It's Feb 2012, what did you accomplish in the first month

It's Feb 2012, what did you accomplish in the first month

Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2009 · 163 posts · 20 votes

I thought I would touch on a different topic as a way to see how everyone has started off the year. One month is down and did you start off the year with a bang?

I was gearing up for a great 2012 until Fannie Mae wouldn't approve my mortgage without a central heating system. I had been working with the seller on the price and was able to get $5000 of the asking price, had the house appraised, talked to the property manager on how to improve the property, talked to Lowe's about screen doors, and made numerous trips to the house.

Just as I was about to close, the bank took forever to return my calls and finally said the house was unlivable since it lacked a heating source. Wish they would have told me that from the start. The seller wouldn't budge and provide any funding for central heat nor entertain the idea of splitting the central heat installation. So I told my agent I'll pass on this property and continue to look for the next deal. The property already had a page full of renovations I was planning to make. Adding a central heating system really threw my numbers off. During this time though, I have made various offers and met a good number of people selling homes as an agent or investor. I'm sure the right property has my name on it and just waiting till the right house goes on the market.

I did learn a lot the past two months, more than any book could have taught me. The market's changing and it's unforgiving. The key is to have a plan B and not fall in love with the property you're looking at. But I'm loving how 2012 is starting off.

Tom

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
14y
Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
J Scott have you posted about this? I'd love to hear the story...

I'm happy to tell the whole story once I receive the official letter from the IRS (a couple weeks), but long story short, I moved a large chunk of my retirement funds into a self-directed product offered by a relatively large financial company.

Shortly after doing so, my ERISA attorney made me aware of some investigations that the IRS and DOL were initiating into these types of products, and there was concern about whether they were legal or not. I immediately stopped investing the retirement funds and basically asked the IRS to "audit" exactly what I was doing to determine if it was legal; basically, if you initiate the audit and it turns out you did something wrong, the IRS will tend to be a lot more lenient than if they initiated the audit at a later date.

It's taken about a year, but I just got word that I should receive a final determination in a couple weeks, and it should be favorable (fingers crossed), meaning any future ruling the IRS or DOL makes on these types of retirement products in the future can't come back to hurt me.

Fun fact: If you flagrantly violate ERISA laws with how you use your retirement funds, the penalty from the IRS/DOL can be loss of your entire retirement portfolio PLUS 10% or more excise penalty that you'd have to pay out of pocket. Be careful out there!

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    1. Raised $200k for our fund.

    2. Closed on some dirt to develop SFR and sent docs for permits

    3. Found third bank to lend on construction financing and LOC

    January was a slow month. Hopefully February will ramp up some.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Good topic--we should do this monthly. I was just reviewing my January today and it was struggle, REI-wise. I did lease a couple of vacancies and should be close on filling a couple more. A bunch of other stuff I was planning to get done in January will slide to February.

    On the day job, I have no choice but to be very pleased. We had a (THE) key manager leave after 15 years and we didn't implode. In fact it wasn't a bad month, but it was my busiest in years, I think.

  • Investor · Verona, WI · Member since 2008 · 134 posts · 79 votes
    14y

    It's been a great 2012 already.

    1) Closed on the sale of one of our rentals (which was my personal home at one point).

    2) Closed on a tough duplex deal for a buyer client.

    3) Refinanced 2 of our duplexes.

    4) Had record level blog traffic.

    5) Started shopping for our own new home.

    6) Kept up with my workout plans.

    I should mention that #1 and #2 were both difficult for similar reasons that Thomas mentioned. The underwriter on both deals required repairs to be made. This is extremely frustrating when the buyer knows about the needed repairs, and the property is priced accordingly. Apparently, underwriters are now code enforcement officials. I don't know any way around this other than to expect this kind of lending to continue, price it in on the buying side, and do the repairs prior to listing on the selling side.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    January was a great month for us. We:
    1) Sold one rehab property
    2) Repaid two private loans
    3) Got back on schedule with a rehab project

    During February our goals are to:
    1) Sell one rehab property
    2) Get two purchases under contract

    Great thread idea!

