Seem to Be Out of Options for Conventional Financing. Advice????

Seem to Be Out of Options for Conventional Financing. Advice????

Real Estate Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for another investment property, but it seems as if I have maxed out on my ability to acquire conventional financing. It seems like a strange problem to me, since I have a lot of capital available (approx. $275K) and it seems like people are able to build out pretty huge portfolios using financing. 

Part of the issue is that I'm looking to buy a new investment property in the market in which the two others I own are located (Washington, DC), but the minimum price for property acquisition in that market without having to do a substantial amount of work is in the $300K range.

Some background:

I currently have two conventional, 30-year, fixed rate mortgages (one on my own, one with a co-borrower [my father]) on two single family homes and when I looked into getting pre-approved for another loan around this time last year, the lender I was going to use told me that my debt to income ratio was too high. So you know, one loan is worth about $213K and the other is worth about $185K, giving me a debt load of about $398K total.

At the time, I was earning about $57,500 a year from a job, in addition to a modest income from my two rental properties (about $600 a month in cash flow after covering the expenses of the mortgages and property management).

I have since quit my job to focus on real estate investment full-time (so essentially no income from another job) and re-financed one mortgage and am getting new Section 8 tenants at both properties, so the cash flow will now be about $2100 a month total. I know that's not that much income, but that's why I want to add another property to the portfolio to increase that number.

I'm not sure if this is helpful information or not, but I have a pretty substantial amount of equity in both properties through appreciation. One was purchased for $250K and the other was purchased for $270K and the latter was recently appraised at $400K.

What are my options as far as financing goes? I'm trying to avoid the approach of putting all cash in and then financing after the purchase, but I'm not sure how else to proceed. I'll admit I'm a novice when it comes to financing strategies, so any insight you could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Upen PatelPro Member
Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
9y

@David Johnson Another option is a DSCR (Debt Service Coverage Ratio) loan. You will need a min 1.25 DSCR, but with these loan it is entirely based on the property. Though you will be hit with a higher rate due to the risk.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @David Johnson:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm currently in the market for another investment property, but it seems as if I have maxed out on my ability to acquire conventional financing. It seems like a strange problem to me, since I have a lot of capital available (approx. $275K) and it seems like people are able to build out pretty huge portfolios using financing. 

    Part of the issue is that I'm looking to buy a new investment property in the market in which the two others I own are located (Washington, DC), but the minimum price for property acquisition in that market without having to do a substantial amount of work is in the $300K range.

    Some background:

    I currently have two conventional, 30-year, fixed rate mortgages (one on my own, one with a co-borrower [my father]) on two single family homes and when I looked into getting pre-approved for another loan around this time last year, the lender I was going to use told me that my debt to income ratio was too high. So you know, one loan is worth about $213K and the other is worth about $185K, giving me a debt load of about $398K total.

    At the time, I was earning about $57,500 a year from a job, in addition to a modest income from my two rental properties (about $600 a month in cash flow after covering the expenses of the mortgages and property management).

    I have since quit my job to focus on real estate investment full-time (so essentially no income from another job) and re-financed one mortgage and am getting new Section 8 tenants at both properties, so the cash flow will now be about $2100 a month total. I know that's not that much income, but that's why I want to add another property to the portfolio to increase that number.

    I'm not sure if this is helpful information or not, but I have a pretty substantial amount of equity in both properties through appreciation. One was purchased for $250K and the other was purchased for $270K and the latter was recently appraised at $400K.

    What are my options as far as financing goes? I'm trying to avoid the approach of putting all cash in and then financing after the purchase, but I'm not sure how else to proceed. I'll admit I'm a novice when it comes to financing strategies, so any insight you could provide would be very helpful.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

     From what you're saying your LO could be right and I'm basing this on the information provided. It's sounds like you had an additional 4.7K plus per month that you could show as income. Now that that is gone your ratios are most likely very high.

    I know getting out of the rat race is a major accomplishment but I would have waited until your rental income doubled or at least matched your monthly earnings. This way when you quit, your DTI wouldn't have been affected enough to disqualify you.

    You might be able to get a commercial loan since those are weighted more towards your Rental income.  Look into that route or consider going back to work and accumulate as much property as possible.  I know this would kind of suck but it's an easier path.  Or you can look out of state and buy cash as well since you're sitting on a good chunk of change.  

    You have options!!!

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @David Johnson

    Another simple solution is to partner with someone who has enough W-2 income to buy at that price point. Combined, that will put your DTI back in favor with the bank's "formula."

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    9y

    @David Johnson Another option is a DSCR (Debt Service Coverage Ratio) loan. You will need a min 1.25 DSCR, but with these loan it is entirely based on the property. Though you will be hit with a higher rate due to the risk.

  • Investor · Duluth, GA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Upen Patel Are you familiar with any lenders in Georgia that provide DSCR loans? I'm looking at using as a way to purchase more rentals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.