Commercial Lending - Small Business / Commercial real estate

Commercial Lending - Small Business / Commercial real estate

Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 7 votes

Actually this is Sarasota area - I wasn't anticipating getting in to the commercial space but an opportunity came up and so I went with it. The first load went OK but I just have another opportunity in hand and trying to find another commercial lender. One think I have noticed is that commercial lenders don't like small loan amounts - I am looking for $137K with 20% down. So I need a small commercial lender. Any recommendations welcome - or creative financing ideas. I could pay cash but would leave me tight and need some wiggle room

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 7 votes
3y
Quote from @Bonnie Griffin Kaake:

@Damian Callaghan   Have you considered doing cost segregation on the other properties you own? It is like getting a free loan from the IRS. If you didn't have Federal taxes to pay on the other properties it just might give you some wiggle room for further investing and leveraging what you do have. 


this is new to me. I will have to investigate this further to better understand how it could help 

thanks for the suggestion 
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Damian Callaghan

    Try a private lender, reason do not like those loans is cost to underwrite is not cheap and and for loans under $250k or $500k are not worth it

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Chris - thanks for the recommendation. How would one go about finding a private lender?

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Damian Callaghan:

    Actually this is Sarasota area - I wasn't anticipating getting in to the commercial space but an opportunity came up and so I went with it. The first load went OK but I just have another opportunity in hand and trying to find another commercial lender. One think I have noticed is that commercial lenders don't like small loan amounts - I am looking for $137K with 20% down. So I need a small commercial lender. Any recommendations welcome - or creative financing ideas. I could pay cash but would leave me tight and need some wiggle room

    Damian, why isn't your current lender interested?  I'd be happy to try to assist with more info.

    @Damian Callaghanundefined

  • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    I was told the economy and ad I just acquired another property recently. And the value is small. But my credit and PnL is strong. I was informed the economy is making n lenders edgy with two loans in quick succession 



    Quote from @Scott Wolf:
    Quote from @Damian Callaghan:

    Actually this is Sarasota area - I wasn't anticipating getting in to the commercial space but an opportunity came up and so I went with it. The first load went OK but I just have another opportunity in hand and trying to find another commercial lender. One think I have noticed is that commercial lenders don't like small loan amounts - I am looking for $137K with 20% down. So I need a small commercial lender. Any recommendations welcome - or creative financing ideas. I could pay cash but would leave me tight and need some wiggle room

    Damian, why isn't your current lender interested?  I'd be happy to try to assist with more info.

    @Damian Callaghanundefined


  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    The reason lenders like us don't like small loans is that we're restricted on how much we can charge. If the loan is small enough, we can't recoup our costs to do the loan. 1% of $137K is only $1370, but it costs me about $1590 to do a loan like that in my costs. We typically set a minimum loan amount of $100K, but that's not a hard rule. Commercial Spaces are a different animal than residential. When I was a banker, I would do a loan at $137K all day long for a commercial space. I'm in Tampa and have been in lending and banking her for 27 years. Perhaps I can steer you to someone that might be able to help if we knew more about the specific type of space you're looking to finance. That will steer what I would recommend. 

  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 665 votes
    3y

    What kind of business? Just curious?

  • Lender · Denton, TX · Member since 2023 · 349 posts · 80 votes
    3y

    Yes, usually commercial lenders finance deal in the $500k + amount. Have you considered looking in your area for hard money, investor, fix and flip, renovation, DSCRR lenders? I believe some will be willing to help you out.

    Also, you should consider contacting a mortgage broker in your locality. Mortgage brokers usually are able to shop around and get bids from multiple banks and lenders and provide you with multiple financing bids from many lenders you could choose from. I would say you should consider these options

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 661 posts · 389 votes
    3y

    @Damian Callaghan   Have you considered doing cost segregation on the other properties you own? It is like getting a free loan from the IRS. If you didn't have Federal taxes to pay on the other properties it just might give you some wiggle room for further investing and leveraging what you do have. 

  • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bonnie Griffin Kaake:

    @Damian Callaghan   Have you considered doing cost segregation on the other properties you own? It is like getting a free loan from the IRS. If you didn't have Federal taxes to pay on the other properties it just might give you some wiggle room for further investing and leveraging what you do have. 


    this is new to me. I will have to investigate this further to better understand how it could help 

    thanks for the suggestion 
  • Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devin Peterson:

    What kind of business? Just curious?


     Happy to discuss further if you think you can service this loan. Direct message me 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.