How does a rental property affect your debt-to-income ratio

How does a rental property affect your debt-to-income ratio

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes

Hell Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how much the debt of my cash flowing rental condo adds to my overall "debt-to-income" ratio. 

I have a 2 year outlook and deciding whether it would be better for my wife and I to a) sell our house and move to the town where we want to be, b) stay at our current home and purchase a rental property, or c) buy a new house, move, and then rent out our current home we live in. I think a big part of the deciding factor for those three decisions will be what my debt-to-income percentage we will have and the ability to get a mortgage. 

The Condo: (Owned 6 months, rented for 5 months)

Purchased November 10th, 2015 - $122,000

Appraised when purchase (before $8,500 repairs) = $172,500

Mortgage + HOA + Insurance + Taxes = $856.15

1 year signed lease Rental Income = $1,500.00

Net Monthly Cash = $643.85

My Wife and I:

I have a credit score of 804 and she has 795

We will have 20% for which ever property we choose.

If I choose all the income we have (Gross Monthly) and take the Monthly Debt percentage, we both combined we have a "Debt-To-Income" of 28%. That includes the rental income, and monthly rental expenses.


Contractor:
As for myself, I am an offshore oil and gas inspection manager. I'm freelance and earn contract monthly sums. It's a bit hard for me to analyze my gross monthly. I question whether it would be straight gross, or, "after business expenses but before tax liability". Should my gross be based before or after estimated self-employment tax?

I feel like I'm on the line of making out my leverage and ability to get traditional mortgages or portfolio loans. However, I think I'll be able to get one more and it seems knowing which avenue will affect my debt-to-income the best will give me the best opportunity to get a loan. Then I can assess which method will best support improving our monthly cash flow and lifestyle goals.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0Reply
31 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    @James Sutton

    If you purchased it in November 2015 and it is only on your schedule E for 2 months then the lender will likely do 75% of rents minus PITIA

    So 75% of $1500 = $1125 - $856.15 = $268.85 monthly income to the lender

    Once it is on your Schedule E they will take Gross rents reported minus expenses.  Then they add back in depreciation, interest, insurance, taxes, and hoa dues.  Take that number and divide by 12 then minus your PITIA payment

    I uploaded an excel file in the file place here:  https://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/chicagobr...

    It does not have a line for HOA so if you have that add that to eligible expenses

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    That's excellent, thank you. I'll look at this in the morning tomorrow to ensure I have a good understanding and revert back if I have any questions. Thank you.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Thank you for the spreadsheet, I think I understand it now. Taking off of the schedule E rental income and inputting into the spread sheet gives me the "Net Rental Income(loss)". Mine is positive, so that amount is added to my over all gross income when calculating my debt-to-income ratio.

    Net Rent Calculator
    Property Address: FQ
    Rents received (Line 3b) $13,500.00
    - Total Expenses (Line 20) $900.00
    + Depreciation (Line 18) $1,203.00
    + Insurance (Line 9) $1,760.00
    +Interest (Line 12)
    +Taxes (Line 16) $1,225.00
    + Eligible Other Expenses (Line 19) $3,000.00
    = Gross Yearly Rental Income $19,788.00
    / by 12 = Gross Monthly Income $1,649.00
    - PITIA $965.00
    =Net Rental Income(Loss) $684.00

    As you said, my rent received was only in December. So I to my estimated 12 year rent received, (lease is for $1,500) and then take 75% = $13,500. So the $684 adds to my monthly gross income when calculating my debt-to-income ratio?

    Thank you very much for that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.