What kind of lender do I need? Self-employed, small loan amount

What kind of lender do I need? Self-employed, small loan amount

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I am looking at a piece of property that will cost about $65K. I can put down $30K but would like to borrow the rest. This will be my first real estate purchase and my first loan. I am unsure what kind of loan I should get or for what kind I might qualify. A conventional mortgage? A large personal loan? A private lender or hard money?  I am still learning the basics about loan options.

I have very good credit (650-700) and no recurring debt payments, but I am self-employed. I didn't earn enough to file taxes in 2015 so I have no tax returns from last year or W-2's to provide. I do have current bank statements that show regular deposits of $5K/month. I don't want to wait until 2017 when I have 2016's tax returns available, as I would like to buy the property now.

I would think that with a high credit score and such a large down payment, I could get some kind of loan, even if at a higher rate and with shorter terms -- but I am new to this and don't know where to start.

Other details: I live in California but am buying property in New York. The property is an older home, built in 1880, which needs some finishing -- so it might not meet all the requirements for a traditional mortgage loan.

Where should I begin?  Do I need a mortgage broker?  A loan officer? 

All advice is much appreciated.  I'm not seeking recommendation for a particular lender, please, just the kind of loan most appropriate to my situation.  Thank you!

1Reply
16 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investment Attorney · Kingsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 643 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    I would seek a hard money lender in that part of New York. Most Lenders would jump at lending to a person who will put that amount into it. Call some real estate Attorneys in that area to see who they would recommend.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 303 posts · 154 votes
    10y
    I Suggest you also looking at short term lending sites like prosper to qualify for the loan.
  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rich Baer:

    @Account Closed

    I would seek a hard money lender in that part of New York. Most Lenders would jump at lending to a person who will put that amount into it. Call some real estate Attorneys in that area to see who they would recommend.

     Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't mention in my original post, but this would be a personal-use home -- for living and home studio/business use, and not a flip-renovation or pure investment property.  Does that make a difference in a hard money loan situation?  Thanks.  

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Aqil Dharamsey:

    I Suggest you also looking at short term lending sites like prosper to qualify for the loan.

     Are those loans based solely on credit scores?  Would I qualify without W-2 and tax return documents?  

  • Real Estate Investment Attorney · Kingsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 643 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    Some Lenders will only lend to Investors and not homeowners. The business part of the building may make it OK. The fact that you are putting up a big chunk of money may negate any call for tax returns. You just need to speak to a bunch of people. As long as you can eventually repay the Lender you should be fine. Keep me posted in your search.

  • Rental Property Investor · OK · Member since 2015 · 316 posts · 216 votes
    10y
    Without a tax return you will not be able to go with a bank, as most have that requirement written into the loan policy. However, "Non QM" loans are out now and you may be able to find a product that utilizes bank statements (to verify deposits) rather than tax returns. That's assuming there will be enough nominal deposits to calculate income. Another option is an asset based commercial loan, but your property will need to be income producing.
  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    10y

    @Account ClosedYou will not be able to use a conventional lender or bank but there are other portfolio lenders that will look at bank statements to qualify you. There are also hard money lenders that will only look at the equity in the property when qualifying you. You can message me for a name of a national portfolio lender. These lenders will not have conforming mortgage rates. You can type in hard money lender new york and find some lenders to call. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.