Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Dealing with Mortgage Brokers

J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorPosted Mar 17 2009, 13:56

Sorry for posting a long story, but I'm starting to get exceedingly frustrated with the mortgage broker who is working for a buyer of one of my properties.

The short story is that he screwed up in forgetting to order a second appraisal, pushing the closing back about two weeks. When my agent (my wife) called him on the mistake, he got pissed and is now dragging his feet, not scheduling the closing, not returning either agent's phone calls, and now has apparently gone out of town for the week without telling anyone.

Here's the longer story (taken from my blog, so excuse some of the references that may be unclear):

The Second Chance House has been under contract for nearly 6 weeks now, and we’re about 3 weeks past the original closing date. The main reason for the schedule slip is that the mortgage broker forgot to order the second appraisal on the house until nearly two weeks after the first appraisal (and after the original closing date). When we called him out on the mistake, he got very defensive, made up a horrible excuse for why it took two weeks to get the second appraisal, and basically said, “I don’t really care what you think, I’ll schedule the closing for whenever I feel like it.â€

Well, it pissed us off, but given that we thought we’d close the following week, we didn’t want to do anything drastic, and let it be.

Once the second appraisal was completed, the broker sent the information to the Department of Transportation to have it processed so they could cut the buyers a check (the buyer’s are getting their down-payment from the DOT because of some weird eminent domain situation). A week passes, and the buyer still hadn’t received a check from the Department of Transportation. We call the broker to find out what’s going on, and he basically again says, “I don’t know, I don’t care, leave me alone and I’ll schedule the closing whenever I feel like it.†It appears he’s still pissed that we called him out on his mistake and is now just trying to piss us off.

Then, last Friday, the buyer’s receive their check from the DOT. They deposit the check, and we expected to hear from the broker this week that the closing is scheduled.

When we didn’t hear anything on Monday, we called the broker, only to have his answering service tell us that he’s out of town for the week. We leave a message for the guy in his office who is supposedly covering for him, but he doesn’t call us back. We drive to their office, but it’s just a store front, and nobody is there. We call the closing attorney, and he tells us that he is ready to close, but is just waiting for the broker to send him the loan package (he apparently talked to the broker a few days ago, but hasn’t heard from him since). The broker is apparently not answering the buyer’s agent calls either.

Given all this, it seem unlikely that we’ll close this deal by Friday, at which point our contract with the buyers expires and we need to extend the contract (or terminate it). It’s worth noting that the buyer is a military friend of the broker (that’s why he was chosen), but the buyer is really pissed as well, as they’re paying rent until they can close this thing. In fact, the buyers have asked us if they can move in prior to closing and pay us rent until close.

At this point, here are some things that I’m thinking about doing (and not doing):

* First and foremost, I’m not letting the buyers move in prior to closing, regardless of how much rent they pay. Our holding costs are about $250 a week on this property, but I’d rather keep spending that than take a chance on the buyers moving in and then not closing (and having to fix up the property again);

* Wait for the broker to get back into town and let him schedule the closing for whenever he gets around to it; in other words, don’t rock the boat and risk losing the deal;

* Demand that the buyers close with our lender instead. This will likely take about 2 weeks from today, which won’t make them happy, and they also won’t be happy having to deal with all the application work again. That said, our lender says it shouldn’t cost any extra money, assuming he can get the appraisals transferred from the current broker (unlikely in my opinion) and the buyers are a bit peeved at their broker right now. The down side to this is that it would cost an extra $500 in holding costs to wait the extra two weeks to close;

* Charge the buyers or their agent an extra $500-1000 to cover some of our extra holding costs. I’d hate to impose this on the buyers (it’s not their fault), but the agent is ultimately responsible for ensuring a smooth closing from their side, and that hasn’t happened. He’s currently getting a $700 bonus on top of his commission (we offered it as part of the deal), but I’m thinking he deserves a penalty for letting this get out of hand

* Do some combination of the above;

* Listen to suggestions from others…hint, hint… ;-)

Okay, any suggestions? And if I just wait it out and let the lender take his good ‘ole time, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can retaliate against this lender after the deal closes (I’m okay with anything really, really mean-spirited, as long as it’s not illegal)…

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions on how to deal with this VERY FRUSTRATING situation...

Loading replies...