Looking for advice buying a primary residence along with a multi-family.

Looking for advice buying a primary residence along with a multi-family.

Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey appreciate any help or advice on this matter.

My wife and I currently live in a house which is owned by a family member. Directly next to it they own a 3-family rental house with a good chunk of mostly open land. My family wants to help me out and are willing to sell me both the house and the 3-family for a discounted price. The value of the property is approx. $1 million and they did receive offers for that price and more when they tested the market out. They agreed to sell it to me for $600,000, which is obviously a substantial discount. The property itself is used residentially but is also zoned for commercial use.

So I went and spoke to my local credit union who told me it wouldn't be a single transaction, they would be 2 separate sales. Not an issue. The problem I'm having right now is they wanted 25% down for the 3 family. So even if I did split the 600K asking into $400k on my "primary" single family(400K is the approx. value) and 200K on the multi-family they still want 50K down on the multi-family (plus double the closing costs so approx. 7-8K x 2 = 14-16K)  

At first I thought no big deal, I've got at least 400k of equity being gifted to me, but I was informed they don't allow gifts of equity for "investment properties" (My stomach sank when I was told this, still don't understand it.)  So now, I'm in a bit of a bind, this opportunity came up a bit unexpectedly, and while I have a decent savings being built up I'm not able to throw 50-65k cash down. My family figured giving such a large gift of equity would be an aid in that area. 

Just to paint the whole picture, the 3-family has 3 long time tenants-at-will who agreed to sign lease agreements and have been consistently and faithfully paying rent for 10+ years. Currently brings in $3,500/month. DTI ratio would be in good order, well under 36%. My wife and I make decent money and don't have a ton of debts. I'm around 90k a year, she sits around 65K. Our Credit score average is around 700.

So I wasn't sure what my next step should be. I've researched and understand there are creative ways such as seller financing or just saving more money, but this a bit time sensitive.  (They're old, not wanting to drag things out)

If there is ANY possible solutions to getting financed I'd like to find it. Seems all the numbers make too much sense as far as having quite a bit of equity and the DTI ratio. Just down payment requirements and restrictions are killing us.

Once again I really appreciate any advice on this matter, thanks. Any questions please ask.

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hey appreciate any help or advice on this matter.

    My wife and I currently live in a house which is owned by a family member. Directly next to it they own a 3-family rental house with a good chunk of mostly open land. My family wants to help me out and are willing to sell me both the house and the 3-family for a discounted price. The value of the property is approx. $1 million and they did receive offers for that price and more when they tested the market out. They agreed to sell it to me for $600,000, which is obviously a substantial discount. The property itself is used residentially but is also zoned for commercial use.

    So I went and spoke to my local credit union who told me it wouldn't be a single transaction, they would be 2 separate sales. Not an issue. The problem I'm having right now is they wanted 25% down for the 3 family. So even if I did split the 600K asking into $400k on my "primary" single family(400K is the approx. value) and 200K on the multi-family they still want 50K down on the multi-family (plus double the closing costs so approx. 7-8K x 2 = 14-16K)  

    At first I thought no big deal, I've got at least 400k of equity being gifted to me, but I was informed they don't allow gifts of equity for "investment properties" (My stomach sank when I was told this, still don't understand it.)  So now, I'm in a bit of a bind, this opportunity came up a bit unexpectedly, and while I have a decent savings being built up I'm not able to throw 50-65k cash down. My family figured giving such a large gift of equity would be an aid in that area. 

    Just to paint the whole picture, the 3-family has 3 long time tenants-at-will who agreed to sign lease agreements and have been consistently and faithfully paying rent for 10+ years. Currently brings in $3,500/month. DTI ratio would be in good order, well under 36%. My wife and I make decent money and don't have a ton of debts. I'm around 90k a year, she sits around 65K. Our Credit score average is around 700.

    So I wasn't sure what my next step should be. I've researched and understand there are creative ways such as seller financing or just saving more money, but this a bit time sensitive.  (They're old, not wanting to drag things out)

    If there is ANY possible solutions to getting financed I'd like to find it. Seems all the numbers make too much sense as far as having quite a bit of equity and the DTI ratio. Just down payment requirements and restrictions are killing us.

    Once again I really appreciate any advice on this matter, thanks. Any questions please ask.

     Hey Justin, 

    Will the MFH be your primary residence or the single family home?

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

     The single family would be my primary residence. It's my primary residence now, I've been renting from them for a while.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Account Closed

    I think I'm following...

    I assume the two properties are on two different parcels / plots.  That would be driving the bank to want two transactions, each with its own deed, and because one is primary and one is investment.  Could you still have one transaction with two deeds and two mortgages, sure...  This is where lenders create restrictions for you...

    Yes, the gift of equity doesn't work as well as you think...  NOt even sure why mention it, but I haven't done a gift of equity transaction...

    So, it looks like you have pretty "no cash" on hand.  Decent credit.  Does  your family need the cash now?  Only if they don't need the cash would seller finance / owner carry back work.  Its really what are they willing to do..

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Account Closed

    I think I'm following...

    I assume the two properties are on two different parcels / plots.  That would be driving the bank to want two transactions, each with its own deed, and because one is primary and one is investment.  Could you still have one transaction with two deeds and two mortgages, sure...  This is where lenders create restrictions for you...

    Yes, the gift of equity doesn't work as well as you think...  NOt even sure why mention it, but I haven't done a gift of equity transaction...

    So, it looks like you have pretty "no cash" on hand.  Decent credit.  Does  your family need the cash now?  Only if they don't need the cash would seller finance / owner carry back work.  Its really what are they willing to do..


    You're correct. It's 2 different parcels/plots.

    It seemed a no brainer to mention the gift of equity. It would be 40%+ the market value for the combined properties, thus reducing the risk for a lender. Figured that's an important piece of information, I stand corrected if wrong.

    At this moment cash on hand is just north of 25K. 

    Yes, I'd like to get them the cash now if possible. 


    I understand seller financing would be a secondary option, but would be a last resort and I'm trying to avoid that. I want to give them the money in total up front. It's a huge blessing for them to offer the property to me at that price, especially after 2 very good offers.

    Just trying to do best by them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.