Reserves: how much is good to save up?(General fund or per door?)
Hi all!
I will be nearing the one year mark since I began this crazy journey on 9/4 - when my first tenant moved into my parents house that I converted into a rental.
Since then I’ve grown to five doors - three of them SFHs and two condos.
My journey of on boarding has been as follows :
SFH - September 2020
Condo - December 2020
My old condo in the city - made that a rental - Feb 2021
SFH (first out of state investment) - April 2021
SFH (second out of state investment ) June 2021
It’s been an aggressive build, and have been building reserves during the process - as well as began a very small general portfolio fund. (Most of these properties cash flow so I’ve been diving into them when need be a little bit for ‘pleasure’ and to treat myself - but still have been throwing most back into reserves of future purchases.
Reserves currently look like this:
SFH - September 2020. - $1700 (will be completely depleted September because I have a turnover with a new tenant and my prop Mgmt fees take the first months rent - luckily that covers all my costs so nothing out of pocket )
Condo - December 2020 - 1550 (costs are about 660 a month)
My old condo in the city - made that a rental - Feb 2021 -
1800 - costs are 1400 (have had some minor repairs in the last year so have gone into reserves a few times but keep replenishing)
SFH (first out of state investment) - April 2021 - $600
SFH (second out of state investment ) June 2021 - $125
My general fund is only a few hundred -
I have a tenant that is late in their rent (first time this has happened) and it made me pause to think - do I slow down on scaling and build up reserves first to build a cushion? Do you take some of your day job money to build the cushion for the general fund? What is a ‘safe’ amount to have per property?
Again things happened sort of fast so taking a little pause to think what is logical to do next -
Really appreciate you all!
K-Man