Help! Not sure whether to buy in Dana Point or San Jose!

Help! Not sure whether to buy in Dana Point or San Jose!

San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 1 vote

Hi!

Thanks for taking a moment to help me sort this out. My husband and I just moved to San Jose about 6 months ago for his job. The area is nice but very expensive and our goal is to return to Dana Point, Ca in the next year or two. His prior work has been as a contractor so we have needed 3 years of income to qualify for a home loan (and one bad years tax return has had us stuck in limbo.) Now that he is a W2 we have had no trouble getting financing and we want to make a move on purchasing our first home... the thing is we plan on heading back to Dana Point in the next year or two (where he will return to contracting) and so we want to secure our housing now before we get stuck with the 3 years of income proof again. The dilemma is do we buy in San Jose or Dana Point? My thoughts on San Jose is we can probably get a fixer upper in the 700k range and hopefully sell for a profit between the remodeling & the market hopefully continuing to go up... but would our profits be enough to justify it after paying for our realtor, etc. to make it worth it in just 2 years? If so, I am hoping that we would be able to take the money from selling and put it down on a home in Dana Point... but that could lead us into the 3 years income proof issue.... but maybe with a nice down deposit it wouldn't be as big of an issue? (We are using VA Loan). OR do we stretch our necks out and buy something in Dana Point with the hopes of renting it while we live up here? There is a little bit of risk to this because 1) we aren't supposed to rent our a VA loan house (but I think we can get away with it temporarily since we do plan on using it as a primary residence) 2) We aren't putting much down so our monthly mortgage will be high ($3,300/mo (P&I, Taxes, etc included) on $500k or $4,461/mo on $789k to give you an idea) which means we might not be able to cover the whole mortgage with a renter so we would have some cost out of pocket. Not the end of the world but not ideal since we are already paying $3k/mo rent in the bay.... I am very excited to get a move on buying but I am loosing my mind trying to figure out where.... San Jose is more expensive but with a possible greater return... and Dana Point is where we want to end up but is it risking too much too soon? Any thoughts or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Encino, CA · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 12 votes
10y

You might be overthinking this one. If it was me (been there, done that) I would jump on the opportunity to buy where you are now.  Don't think about 2 or 3 years from now. If you can buy something now and turn around and sell it and make profit NOW (no brainer).  If the profit is large enough, you might not need to worry about future financing.  There are products out there where you can put 30% or 35% down with stated income (no verification).

We must of moved over 10 times in the last 8 years.  Our movers know us personally by know (no joke) and my wife gave up unpacking the boxes, knowing that I am always looking for the next flip.  

Don't run away from your situation of over think it, embrace it.    

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    All I'm going to say is I am in the same dilemma and it is a big one! I've grown up in San Jose and my wife and I are now considering Morgan Hill and Livermore. Quieter more scenic areas with less crime. I can't justify the prices at Retail on even fixer uppers in San Jose. The areas I would be ok raising a family in in San Jose are easily over 1 million. (Cambrian, Almaden, Willow Glen, Evergreen). I just put in an offer for an investor partner on an Oakland property listed at 400k that needed 150-200k in renovations with comps in the 650-700 range. Our offer was $50k over asking price and the agent informed us we weren't even in the running. WIll probably sell 100-150k over asking. A lot of similar activity in San Jose and the rest of Bay Area as well.

    Don't know much about Dana Point so can't give you any recommendations there! Sorry!

    Best of Luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance as I have access to the MLS (I'm a licensed Realtor)

    XW

  • Encino, CA · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    You might be overthinking this one. If it was me (been there, done that) I would jump on the opportunity to buy where you are now.  Don't think about 2 or 3 years from now. If you can buy something now and turn around and sell it and make profit NOW (no brainer).  If the profit is large enough, you might not need to worry about future financing.  There are products out there where you can put 30% or 35% down with stated income (no verification).

    We must of moved over 10 times in the last 8 years.  Our movers know us personally by know (no joke) and my wife gave up unpacking the boxes, knowing that I am always looking for the next flip.  

    Don't run away from your situation of over think it, embrace it.    

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Richard Ayvazyan thanks for your thoughts.  This is our first time buying so everything is still a bit shrouded in mystery for me.  I guess my main concern is that the markets drop in 2 years (when we are trying to get out of here) and we get stuck :/  I've heard a consensus that there will be another bubble soon but I am not sure how much of an affect that will have on the bay... I want to avoid making any emotional decisions but I also want to avoid getting stuck with an old junker here by all costs... Are you familiar with the bay area market? Do you think its worth the gamble?

    @Xavier Williams thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this!  Thats so frustrating to hear about your offer on the Oakland property.  Its so hard to compete against such aggressive offers everywhere! It will be interesting to see what this area looks like in 10-15 years.

  • Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Richard Ayvazyan

    Sounds like I need you to talk to my wife Lol

    @Emily Shirk I wonder the same! Best Of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.