Appreciation in SFHs in Rural America (Appalachia OH/KY)

Appreciation in SFHs in Rural America (Appalachia OH/KY)

Blacklick, OH · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

So, I understand that you shouldn't count on appreciation when valuing a property for investment purposes, but I'm wondering if anyone has done extensive research and attempted to project the value of SFHs in rural areas, but especially Appalachia?


Basically, I'm wanting to feel out the opinions of anyone who lives in, invests in, or has given these markets any thought on the topic of REI.

Here's some initial thoughts to get the discussion going:

Clearly, these places have fewer major employers... on the other hand, many of these places are greyer than ever--which can be interpreted as having a sizeable proportion of the population with a guaranteed income (i.e., SSI/SSDI/pensions, etc.) and low incentive to leave for more urban markets.

On the other hand, as agriculture and energy jobs--the main reason for moving to these regions, for many--become totally obsolete or redundant... and as the major urban markets offer more attractions than ever... I wonder if it won't get to the point where there is a second major rural flight, with many places left as actual ghost towns.

As for myself, I happen to live in one of these areas, and would love to dive into REI--while the local listings are certainly more affordable, thoughts like those mentioned above cause me to question whether I shouldn't confine my investing to the nearest metropolitan area and its immediate suburbs.

0Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
    9y

    @Joe Tanner This is a good question and interested to hear from other investors!

    I have analyzed a few "rural" markets (semi-rural with a very small downtown). Price points are great and on a city investor's budget, can purchase 1-3 properties more or 5 units more. Cash flow looks great. 

    My biggest concern of course is vacancies and turnover. As a city investor, I have no idea how to attract tenants in these areas and not many companies specialize in rural tenant housing placement. You have an advantage if you live in a rural area and can network with prospective tenants.

    Cost and repairs are the same pretty much everywhere, so having a solid tenant pool is key (of course). Also, contractors and skilled labor is harder to come by, so unless you have some handy man skills, forces you to look outside. All advantages if you live local! Good Luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.