Am I getting the short end of the stick? 5/10 AM

Am I getting the short end of the stick? 5/10 AM

Real Estate Broker · Hartsville, SC · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 69 votes

Hey guys, 

I need more help! I have a rental property in Darlington, SC worth about 75K that I'm trying to get a LOC on. I'd love to get 60K or so. I took the advice I've read on here and found a local bank willing to work with me. The only product that I'm being offered at the moment is a 5/10 AM. SO, 5 years of payments, amoratized over 10 years correct? That would mean a balloon payment at the end of 5 years! He says I could refi after 5 years, but the interest would be dependent on the market rate. My credit score is about 750.

I can see this being useful for flipping. ( 20-30K property, 10-20K rehab, 70-80K ARV) but I feel like there's something better out there. How are you getting longer term financing??? Do I just need to talk to a different bank, or is this a decent way to leverage this property. Any suggestions on a different bank? And if so, could you send me contact info?

I had him go ahead and order an apparaisal, to get the ball rolling. I'll get to see what it's ACTUALLY worth instead of my guessing, so that's a positive no matter how the rest of it turns out.

FYI, I'm interested in both flipping and buy and hold. My current plan, If I can get some good working capital, is to flip a couple and then use the profits to purchase one for buy and hold. Repeat and build a nice portfolio.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
10y

I would speak with another two banks and also find out what they meant by 5/10 AM, is that a fixed five years and due in 10? What are the options when the draw period ends? Does the LOC become a 20 year fixed or balloon? Once your docs are put together for one bank, it's easy to know you're qualified and send your info. to another bank if needed.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lindon, UT · Member since 2015 · 862 posts · 438 votes
    10y

    I would speak with another two banks and also find out what they meant by 5/10 AM, is that a fixed five years and due in 10? What are the options when the draw period ends? Does the LOC become a 20 year fixed or balloon? Once your docs are put together for one bank, it's easy to know you're qualified and send your info. to another bank if needed.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    You could do a conventional Fannie Mae cash out refinance. I think they limit you to a 75% ltv, but you can get a fixed 30 year mortgage. Below is a link to their eligibility matrix.

    https://www.fanniemae.com/content/eligibility_information/eligibility-matrix.pdf

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    10y
    @Cameron Price You should be able to get a 30 yr fixed conventional loan. The LTV will depend on the type of property, but should not be below 65% LTV.

    Find an another lender.

    Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

    Federal NMLS# 1374243

  • Real Estate Broker · Hartsville, SC · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 69 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Darren Eady:

    I would speak with another two banks and also find out what they meant by 5/10 AM, is that a fixed five years and due in 10? What are the options when the draw period ends? Does the LOC become a 20 year fixed or balloon? Once your docs are put together for one bank, it's easy to know you're qualified and send your info. to another bank if needed.

     After more conversation and another call to a different bank, this means a 10 year repayment period with a 5 year commitment on the interest rate. Interest rate is reevaluated (AKA increased!) at the 5 year mark.

    And yeah, after getting all this info together. I can easily send it to other banks now :)

    Thanks for helping me clear this up, Darren. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Hartsville, SC · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 69 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    You could do a conventional Fannie Mae cash out refinance. I think they limit you to a 75% ltv, but you can get a fixed 30 year mortgage. Below is a link to their eligibility matrix.

    https://www.fanniemae.com/content/eligibility_info...

     Thank you Rusell. That is very useful. I wonder what 6 months of reserves is? Debt service? Living expenses? Both?

    Also didnt see interest rates listed.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    @Cameron Price 6 months reserves is 6 months of payments. PITI. Usually the lenders require 6 months for each investment property, and 2 months for each primary residence. The reserve requirements i think can be up to 12 months if the credit score drops below a certain threshold.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hartsville, SC · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 69 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Upen Patel:
    @Cameron Price You should be able to get a 30 yr fixed conventional loan. The LTV will depend on the type of property, but should not be below 65% LTV.

    Find an another lender.

    Upen Patel, Mortgage Banker

    Federal NMLS# 1374243

    Thank you Upen. I'm checking into this now. 

    Is there not a revolving type product like a HELOC that locks in interest rates for a long term like a 30 year mortgage does? I dont particularly need the 50-60K for 30 years on this propety, I already own it. I'd love to be ably to take draws and pay back as needed. I may be trying to have my cake and eat it too, but what good is cake if you cant eat it? :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2014 · 117 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    Wells Fargo has some great flexible long term HELOC products I have used.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.