Has anyone converted a rental into a vacation home?

Has anyone converted a rental into a vacation home?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes

I'm interested in buying a vacation home that can double as a real estate investment. I'm hoping it's possible to have my cake and eat it too, so curious to see if anyone else has attempted something similar before.

I'm a Los Angeles native working in tech with a pretty good income. Despite the fallout of the pandemic, 2020 was a pretty good year for stocks to say the least, and I'd like to diversify some of that into a more tangible asset like real estate. I'm currently looking at homes in Chandler and Scottsdale AZ, as well as Austin TX as I believe these to be great opportunities for appreciation, and I could see myself potentially moving out there after a few years.

I would be looking to buy with a loan due to all time low interest rates. At the same time, I don't want to buy a home which will simply sit while I pay the mortgage down, so ideally I would buy a SFH and rent in the meantime, eventually converting it into a vacation home somewhere down the line. I realize the implication is that loans on a rental are usually less favorable than say a primary or secondary residence, but I would imagine it still beats (from a financial perspective) holding an unused second home by a long shot.

Would be interested to see if anyone has done something similar. This is primarily an appreciation / vacation home play. I don't mind being slightly cash flow negative if it means I can take advantage of low interest rates and a booming geographic market.

0Reply
10 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 640 posts · 457 votes
    5y

    @Adrian Teng-Amnuay you can buy a "second home" with lower down payment and interest rate requirements. You can then use it yourself, while renting it on AirBnb/VRBO for the times you're not there. You could make it a long term rental, but technically that would violate the terms of the "second home" financing. If you want maximum flexibility, then classify it as an "investment property" and put 20%+ down. Then you can use or rent the property however you wish. I've helped out of state clients purchase a myriad of short/long term investment properties all over the Valley. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.