Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Gonzalez
Votes |
Which towns in the Poconos, PA allow short term rentals?

Jimmy Gonzalez
Posted Jan 11 2021, 16:37

I’m looking to buy a rental property in the Poconos area. I am researching the areas but I can’t find any information on which towns allow short term rentals. Does anybody have a list or know of a website? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Hernandez
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jan 12 2022, 09:36

@Steven Ruff Thanks for the info, husband and I are currently looking at there's lots of restrictions except for Pike county, which we are looking at in dingmans ferry. We have noticed wayne county has a ton of restrictions

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Hernandez
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jan 12 2022, 10:44
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Hernandez
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jan 12 2022, 10:45

@Xander Weidenbaum 

most of the str ordinances require having someone that can represent the owner that lives from 25-30 miles from the listing, are you close enough or do you have a recommendation on how to get around? Husband and i are looking at cresco, dingmans ferry and milanville but want to be sure we wont have an issue receiving a permit

User Stats

Votes
Steven Ruff
  • Staten Island NY Pike County PA, Pocono region PA
Votes |
  • Staten Island NY Pike County PA, Pocono region PA
Replied Jan 12 2022, 11:33
Originally posted by @Jennifer Hernandez:

@Xander Weidenbaum 

most of the str ordinances require having someone that can represent the owner that lives from 25-30 miles from the listing, are you close enough or do you have a recommendation on how to get around? Husband and i are looking at cresco, dingmans ferry and milanville but want to be sure we wont have an issue receiving a permit

palmyra and tafton are the townships in pike county that run along the east side of the lake. Palmyra to the south and tafton going north. Hawley is above tafton. Going south from the lake along 507 (lake wallanpaupack road) you run into Newfoundland, Sterling, and then Tobyhanna 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Shay
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Jan 15 2022, 14:05

STR is defined as 28 days or less by the state and in most zoning. One HOA has a quirky 14 day definition. If a township does shift their ordinances, owners still have the options to rent for a "season" which works well for places by ski resorts that sell annual passes or communities with amenities like Lakes and Pools. Blue Mountain has added mountain biking season passes for the warmer months, so season rentals are not just for ski season.

Lake Naomi states that owners that rent are required to use an approved real estate agency. If you look deep into the anxiety that communities have over STR, the issue is the anonymity of the guests. Using a realtor to manage rentals or having guests register with the community management office is one way to alleviate that anxiety and one way a POA/HOA supports its members. HOA's and townships will tighten and loosen their rules and regulations based on the input of their constituents. There is an old saying that people get involved in local elected office (township commissioners or HOA boards) for one of two reasons: revenge or self-interest. If owners work together, they have some clout.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Flock
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 23 2022, 17:44

Does anyone have any experience in obtaining a TDU permit in Pocono Township? I have been reading the covenants, and although 'strict' seem very feasible. Thanks and appreciate any guidance. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 16 2022, 11:53
Quote from @Jimmy Gonzalez:

I’m looking to buy a rental property in the Poconos area. I am researching the areas but I can’t find any information on which towns allow short term rentals. Does anybody have a list or know of a website? Thanks.

I am a Realtor here in the Poconos and work mainly with Investors looking for STR. If you still need help. Let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 13 2022, 19:05

Tobyhanna is about to pass the most restrictive ordinance in all of Pennsylvania. It will destroy both the LTR and STR. Markets. A group of 400 Owners have gotten together and formed the Tobyhanna Short Term Rental Alliance to help push for reasonable, rational, and responsible ordinance within our community.

There is a meeting this Wednesday 3/16/2022 at 5pm ET with the Board of Supervisors to try to ask for changes to the draft.

If you support a fair ordinance you should attend either in person or virtually.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 14 2022, 04:39

I am a REALTOR in the Poconos. I work with investors. Message me if anyone still needs help here.

User Stats

Votes
Cindy Cheng
Votes |
Replied Mar 14 2022, 07:23
As we all know, an attorney costs a fortune and we have hired one to defend our rights and ask for a fair ordinance. for those interested in joining the discussion and being represented, donate $200+ at our GoFundMe page 

https://gofund.me/02d04536

Quote from @Hanna Tobyson:

Tobyhanna is about to pass the most restrictive ordinance in all of Pennsylvania. It will destroy both the LTR and STR. Markets. A group of 400 Owners have gotten together and formed the Tobyhanna Short Term Rental Alliance to help push for reasonable, rational, and responsible ordinance within our community.

There is a meeting this Wednesday 3/16/2022 at 5pm ET with the Board of Supervisors to try to ask for changes to the draft.

If you support a fair ordinance you should attend either in person or virtually.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Rankin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NY, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NY, NY
Replied Mar 22 2022, 06:17

Hi!  Just an update on this topic, the meeting is now tomorrow (Weds 3/23) at Kalahari if anyone is interested in voicing their opinion on the Tobyhanna ordinance.  This site has the info-  https://www.tobyhannaforall.co...

Hope to see you there!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 27 2022, 07:22

Hi, I'm looking to expand my STR business here in the Poconos area, I'm researching the area now, Any local Realtors here that can offer their advice?

Thanks

Tzvi Adler

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Your Nationwide Lending Partner in 47 States! Unbeatable rates & expedited loan programs for busy investors. Save more with a $550 credit today.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 9 2022, 20:49
Quote from @Mark Shay:

STR is defined as 28 days or less by the state and in most zoning. One HOA has a quirky 14 day definition. If a township does shift their ordinances, owners still have the options to rent for a "season" which works well for places by ski resorts that sell annual passes or communities with amenities like Lakes and Pools. Blue Mountain has added mountain biking season passes for the warmer months, so season rentals are not just for ski season.

Lake Naomi states that owners that rent are required to use an approved real estate agency. If you look deep into the anxiety that communities have over STR, the issue is the anonymity of the guests. Using a realtor to manage rentals or having guests register with the community management office is one way to alleviate that anxiety and one way a POA/HOA supports its members. HOA's and townships will tighten and loosen their rules and regulations based on the input of their constituents. There is an old saying that people get involved in local elected office (township commissioners or HOA boards) for one of two reasons: revenge or self-interest. If owners work together, they have some clout.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 9 2022, 20:52
Hi Mark, Do you know anything about the STR regulations for Stroudsburg Monroe county. Thoughts on this area. I'm looking to purchase my first STR up there

Quote from @Mark Shay:

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 9 2022, 21:00

Does anyone know anything about the STR regulations for Stroudsburg Monroe county. Thoughts on this area. I'm looking to purchase my first STR up there. 

User Stats

Votes
James Stout
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jun 10 2022, 04:06
Quote from @Steven Ruff:

I am new here, getting rid of my STR this spring which is 6 houses from lake wallanpaupack. Deeded boat slip (deeded partial ownership of two lake front lots with slips, shared by 16 houses in the area. Guaranteed slip) palmyra township, pike county so STR is legal. My lot is 1.5 acres. No community or HOA. Awesome place wish I could keep it but I'm moving my primary residence (ny) to Florida and will be investing down there instead. If anyone has any questions about wallanpaupack and the real estate there feel free to ask. Palmyra requires a permit which basically just proves that you aren't overloading your septic system. Pike county is the east side of the lake and Wayne county is the west side of the lake. Wayne county doesn't allow STR.

Steve, did you end up selling or is this property still available?

User Stats

Votes
Dami F.
  • Investor
  • Aston, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Aston, PA
Replied Jan 26 2023, 13:30

wow! so much information on this thread. Shout out to @Mark Shay! Let's connect!