Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Victor Latimer
Votes |
300k to build 1100 SF 3/2 ADU or invest in stock market

Victor Latimer
Posted

Hello all. So I live in the south bay of Los Angeles (Torrance/Harbor Gateway). My primary property is a 3/2 1266 SF home on a 7500 lot. We have in a hand the permit to build a 3/2 1100 SF home in backyard. I I can get the build done for 275k. This is a very reasonable price. And yes it's legit. The upside would be passive income in the range of $3500mo. Not sure about the added value to overall property since this is relatively new. Of course the new bill allowing us to possibly sell off either property is enticing but not sure how to value that either. The down side would be having tenants in our backyard along with all of the other potential landlord headaches. We have a duplex and a lake townhouse that we rent long and short-term out of state so we have some experience as landlords. Now I just want to ask any of you out there would you build in my position or invest that same amount of money? They both have have uncertainties. I'm enticed by stock market as I believe AI will likely make for greater returns in future due to companies running more efficiently. Assuming I could get ROI of 10% over 20 years investing in the market, what would you do?

Loading replies...