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    14y

    I'm so glad this thread is here. Life has kept me super-busy and away from REI aspirations. I did get a Google Voice phone number with the word SELL in the number. Now...how to use that...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y

    It was a mixed month, but not too bad:

    - Made the decision to start adding single family rentals to our portfolio again. The goal is 10 over the next 2 years;

    - Found out that the one portfolio lender in Atlanta (at least the only one I know about) stopped lending on rehab properties, so my major source of leverage was cut off;

    - Raised $150K in private money...a first step to replacing some of the leverage lost when my bank stopped lending;

    - Put 3 properties (to be flipped) under contract, though one fell out of contract during due diligence;

    - Haven't been able to get a contract on the one property we've had listed for about 3 weeks;

    - Despite lots of offers, haven't been able to get contracts on any of the other properties that we've had listed for other investors (one of the slowest months I've seen for buyers in several years);

    - Got lots of "nasty" emails from blog readers asking why I've slowed down my posting... :(

    - Had the IRS issue a ruling on my use of a large chunk of my retirement funds -- they determined that I get to keep my money... :)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    J Scott have you posted about this? I'd love to hear the story...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    J Scott have you posted about this? I'd love to hear the story...

    I'm happy to tell the whole story once I receive the official letter from the IRS (a couple weeks), but long story short, I moved a large chunk of my retirement funds into a self-directed product offered by a relatively large financial company.

    Shortly after doing so, my ERISA attorney made me aware of some investigations that the IRS and DOL were initiating into these types of products, and there was concern about whether they were legal or not. I immediately stopped investing the retirement funds and basically asked the IRS to "audit" exactly what I was doing to determine if it was legal; basically, if you initiate the audit and it turns out you did something wrong, the IRS will tend to be a lot more lenient than if they initiated the audit at a later date.

    It's taken about a year, but I just got word that I should receive a final determination in a couple weeks, and it should be favorable (fingers crossed), meaning any future ruling the IRS or DOL makes on these types of retirement products in the future can't come back to hurt me.

    Fun fact: If you flagrantly violate ERISA laws with how you use your retirement funds, the penalty from the IRS/DOL can be loss of your entire retirement portfolio PLUS 10% or more excise penalty that you'd have to pay out of pocket. Be careful out there!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y

    Collected rent for February and that's it! ha!

    On a plus side for you developers, we are exploding with authorizations for new geotechnical studies and ESA Phase 1 studies so far this year at my day job.

    Several are part of due diligence studies I am working on right now for clients looking to get points reductions through Texas Department of Housing financing programs for low income apartment housing construction. Lots of individual residential and several small subdivisions, retail, plus a good mix of dorky engineering stuff for street reconstructions, forensic studies, etc. You name it, it's all going on.

    Shale gas is definitely having positive economic impact on small towns in south Texas, BTW.

    It could be a sharp flow to be followed by a big ebb, but we are about three times our anticipated volume for the first month. I'm so covered up in work at my JOB, I'm kinda glad I only have one rental right now.

    Good luck to all and lets hope this year keeps on strong!

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    1. Continued on a rehab I am working on.

    2. Had two rental units vacated and refilled within a week.

    3. Got notices for multiple city code violations and resolved them all before the deadlines.

    4. Made hotel reservations for BP Summit.

    5. Got new biz cards printed.

    6. Made new contacts with several local financial professionals.

    7. Joined and continue to participate in Toastmasters.

    8. Lost 10 lbs.

    9. Changed our family diet completely to healthy foods(this was TOUGH)

    10. Read a couple of books.

    Been too busy, that's all that I can think of right now.

  • Real Estate Investor · El Reno, OK · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    14y

    2012 has been super busy!

    Closed on a rental property Dec. 28th and fininshed the light remodel last week. Renters move in Friday.

    Closed on a house Jan. 13th that will be completely remodeled and hopefully be on the market early March.

    Also had a tenant with family issue's who left yesterday with a 2 day notice. Shouldn't take but a week or two until its rented.

    Also got a contract on a lot in town to build my first spec home!

