this one. While I don't have a pro account so I can't access the mentors, I think that just the nature that there is a group of people out there really contributing to this community as part of their daily lives and investing in it makes a huge difference. I've been meeting a lot more people and getting some great feedback in DMs with people from BP on things like finding seed capital that I don't think I could really pull away from the Quora community.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    @Gwen Fyfe I think you have a good point. Sometimes I have troubles finding very specific topics here so I use Google and it often takes me to the Quora forms. Agree with @Ray Lai and @Anna McGill on the community thing but sometimes it's hard to find some specifics I'm looking for.

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 94 votes
    8y

    @Hank Wu have you had any luck using the forums to learn about WCAP, working capital, or getting seed capital?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.