A plan that makes sense

A plan that makes sense

Investor · Humble, TX · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 2 votes

I recently read (about a month ago) Brandon Turner's 7 years to 7 figure wealth and wow, he really nailed it! This motivated me to make a plan of my own, and so I set out to do so. I was almost instantly stopped by the thought of being realistic. I realize without a plan I'll get no where, but after all it has to make sense right? Common sense tells me that I can't make $100,000 in a month, but as a "newbie" it's quite confusing as to what's realistic when investing in real estate. Before writing this question I read a post where a guy was being told by a couple of readers that his plan would have him moving too slow and may potentially miss out on deals. This made the confusion even worse. My question is how do you develop a plan that works for you without over shooting it or not being agressive enough? I admit I even thought about taking Brandon's plan and manipulating it to fit a single family home scenario, but I started to feel that would have been just plan wrong.

Is there anyone who may be able to help me make planning make sense?

Thanks

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Hey Marcus McCauther thanks for the kind words about my little book :) I'm a huge fan of making a plan. I like that by making a plan, you are able to turn your investing into a much more "now fill in the blank" sort of business, which helps keep you on track.

However - keep in mind that a plan is never going to perfect or followed perfectly. But it's a good guide.

First- have you checked out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing?" If not - definitely do so.

Secondly, I think a lot of the realism comes through "talking shop" and the forums here are the best place to do so. For example, you want to do single family homes - great! So, I'd start at the end - what's your goal?

Let's just say, hypothetically, you want to earn $10,000 per month in passive income from real estate.

That's 100 houses, each earning $100 per month in cashflow. OR that's 50 houses each earning $200 per month cashflow. OR 25 houses, each earning $400 per month cashflow.

Next, I'd look at your market. What kind of cashflow is possible? Take a look at the properties nearby and what they are selling for (the cheaper ones, hopefully, that maybe need just a little bit of work to make them rentable to a nice family.) If you can pick up a single family house for $70,000 total (if it's normally priced at $100,000) and it will rent for $900 per month, then figure out the cashflow on that. If you put down 20%, and mortgaged $56,000 - then you'd have a payment (principle, interest, taxes, insurance) of around $500. So, if you had NO maintenance or vacancies, you'd have $400 per month in cashflow. In reality? You'd probably be closer to $200, after those expenses.

Okay, so now you've got $200 per month per unit is average for your area. That means if you want $10,000 per month, you'd need 50 houses. That could be 5 houses every year, for ten years - OR it could be 10 houses each year for 5 years.

Next comes the financing - is that possible? Can you put down 20% on 5 properties per year? That's quite a bit of money. Can you find partners to put down 20%, and then you'd have to do twice as many (because you'll be splitting the cashflow 50/50?)

OR - can you find deals that are SO good, that your "down payment" becomes the good deal? For example - up above with the 70,000 house. What if you worked your tail off (direct mail, using wholesalers, etc) to buy the house for $50,000? Same numbers - no down payment. (Well, it's more complicated than that, cause a bank is gonna wanna still see you have an investment, but you could buy with hard/private money and refinance.)

There is also the issue of the "10 property cap" that you'll run into. They won't let you mortgage more than 10 properties. SO partners probably ARE going to be a big part of the strategy.

Unless.

You buy 10 houses, 2 each year. That's attainable, I think. Each one (using the example numbers above) are giving $200 per month in cashflow and you have $50,000 in equity in each (worth $100,000, your mortgage is for $50,000.) So, after 5 years, you've got $2000 per month in passive income, and you've got $500,000 in equity.

I bet you could "Trade-Up" that into a bigger deal that cashflows MUCH better. What kind of deal? Commercial, multifamily, or something? Go back to step one and look in your area - what are multifamily properties selling for? What could $500,000 buy you? What kind of down payment could that provide for?

Here's the bottom line: It's fun (for me anyways) to just sit down and do this plan on paper (or computer, like I've done before.) Then, take your ideas and throw them up on the BP forums and ask. "Hey BP - Is it possible to buy 2 houses each year? I make $50,000 per year and only live on $30,000 of it." Then BP can help you know if it's reasonable, or what would make it more so. Then, you go back, tweak your plan, rebuild, etc.

Again - you won't be able to follow your plan perfectly, and your interests might change, the properties that make the most sense might change, or the economy might change. But Math never changes - so if you can make the math work, it's easy to adapt.

Wow, that was super long! I hope it helped some. Thoughts?

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Marcus McCauther thanks for the kind words about my little book :) I'm a huge fan of making a plan. I like that by making a plan, you are able to turn your investing into a much more "now fill in the blank" sort of business, which helps keep you on track.

    However - keep in mind that a plan is never going to perfect or followed perfectly. But it's a good guide.

    First- have you checked out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing?" If not - definitely do so.

    Secondly, I think a lot of the realism comes through "talking shop" and the forums here are the best place to do so. For example, you want to do single family homes - great! So, I'd start at the end - what's your goal?

    Let's just say, hypothetically, you want to earn $10,000 per month in passive income from real estate.

    That's 100 houses, each earning $100 per month in cashflow. OR that's 50 houses each earning $200 per month cashflow. OR 25 houses, each earning $400 per month cashflow.

