Good or Bad Areas of Lansing Michigan?

Good or Bad Areas of Lansing Michigan?

Real Estate Investor · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 4 votes
Hey all, It looks like I may be moving out to Lansing and if so, I'll probably be looking for an owner occupied multi to get myself started in RE out there. I just wanted to know if there are good or bad parts of that city to look towards or watch out for? Or is it all just kind of okay all around? This will possibly be my home for a while so it's a slightly different search than just standard investor stuff. I have only been there twice and so obviously don't have a great grasp on the street-to-street breakdown. Any help would be appreciated thank you!
0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Okemos, MI · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 10 votes
9y

Lansing doesn't have your standard "good and bad side of the railroad tracks" layout.  Neighborhoods change from block to block sometimes.  In Lansing, it is important to get your feet on the ground.  Further, a neighborhood may seem good at 11:00 A.M. but it's scary at 11:00 P.M.

My top to bottom school list is as follows:  Okemos, Haslett, East Lansing, Williamston, Dewitt, Holt, Grand Ledge, Waverly, Lansing.  There's almost no multi opportunity in Okemos.  Haslett has some blue collar areas with some nice multis.  East Lansing is expensive because of student demand and licensing is a nightmare.  I invest in Lansing and live in Okemos.  Putting the two together is really difficult with a family.  Feel free to PM me with specific addresses and I'll be happy to give my opinion on the neighborhood.   

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Garden City, MI · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi @Lou Ruggieri,

    I am also possibly moving to Lansing, so I have done a few searches. For me, the biggest concern is school districts. Lansing schools do not look good at all. There are good schools near by in areas like Okemos, which is just east of Lansing. I used Zillow's school rating search tool (if it is a concern for you). Hopefully you get additional input from locals, best of luck!

  • Investor · Charlotte, MI · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    I live in the area. If you are willing to be outide city limits, then I would recommend Holt for multis. Excellent schools, very walkable, and good supply. Lansing and east lansing are more tenant oriented I their regs.  Other good towns are Haslett, DeWitt, and Grand Ledge, but not as much multi stock. OKenosha is a great town, but more pricey. About 15 minutes outside lansing are Williamston and Mason, which are both good, and then Spunky old Charlotte, which is in revival mode, attracting new businesses, has excellent schools, but is very affordable at the moment. Look me up when you all arrive.

  • Investor · Okemos, MI · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Lansing doesn't have your standard "good and bad side of the railroad tracks" layout.  Neighborhoods change from block to block sometimes.  In Lansing, it is important to get your feet on the ground.  Further, a neighborhood may seem good at 11:00 A.M. but it's scary at 11:00 P.M.

    My top to bottom school list is as follows:  Okemos, Haslett, East Lansing, Williamston, Dewitt, Holt, Grand Ledge, Waverly, Lansing.  There's almost no multi opportunity in Okemos.  Haslett has some blue collar areas with some nice multis.  East Lansing is expensive because of student demand and licensing is a nightmare.  I invest in Lansing and live in Okemos.  Putting the two together is really difficult with a family.  Feel free to PM me with specific addresses and I'll be happy to give my opinion on the neighborhood.   

  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 149 votes
    9y

    @Lou Ruggieri - Holt has tons of duplexes. Most of them are smaller 2/1 though. I have a house hack duplex in Lansing right on the Lansing/East Lansing border in the Forest View neighborhood. There are a few duplexes currently listed here. 

    Happy to help if you need anything!

  • Rental Property Investor · Greater Lansing Area, MI · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    Agree with nearly everything said here. If schools matter to you, then Lansing schools are not the place to be. And yes, it is very much a block-by-block situation in the city. I'd be happy to give an opinion of location if you have specific areas you're considering, so feel free to message me. It all comes down to what suits you and what you're looking for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.