Find the Deal or Find the Funding?

Find the Deal or Find the Funding?

New to Real Estate · Midwest, United States · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes

In your experience, which would you choose and which has had better success?

A) Finding a great deal first, locking it down, and then find the funding on the great deal.

Or...

B) Secure funding first, with general terms, then find a great deal to apply it to?

From what I've researched it sounds like find a deal and then show the deal to the lenders.

However I see alot of comments on how that's foolish and is a quick way to fall on your face.

Thoughts?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Lorenzo WrightPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 121 votes
6y

@Alexander Burkard

These two components dont have to happen in any particular order.

I do both at the same time. Why wouldn't you want to know what you are qualified to buy as you are looking at properties. Why wouldn't you want to know the terms of the private/hard money lenders you are going to work with?

Every deal is going to be different. A trashed property won't qualify for traditional lending, so automatically I start thinking about the hard lending.

If you find a deal reach out to who you would fund it with. Or call a HML and see what terms they usually offer, then when you find a deal run the numbers that they gave you.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    Kinda depends on what kind of loan you're going after. 
    If it's hard money, I'd find the deal first, as they are much more likely to lend on a deal that makes sense for them.
    Conventional? I'd get pre-approved because it allows you to create better criteria for what you are searching for.

  • Member since 2020 · 122 posts · 62 votes
    6y

    There is plenty of capital while there is a lack of deals.  The deal has more value.

  • Lorenzo WrightPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 121 votes
    6y

    @Alexander Burkard

    These two components dont have to happen in any particular order.

    I do both at the same time. Why wouldn't you want to know what you are qualified to buy as you are looking at properties. Why wouldn't you want to know the terms of the private/hard money lenders you are going to work with?

    Every deal is going to be different. A trashed property won't qualify for traditional lending, so automatically I start thinking about the hard lending.

    If you find a deal reach out to who you would fund it with. Or call a HML and see what terms they usually offer, then when you find a deal run the numbers that they gave you.

    Good luck!

  • New to Real Estate · Midwest, United States · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Lorenzo Wright 

    Love the input! Thank you.

    Where do you go to find your HML's?

  • Lorenzo WrightPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 121 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Burkard:

    @Lorenzo Wright 

    Love the input! Thank you.

    Where do you go to find your HML's?

     I'm in Maryland. I just used a company called Hard Money Bankers. They are local and offered tons of insight and the closing was smooth and simple. I'd talk to a couple to compare the numbers and see who's a better fit. The BP marketplace has a bunch on there that you can call.

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    6y

    Depends. This question tends to come up most often from people with little experience. What do you think is easier for a new investor: successfully identifying and finding a good deal THEN developing a network and securing a reputable lender in 30 days to close a deal or meeting people, finding reputable lenders and then finding a deal where they have people in place already who can tell them whether it's a deal or not? I've dealt with way too many clients who have found a "deal" only to realize they can't afford it because they think you don't need money to buy real estate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.