    Next, I'd look at your market. What kind of cashflow is possible? Take a look at the properties nearby and what they are selling for (the cheaper ones, hopefully, that maybe need just a little bit of work to make them rentable to a nice family.) If you can pick up a single family house for $70,000 total (if it's normally priced at $100,000) and it will rent for $900 per month, then figure out the cashflow on that. If you put down 20%, and mortgaged $56,000 - then you'd have a payment (principle, interest, taxes, insurance) of around $500. So, if you had NO maintenance or vacancies, you'd have $400 per month in cashflow. In reality? You'd probably be closer to $200, after those expenses.

    Okay, so now you've got $200 per month per unit is average for your area. That means if you want $10,000 per month, you'd need 50 houses. That could be 5 houses every year, for ten years - OR it could be 10 houses each year for 5 years.

    Next comes the financing - is that possible? Can you put down 20% on 5 properties per year? That's quite a bit of money. Can you find partners to put down 20%, and then you'd have to do twice as many (because you'll be splitting the cashflow 50/50?)

    OR - can you find deals that are SO good, that your "down payment" becomes the good deal? For example - up above with the 70,000 house. What if you worked your tail off (direct mail, using wholesalers, etc) to buy the house for $50,000? Same numbers - no down payment. (Well, it's more complicated than that, cause a bank is gonna wanna still see you have an investment, but you could buy with hard/private money and refinance.)

    There is also the issue of the "10 property cap" that you'll run into. They won't let you mortgage more than 10 properties. SO partners probably ARE going to be a big part of the strategy.

    Unless.

    You buy 10 houses, 2 each year. That's attainable, I think. Each one (using the example numbers above) are giving $200 per month in cashflow and you have $50,000 in equity in each (worth $100,000, your mortgage is for $50,000.) So, after 5 years, you've got $2000 per month in passive income, and you've got $500,000 in equity.

    I bet you could "Trade-Up" that into a bigger deal that cashflows MUCH better. What kind of deal? Commercial, multifamily, or something? Go back to step one and look in your area - what are multifamily properties selling for? What could $500,000 buy you? What kind of down payment could that provide for?

    Here's the bottom line: It's fun (for me anyways) to just sit down and do this plan on paper (or computer, like I've done before.) Then, take your ideas and throw them up on the BP forums and ask. "Hey BP - Is it possible to buy 2 houses each year? I make $50,000 per year and only live on $30,000 of it." Then BP can help you know if it's reasonable, or what would make it more so. Then, you go back, tweak your plan, rebuild, etc.

    Again - you won't be able to follow your plan perfectly, and your interests might change, the properties that make the most sense might change, or the economy might change. But Math never changes - so if you can make the math work, it's easy to adapt.

    Wow, that was super long! I hope it helped some. Thoughts?

  • Virtual Assistant · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2013 · 167 posts · 44 votes
    13y

    PLAN YES! AWESOME!

    I run into so many businessmen and women(well women are smart they almost always have a plan) who do not have a PLAN or GOAL. Your goal cannot be make as much money as possible. You have to set goals and make good plans.

    This will reduce a lot of stress for you personally as well. Right on for making the move towards organizing your business.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Marcus, I would simply start with personal analysis of your own basic facts. Figure out how much cash you have to invest right now. If first-time home-buyer, do you have 0-down options in your state and a plan to owner occupy, like a duplex or triplex? (much less down payment required, great for first-time investment property). If not, you'll need investment loans instead, so how many down payments figuring 20% min. plus funds to repair do you have right now? (so you'll need to research your preference for average home price, if you're up for total rehabs or just cosmetic repairs, etc.) Will you fix and flip, rent, or do a combination of both? Do you have other financing options available (family, friends, etc.)? Do you have a reserve account (401K is great for this). How much can you save monthly if you need to build savings? Do you have great credit, need credit repair, or need to build credit? Just go down and pinpoint all the relevant facts you actually know or can actually estimate in your life right now. Once you have all that data in place, a plan should start to form that naturally makes sense for you. I think as a beginning investor, I'd rather miss out on a few deals than jump in before you're ready, and once your plan evolves, the deals will make sense within your parameters or they won't. If they make sense, it will be easy to act, so I wouldn't worry about not being aggressive enough.

  • Investor · Humble, TX · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Wow, these responses are far more than what I thought I'd get. Brandon Turner I never would have thought I'd be engaged in conversation with you all. This is by far the best community I've been apart of! Even the guys who play major roles aren't to high up to the point where they can't respond.

    Well, you guys really just laid it out there for me. I'm not feeling so good about not posting this sooner. Better late than never right? For the past day and a half I've been having lots of fun playing around with the numbers given in the plan above. Well not just numbers, I did some driving around my area yesterday to do the research you guys suggested and get this! I ran into an investor who has properties in our area as well as surrounding areas of Houston. She's cash flowing around $8,000 a month. After telling her my reason for driving circles around my area (after looking at the notes I made from this post), she offered to lend a helping hand. The fact that I was even attemping to make a plan, drive the neighborhoods, knew the different types of investment avenues I could take, and knew multiple exit stratagies really impressed her. I owe that to you guys and "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing" book.

    My wife and I are both process engineers (chemical engineers), so our finances are okay. Being the first in our to graduate from college caused our credit to take a few bumps, but we are working on ironing those out.

    I like the idea of builing equity in order to trade up! I read the book so, I didn't think it would be quite as possible for single family homes as it would be with multifamily homes. After reading your responses I see that it's totally possible. I have printed this thread, highlighted, underlined, and have began to develop a plan that fits our financial needs and goals. If planning is this much fun I can on imagine what it feels like to implement them!

    Again guys thanks for your help and you'll be hearing more from me on this site.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.