Tax lien foreclosure question

Tax lien foreclosure question

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Got a situation and could use some advice and guidance. I was approached to buy a house that was a tax lien foreclosure. After investigating it further I found that the owner can come and still claim the house and pay what’s owed to get house back within a year of the judgement. The person that approached me was simply issued a judgment to purchase the house for what’s owed. I’ve heard from the owner of a title company that said he would not issue a title for a year because the owner can still claim it if he pays the taxes plus other fees. Is there a way for me to go straight to the owner to redeem the house and I pay him a fee for his time plus what ever he owes to get the house directly from him so I don’t run into any issues of losing my investment or do I take the risk buy it from the guy that approached me and just hope the original owner does not redeem house in that year? There is a title company that will issue a title 90 days from judgement but not sure if I go to sell house within that year if I could get another title company to issue a title if needed buy another buyer?

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2020 · 232 posts · 116 votes
    5y

    @Phil Sirmarco What state is this property located in? Since the rules are different in each state.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    If there is redemption period, do Not buy for much more than the taxes owed....unless you get a QCD from the previous owner.....which is what Iveould try Now, and forget the lien holder guy, if you can. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.