    2012 looks to be a busy year! I was very slow from Sept.-Dec. I had no vacancies and couldn't find a house that fit my needs.

  • Property Manager · Savannah, GA · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    My husband and I are not trying to accomplish big monthly action, but we happened to be busy last month, and it happened to be January.

    We closed on a duplex. 1 unit is 4 bedrooms 2 full bath. The other unit is 5 bedrooms 2full bath. We have the bottom unit almost ready to rent, and have 2 showings set up for this week. We'll work on the upstairs unit over the weekend and hopefully have it available next week.

    We put a condo up for sale. It's been in my family about 30 yrs so it's not part of our business (we didnt aquire it as part of our business plan) but the profits will provide a huge well to dip into for future business. The condo has a full priced offer and now we are going down the Waiting To Close road.

    One of my rentals was vacated Jan 1st, and rented out again for Feb 1st. The kids wanted to move in a few days early, so they have been in about 3 days...they made it into my January month by two days!

    Thats about all the action we want to see for a year! Hopefully I'll get signed leases on the new duplex and that will be quiet for 2012.

    I have 1 last lease ending in April but the tenants already asked to extend it month to month. Maybe they will stay in for 2012...that would be great.

    My husband is looking to start an LLC with his father and buy 1 or 2 properties for it. That will likely happen sometime in 2012, but hopefully not till the Fall.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2010 · 115 posts · 83 votes
    14y

    Obtained 15 REO vacant florida lots in January from two different banks. Sold eight right away via ebay, craigslist (sold to buyers in France, South Africa, Azerbaijan Republic, San Tan Valley, Arizona, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma and Wakefield, Rhode Island. My business model? Well let's just say, "thank God for the Internet!" LOL!).

    Lots of work, little margins, but hey, that's what I do, ...my "labor of love"!

    2012 is off to a good start for me!

    Bob
    Land Rescue League LLC

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2011 · 252 posts · 56 votes
    14y

    Got my next rehab under contract
    Worked with architect to get the design of the home ready for approval with the local historical society.

  • Commercial Loan Officer · Southern Maine, ME · Member since 2009 · 782 posts · 415 votes
    14y

    I can contribute what I've done on the lending side, but maybe it'll give some of you hope that there is money being lent.

    1. I closed on an SBA loan for a Dollar Store in VT. The client reduced a lot of his business debt and was happy to close given two banks he approached denied the loan.

    2. Closed on a 32 unit in Garland, TX. This was a refinance that got the borrowers, of which 4 out of the 5 were Canadians. a rate that was 2 percent better than their old note. It also provided them with funds for capital updgrades.

    3. I ordered 250 postcards that I'll be mailing out to multifamily owners that will hopefully generate refinance leads. I need to buy a list of owners from a company I use for that info this week and start mailing them.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    Geez, I feel lazy... closed on my 2nd rental, a quadplex on January 4th.

    In February I hope to refinance both the quadplex and the duplex I bought in November and close on the home I should be going under contract for this weekend, a triplex. Also finish liquidating an old 401k I have for more cash assets to shop for a 4th rental.

    Beyond that, continuing to collect rent checks will be nice :) Will need to update my business plan with new cash on cash projections and the 3rd property once the dust settles. Then it's time to start browsing for #4... why walk into this when you can sprint :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2011 · 422 posts · 149 votes
    14y

    Finished up a rehab & got it rented on Jan. First.

    Working on paying down my debt.

    Had a Vacancy as of Jan 31st. I was busy so I had someone else post it to Craigslist for me. Received 0 interest. Decided to drop the price, upon re-posting I realized that They had checked the box that doesn't allow replies. Re-posted correctly & working on getting it rented.
    In the mean time I'm cleaning & getting it rent ready.

    Worked on building a real business & developing local RE relationships

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 242 posts · 61 votes
    14y

    Purchased a 6plex which is now in escrow and will close early this month.

  • Real Estate Investor · StL, MO · Member since 2008 · 294 posts · 152 votes
    14y

    January was a very symbolic month for me-with the rent check I received from my first rental I purchased in Dec 2008, I have now received more in rent than I purchased the property for. That includes 5 months of vacancies during that time period.

