Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes
Arman Tannu
Votes |
Financing Advice for Potential Triplex Deal

Arman Tannu
Posted Apr 29 2024, 19:19

I am looking at a property here in FL that is listed as a single family for 470k but is functionally a triplex (3/2 house with a guest house in back that has 2 units, one is a 1/1 and the other is a studio, both units in guesthouse have kitchens). I was considering doing an FHA loan as I could live in it for a year. But I was wondering if it would be better to look into private lenders. I could pull about $4500 in monthly rent. I am also certain I can get this for less than $470k. Would love to connect with someone that could offer some guidance. Also, if you are a lender or know a lender I'd love to chat!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Park
  • Lender
  • 5760 Northampton Blvd Ste 108 Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Votes |
  • Lender
  • 5760 Northampton Blvd Ste 108 Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Replied Apr 29 2024, 20:06
Quote from @Arman Tannu:

I am looking at a property here in FL that is listed as a single family for 470k but is functionally a triplex (3/2 house with a guest house in back that has 2 units, one is a 1/1 and the other is a studio, both units in guesthouse have kitchens). I was considering doing an FHA loan as I could live in it for a year. But I was wondering if it would be better to look into private lenders. I could pull about $4500 in monthly rent. I am also certain I can get this for less than $470k. Would love to connect with someone that could offer some guidance. Also, if you are a lender or know a lender I'd love to chat! Cell: 9733091249

Hey Arman,
I think it all depends on what you're looking to do. If you are looking to house hack and go the traditional route, it would most likely give you the lowest down payment option. There are multiple options depending on your end goal, capital position, long term/short term strategy etc.. 
Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Croucier
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas TX
Replied Apr 30 2024, 01:56

Seems like a good deal, I have a 15% down DSCR product that seems perfect for this!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 30 2024, 04:55
Quote from @Arman Tannu:

I am looking at a property here in FL that is listed as a single family for 470k but is functionally a triplex (3/2 house with a guest house in back that has 2 units, one is a 1/1 and the other is a studio, both units in guesthouse have kitchens). I was considering doing an FHA loan as I could live in it for a year. But I was wondering if it would be better to look into private lenders. I could pull about $4500 in monthly rent. I am also certain I can get this for less than $470k. Would love to connect with someone that could offer some guidance. Also, if you are a lender or know a lender I'd love to chat! Cell: 9733091249

This is an interesting opportunity and I think you are on the right track. ADUs and their income potential are a hot trend right now in real estate investing and as usual, the conventional lenders (FHA etc) are going to be slower to adapt

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Minocchi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Massillon, OH
Replied Apr 30 2024, 07:32

Hey Arman - 

If you're open to living in it for at least a year, owner-occupancy will be the lowest down payment option. If you don't want to occupy, there are other options that look at the income potential of the property and do NOT factor in your income, employment history or DTI but you'll have a significantly higher minimum down payment - plan on 20% to be safe. Income, employment and DTI would be factors with an owner occupied loan, so if you think you might have issues qualifying, making it strictly an investment property may be your best bet. Happy to chat, feel free to connect! 

Barrett Financial Group, L.L.C. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alex Hunt
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Apr 30 2024, 09:08

Let’s chat on this! 
FHA maybe hard as unsure if it's a permitted 3 unit, if not it won't pass FHA guidelines.
DSCR would be the easiest route and then you can rent all the units instead of living in 1 and cutting your cash flow to 2 versus 3.

User Stats

Votes
Sasha Mohammed
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Apr 30 2024, 11:34

sounds like a good deal. a couple things of note to hopefully help: 

SFR w/ ADU is fantastic, you don't want this to be a triplex on paper. do your DD here, and make sure those ADU's are properly permitted as such.

if you intend to live in the property you will have to qualify w/ some type of ATR rules (income/ Ability to Repay). This doesn't mean you're stuck to conventional/ FHA, although those will give you the best terms (lowest down and best rates). there are NonQM options you could look into as well.

DSCR is a great option if you do not intend to live in it. DSCR will not allow for owner-occupancy, and also will require much larger down payments. BUT you can skip the income piece, as "qualifying" will be based on rents received, not your personal income.

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Apr 30 2024, 17:10

How big is each unit ? Does it have a variance to for multifamily ?