Cash-out Refinance a wise decision?

Cash-out Refinance a wise decision?

Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Looking for some wisdom from my fellow BPers!

I am considering doing a cash out refi for a rental property purchased in July 2017 with a 30 yr. 4.375% fixed, for the purpose of acquiring acquisition capital. 

With the general chorus seemingly trying to promote more leverage, BRRR, and HELOCS or cash outs for further acquisitions, I was wondering whether there was a general consensus on when it is NOT considered a wise decision to cash out refi for the purpose of acquiring more properties, especially in this rising interest environment & near correction speculation. 

Loan balance: 77k
Current market value: 140k 
75% LTV: 105k
Closing costs: 7-8k
New interest rate: 5 - 5.5%
Cash-out: 20k (assuming above conditions)

I understand that the final cash out, assuming all the conditions stand, will only net about 20k. However, with my current accumulated savings and the cash-out net, I would then be able to acquire another property. I have reserves set aside for all of my current rentals. 

A refinance will result in higher monthly payments which would reduce the overall cash flow; however, I'm more interested in acquiring more properties quickly so that I may achieve adequate passive income to replace my full-time work income. 

I have tried to look into a HELOC; however, the great state of TX apparently has regulation preventing HELOCS on investment properties.

With that being said, is it logical to cash out refi, resulting in a higher interest rate, higher leverage, and subjected closing costs, all for the sake to acquire an additional 20k in capital for the next acquisition, OR will it be wiser to remain patient and either save for the next property or find a different source of capital other than the equity in the home. I'm asking in light of the current environment of rising interest rates and potential near-correction. 

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Yuta Tamura:

Looking for some wisdom from my fellow BPers!

I am considering doing a cash out refi for a rental property purchased in July 2017 with a 30 yr. 4.375% fixed, for the purpose of acquiring acquisition capital. 

With the general chorus seemingly trying to promote more leverage, BRRR, and HELOCS or cash outs for further acquisitions, I was wondering whether there was a general consensus on when it is NOT considered a wise decision to cash out refi for the purpose of acquiring more properties, especially in this rising interest environment & near correction speculation. 

Loan balance: 77k
Current market value: 140k 
75% LTV: 105k
Closing costs: 7-8k
New interest rate: 5 - 5.5%
Cash-out: 20k (assuming above conditions)

I understand that the final cash out, assuming all the conditions stand, will only net about 20k. However, with my current accumulated savings and the cash-out net, I would then be able to acquire another property. I have reserves set aside for all of my current rentals. 

A refinance will result in higher monthly payments which would reduce the overall cash flow; however, I'm more interested in acquiring more properties quickly so that I may achieve adequate passive income to replace my full-time work income. 

I have tried to look into a HELOC; however, the great state of TX apparently has regulation preventing HELOCS on investment properties.

With that being said, is it logical to cash out refi, resulting in a higher interest rate, higher leverage, and subjected closing costs, all for the sake to acquire an additional 20k in capital for the next acquisition, OR will it be wiser to remain patient and either save for the next property or find a different source of capital other than the equity in the home. I'm asking in light of the current environment of rising interest rates and potential near-correction. 

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated!

 Not worth the closing costs for $20k in my opinion. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Yuta Tamura:

    Looking for some wisdom from my fellow BPers!

    I am considering doing a cash out refi for a rental property purchased in July 2017 with a 30 yr. 4.375% fixed, for the purpose of acquiring acquisition capital. 

    With the general chorus seemingly trying to promote more leverage, BRRR, and HELOCS or cash outs for further acquisitions, I was wondering whether there was a general consensus on when it is NOT considered a wise decision to cash out refi for the purpose of acquiring more properties, especially in this rising interest environment & near correction speculation. 

    Loan balance: 77k
    Current market value: 140k 
    75% LTV: 105k
    Closing costs: 7-8k
    New interest rate: 5 - 5.5%
    Cash-out: 20k (assuming above conditions)

    I understand that the final cash out, assuming all the conditions stand, will only net about 20k. However, with my current accumulated savings and the cash-out net, I would then be able to acquire another property. I have reserves set aside for all of my current rentals. 

    A refinance will result in higher monthly payments which would reduce the overall cash flow; however, I'm more interested in acquiring more properties quickly so that I may achieve adequate passive income to replace my full-time work income. 

    I have tried to look into a HELOC; however, the great state of TX apparently has regulation preventing HELOCS on investment properties.

    With that being said, is it logical to cash out refi, resulting in a higher interest rate, higher leverage, and subjected closing costs, all for the sake to acquire an additional 20k in capital for the next acquisition, OR will it be wiser to remain patient and either save for the next property or find a different source of capital other than the equity in the home. I'm asking in light of the current environment of rising interest rates and potential near-correction. 

    Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated!

     Not worth the closing costs for $20k in my opinion. 

  • Investor · Pearland, TX · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Yuta Tamura, I think this is going to really be a personal call if you 'need' / how much you can really do with the 20K. It seems you must have bought at a good price and/or did some significant renovations to force that much appreciation in only 18 months?

    If owned by an entity, in the State of Texas, you should be able to open a secured, commerical LoC against the property - this may be another option for you to consider.

    All the best!

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y

    You've given a lot of numbers/info here...except you left out the most important...what's the net cash flow before and after you do the refi?

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Yuta Tamura

    I will not do it, 7-8k cost, is high. 

    Your existing rate is super, did you get it as primary? I will keep existing mortgage. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.