What are options if I disagree with insurance for claim?

What are options if I disagree with insurance for claim?

Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 200 votes

Recently I had to file an insurance claim on one of my buildings:  

There was a break in and vandals cut away copper pipes throughout the utility area/basement.  A lot of money had to be spent to restore water service as it was difficult to trace what was cut and identify all the breaks.  Also, hot water boiler was damaged beyond repair.  Many other things had to be done such as clean up basement due to water flooding, place tenants in hotels given water service could not be restored in certain period, etc.

Early indication from insurance adjustor is that my insurance does not cover stolen property - cost of install water pipes and restore water service is NOT covered (water pipes are treated as stolen property).  While they think the damaged boiler is covered (still doing final determination).

I have fairly standard insurance.  I see water pipes as part of the building (similar to doors and windows).  If they are cut away, why it is treated similar to a stolen TV?  Has any one had similar claim with insurance and how are those claims treated?

I know insurance has financial incentive to deny as much claim as possible.  What are options to fight it if I disagree or have some insurance expert to review the coverage?

0Reply
22 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    I recommend hiring a public adjuster.   They can maximize your claim.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.