Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Travis Peterson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
Best option for financing vacation home.

Travis Peterson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Minnesota
Posted Jan 20 2023, 07:39

I am looking to purchase a vacation home in the Phoenix AZ market. This will be a vacation home for my family and a STR when not in use by us. My budget is $1,200,000 and I can put 20% down. What is the best option/mortgage for me? Do I talk with a local bank, national bank, or mortgage broker?

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 20 2023, 08:46

I'd recommend talking to a mortgage broker that specializes in non-QM loans including "2nd Home" vacation loans

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Johnston
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 20 2023, 09:05

Hi @Travis Peterson.

It's always best to talk to a local loan officer as they are licensed in our state and have access to options beyond what banks may offer.

I will DM you lenders who have helped my BiggerPockets STR clients buy in Scottsdale and Metro Phoenix.

And I would be happy to be a resource for you, so please feel free to reach out.

Melanie

Realty ONE Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Johnston
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 20 2023, 09:59

@Travis Peterson

Here are some search results for different parts of town. For maximum flexibility when attracting short-term rental guests, always start your search with non-HOA neighborhoods.

There are even some neighborhoods without HOAs that have 30-day minimum rentals, but I've weeded those out.

This search includes homes priced up to $1,300,000, as most sellers are currently being flexible on price.

https://www.flexmls.com/share/...

Let me know when I can help.

Melanie

Realty ONE Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Art Shalomov
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 20 2023, 10:00

@Travis Peterson  You’ve got different options based on your personal financial picture. I would be happy to run through the highlights with you to see what might be your best option.
As an investor myself, and someone who works with a lot of BiggerPockets STR buyers, I can share what's working and make some recommendations.

CrossCountry Mortgage LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paul Defngin
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rockville, MD
Replied Jan 21 2023, 09:11

If you’re going conventional on a second home, you might want to consider putting even more down and make sure that your debt to income ratio is <41%, and credit at or above 780, ideally, as the GSE’s just made changes to the Loan Level Pricing Adjustment (LLPA) just got even more expensive effective 05.01.2023 but most lenders will either incorporate this into their pricing or will then. 

Vellum Mortgage, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jan 21 2023, 13:05
Quote from @Travis Peterson:

I am looking to purchase a vacation home in the Phoenix AZ market. This will be a vacation home for my family and a STR when not in use by us. My budget is $1,200,000 and I can put 20% down. What is the best option/mortgage for me? Do I talk with a local bank, national bank, or mortgage broker?

A mortgage broker will help you out with this. Especially one that understands this particular niche 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 21 2023, 15:01
Quote from @Erik Estrada:
Quote from @Travis Peterson:

A mortgage broker will help you out with this. Especially one that understands this particular niche 

Agreed

User Stats

Votes
Lyndsay Zwirlein
  • Lender
Votes |

Happy to help strategize with you. I am a mortgage broker and specialize in STR (conventional & non-QM products). We own several personally as well. I'll send you a note if you're still looking for options.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied May 1 2024, 19:40
Quote from @Melanie Johnston:

Hi @Travis Peterson.

It's always best to talk to a local loan officer as they are licensed in our state and have access to options beyond what banks may offer.

I will DM you lenders who have helped my BiggerPockets STR clients buy in Scottsdale and Metro Phoenix.

And I would be happy to be a resource for you, so please feel free to reach out.

Melanie

Hi, I'm looking for a community bank or portfolio lender who can offer a vacation home loan with a 10% down payment. Please let me know if you can offer 90% LTV AND are NOT a conventional lender. I am strictly looking for a Portfolio or Community lender.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied May 1 2024, 19:40
Quote from @Lyndsay Zwirlein:

Happy to help strategize with you. I am a mortgage broker and specialize in STR (conventional & non-QM products). We own several personally as well. I'll send you a note if you're still looking for options.

Hi, I'm looking for a community bank or portfolio lender who can offer a vacation home loan with a 10% down payment. Please let me know if you can offer 90% LTV AND are NOT a conventional lender. I am strictly looking for a Portfolio or Community lender.