The Importance of a Repair Reserve

The Importance of a Repair Reserve

Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes

Just in the last month, I've had:

  • A slab leak at one property.
  • A rat chew through a PEX line at another property, flooding the house.
  • A crumbled pipe shutting down drainage at another property, requiring a partial repipe.
  • A bad foundation shift at another property that's going to require shoring up.
  • And finally, my tenant at my only out of town rental called to let me know her neighbors were shooting off guns for New Year's, and she has bullet holes in her wall and roof. (And this is in a decent neighborhood!)

The month from hell, right? Well, sorta. I am kinda twitching a little bit whenever the phone rings, wondering what's next. ;) But I think about how much worse this would be if I wasn't setting aside a reasonably repair reserve every month.

I generally keep about 15 rentals. I buy them in bad shape and renovate them to pretty good standards, but a lot of them are older, and we know that problems will eventually show up with infrastructure. It's crazy to have five houses calling with problems all in the month, but that's kinda the way life works, isn't it? Things run along smoothly for awhile, then suddenly, everything can go to s***.

We put aside 6% of rent every month, religiously, into a repair reserve account. So when all this stuff hit all at once, and it's going to be somewhere in the $18K neighborhood, we had almost enough in there to cover all of it. Very little out of pocket money to spend. (Now we just hope we get time to rebuild those funds before the next thing crashes!)

If you're a newer investor, please don't neglect your repair reserve and your property tax reserve. Make sure that money is being set aside for when you need it. Because you're going to someday.

    6Reply
    32 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Investor · Sachse, TX · Member since 2015 · 223 posts · 66 votes
    10y

    @Glenn Mayo You are still on the hook in a LO. I would be careful doing LO in Texas longer then 180 days.

    @Michael Hayworth It must have been in the air in DFW. I had a roof leak and hot water go out in the same week on the same house. Hopefully not a sign for the new year. 

    See this reply in the discussion

    11 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10y

      Well said!  In October I had over $4,000 of repairs in 3 houses in 24 hours. It was a doozy! I cannot agree more about the importance of a good reserve fund.

    • Owen DashnerPro Member
      Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10y

      Word.  Just had a $2100 furnace replacement yesterday, and a $1,400 plumbing bill for replacing old galvanized junk last week.  Whenever I go couple of months or more with no repairs, I start getting antsy because I know the law of averages will catch up with me soon!

    • Joe SplitrockPro Member
      Moderator
      Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
      10y

      @Michael Hayworth it is great you posted this as a warning for newbies and reminder for others that having cash reserves are important. I am curious how you handled your bullet hole situation? Have you contacted the police? Is your tenant staying? Are you going after the neighbors for damages?

      I like to be prepared for anything, so I guess having a contingency plan for bullet holes isn't a bad thing to add to my play book.

    • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

      @Michael Hayworth it is great you posted this as a warning for newbies and reminder for others that having cash reserves are important. I am curious how you handled your bullet hole situation? Have you contacted the police? Is your tenant staying? Are you going after the neighbors for damages?

      I like to be prepared for anything, so I guess having a contingency plan for bullet holes isn't a bad thing to add to my play book.

       Apparently, this is a traditional Mexican celebration of the New Year or some such. Probably were multiple people firing guns into the air. I'm pretty sure if I called the Muncie, IN, police from Fort Worth, TX, it wouldn't be at the top of their priority list. And if they went out, it would be a whole lot of "No habla" and "didn't see nuttin'".

      Nobody was hurt except the house. I'll have my local handyman take care of it. Not even filing it on my insurance.

    • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 16 votes
      10y

      When lease-optioning to a tenant/buyer, do you pass repairs on to them, or do you take care of them yourself?

    • Investor · Sachse, TX · Member since 2015 · 223 posts · 66 votes
      10y

      @Glenn Mayo You are still on the hook in a LO. I would be careful doing LO in Texas longer then 180 days.

      @Michael Hayworth It must have been in the air in DFW. I had a roof leak and hot water go out in the same week on the same house. Hopefully not a sign for the new year. 

    • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Glenn Mayo:

      When lease-optioning to a tenant/buyer, do you pass repairs on to them, or do you take care of them yourself?

       I don't do lease options.

    • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Chance Housos:

      @Glenn Mayo You are still on the hook in a LO. I would be careful doing LO in Texas longer then 180 days.

      @Michael Hayworth It must have been in the air in DFW. I had a roof leak and hot water go out in the same week on the same house. Hopefully not a sign for the new year. 

       Chance, yeah, when it rains, it pours.When everything runs too smoothly for too long....start to get nervous! :)

    • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 16 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Chance Housos:

      @Glenn Mayo You are still on the hook in a LO. I would be careful doing LO in Texas longer then 180 days.

      @Michael Hayworth It must have been in the air in DFW. I had a roof leak and hot water go out in the same week on the same house. Hopefully not a sign for the new year. 

       Why the concern about a LO longer than 180 days? I've never heard that before.

    • Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Glenn Mayo:
      Originally posted by @Chance Housos:

      @Glenn Mayo You are still on the hook in a LO. I would be careful doing LO in Texas longer then 180 days.

      @Michael Hayworth It must have been in the air in DFW. I had a roof leak and hot water go out in the same week on the same house. Hopefully not a sign for the new year. 

       Why the concern about a LO longer than 180 days? I've never heard that before.

      Because LO's in Texas are complicated, lot's of hoops to jump through.  Take a look at this:

      http://www.lonestarlandlaw.com/Lease_pur.html

    • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 80 posts · 16 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Todd Plambeck:
      Originally posted by @Glenn Mayo:
      Originally posted by @Chance Housos:

      @Glenn Mayo You are still on the hook in a LO. I would be careful doing LO in Texas longer then 180 days.

      @Michael Hayworth It must have been in the air in DFW. I had a roof leak and hot water go out in the same week on the same house. Hopefully not a sign for the new year. 

       Why the concern about a LO longer than 180 days? I've never heard that before.

      Because LO's in Texas are complicated, lot's of hoops to jump through.  Take a look at this:

      http://www.lonestarlandlaw.com/Lease_pur.html

       That is....EXTREMELY unfortunate. As a new investor just getting started with little cash, that basically obliterates one of my main strategies. Now I understand why some agents won't even touch them. *sigh*

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.