    Received the funds from my last rehab partnership that closed the end of Dec.

    Received the deposit check for renters moving in Feb for the house purchased in Dec.

    Had a $2500 water line installed instead of $300 repair to stolen water pipes in the house I purchased in Dec.

    Started applying and somewhere near the end (?) of obtaining a LOC from a local bank

    Looked at over 40 properties for possible rehab or rental.

    Spent 3 weeks going round and round with HSBC on a duplex only to end up where we were 2 weeks go with negotiations-even after they called "highest and best".

    For thinking it wasn't that eventful for me as I read this post, I guess it was a pretty exciting month after all.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 191 posts · 47 votes
    14y

    I'm impressed with how much everyone has done. I've been happy with 2012 so far.

    Closed on a SFR on January 6th, have nearly completed the rehab and just listed it for rent.

    Helped a client come up with an investment game plan and make 6 offers on houses this month. The goal is to buy 10 by the end of the year.

    Landed my first "sweat equity" LLC deal. We plan to buy 6 this year.

    Set up a marketing partnership.

    Did 7 chin ups and 2 pull ups. My goal is to not have to touch the ground in between reps. I couldn't do one as of last summer.

    Reorganized my wish board.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    January was not an excellent month if it is only looked at from an income situation. I do receive sufficient passive income from the rentals that I own and maintained in an occupancy level of 96% on a couple hundred rentals. I did have one home that I sold in San Antonio and another home that I refinanced.

    I completed construction of two homes here in Utah and have been negotiating on several offers on the one home. The other home is actually scheduled to be in the parade of homes from February 17 through February 26. I expect February to be a very good month. I also purchased two more residential lots and have began working on floor plans for one of the two.

    I always do an inventory at the first of the year with regards to current status of commodities and assets and increase or decrease accordingly. That has been finished and gives me a stronger sense of security than I had previously. Rich

  • Clemson, SC · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    1. Setup new advertising company
    2. Hired real writer to help deliver better quality content to my readers and to feed the beast that is Google.
    3. Established social media channels everywhere that made sense.
    4. Committed to doing a better job of being part of the conversation online in various domains.
    5. Helped several in the real estate biz with my knowledge in all things tech.

    Traffic is starting to pick up so far so good.

  • Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2009 · 163 posts · 20 votes
    14y

    Great posts from everyone!

    I forgot to add I refinanced my condo in Hawaii. I also had the water heater replaced with pipes that were about to crack and it was caught just in time. Currently looking for a new renter to occupy the place with a $100 increase from last year's rent. Looking forward to more cashflow from this property.

  • Real Estate Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2008 · 80 posts · 4 votes
    14y

    Hey BP,
    Great topic... I have seriously dedicated myself to wholesaling in 2012 starting from the ground up.

    Since Jan 16. to Jan 31st

    1.Develop a website 75% complete

    2. Order 100 bandit signs

    3.Mailed out yellow letters

    4.Linked twitter to my site

    5. Developed Facebook Page

    6.Set up google voice

    I am really trying to stick with the written plan.
    I log my activity at the end of the day.
    This help me see if I am really TAKING ACTION!!

  • Jesse PollPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · St George, UT · Member since 2012 · 78 posts · 8 votes
    14y

    Around January 15th is when I started deciding to start learning about and planning how I can become a successful REI. Since that time I have
    1. Read, well listened to at least 7 books
    2. Been on BP learning everyday
    3. Talked to a Mortgage Broker about options
    4. Had an old tax lien removed from credit report. Waiting for the last agency to finalize. I found it amazing that they would remove it before the 10 years were up but they did. As soon as this is complete I will refinance my personal residence to lower my payments and give me some cash.
    5. Talked to a Realtor about buying a 4-5 plex rental property.
    6. Sold my truck to free up cash( this one was hard for me and the dogs).
    6. Go so sidetracked with BP that now I have to catch up in my college classes. lol.

    I am so excited about starting this business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.