Skip to content
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice

User Stats

Votes

My mortgage has went up twice

Brianna Johnson
Posted Apr 17 2024, 10:45

Hi there my mortgage has went up twice my escrow account had a shortage last year and now this year. What can I do so that my escrow account does not have a shortage? 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Apr 17 2024, 11:03

Assuming you are at 80% LTV or lower, you do not need to escrow funds and can pay your own taxes and insurance instead.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brianna Johnson
Replied Apr 17 2024, 12:06

I’m in SC do you know how I would go about paying my own taxes and insurance? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Martinez
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 17 2024, 12:25

You can call them and ask them what the shortage is and just pay that upfront so there is no longer a shortage. If you do that, they can adjust your escrows back to normal. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 17 2024, 12:53
Quote from @Brianna Johnson:

Hi there my mortgage has went up twice my escrow account had a shortage last year and now this year. What can I do so that my escrow account does not have a shortage? 

Your escrow is simply your property taxes and your home owners insurance. And both of those things go up. and up and up lately it seems. You just need to keep up with what those numbers are because you have access to that information when they go up. Pay attention to those notices. 

Then when you pay your mortgage every month to your mortgage servicer there is a field you can add extra every month for your escrow. that way the next year your escrow account will not have to double up to catch up. 

• Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brianna Johnson
Replied Apr 17 2024, 13:08

How much would you put in the escrow account if you were me?

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Apr 18 2024, 03:33

@Brianna Johnson you’ll need to find out from your mortgage company how much extra you can pay into an escrow account because many have overage triggers where they’ll send it back to you if it goes over their limits. You should be getting an annual escrow review showing new tax and insurance charges and how that affects your payments, usually you can either send the difference as one payment or they raise your monthly payments to cover it. It usually changes every year. Ours went up drastically this year due to rising assessments causing much higher real estate taxes, and insurance went up over 10%.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Grudzien
Pro Member
#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Eugene, OR
Replied Apr 18 2024, 13:31
Quote from @Brianna Johnson:

How much would you put in the escrow account if you were me?

Brianna,
There is not a generic amount.  It is all based on numbers: average tax increases, average insurance increases.  Talk to your mortgage company.
Mike