Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Wood
Pro Member
Votes |
2 Part Question

Jennifer Wood
Pro Member
Posted Jul 5 2024, 07:05

My husband and I have an opportunity to purchase a single-family rental portfolio in our out-of-state investing market that is owner-financed. While the units look to cash flow, for the next 5 years we plan on using that cash flow for any extra expenses over and above what we would forecast for the maintenance, repairs, and capex items for the properties since we already have W2 jobs we plan on keeping for at least the next 5 years. This is in the early stages so I don't have a lot of info to go on right now.  We have a solid team that can support us in this endeavor but I would welcome any guidance those of you who have done this may have:

1 - What are the major pitfalls that we need to be aware of with doing something like this? We plan on having an attorney look everything over, doing this under our LLC, etc. What are the major and minor things those of you who have done this either looked for, or wish you looked for?

2 - Would you recommend purchasing a home warranty package (like American Home Shield) for something like this?  Is this even possible?  We are talking 15+ properties.  The only experience I have with home warranty packages is using AHS for my primary residence and it has been worth it for us.

Thanks for your time!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Jul 5 2024, 13:36

I would say #1 and #2 are not your first and second priorities.

The first priority must be answering "Is this a good deal?".  The fact that this is owner financed might be a good thing but sends up a lot of warning flags. 

I sometimes see properties being owner financed because a bank won't finance them.  If you get a mortgage, the lender will want to check surveys, appraisals, and title issues, things that don't always happen when buying owner financed.  Most experienced investors aren't looking to the protection of a home warranty, which gives me another level of caution.  With that in mind, here would be my priority order based on what you have written:

1) Have all the houses inspected so you know about major deferred maintenance. 

2) Pay for an appraisal on all homes so you know if you are getting a good deal.  (Note:  You are under no obligation to share your appraisal with the seller.)

3) Get the seller to provide surveys of all properties and have an experienced attorney look them over.  If they are older, it is probably worth paying for an updated survey.

4) Ensure the closing is done through a title company and insist on title insurance.  Sometimes properties with clouded title are sold using owner finance.

5) Talk to a property manager to ensure these are good rental areas and
the rental income is not artificially inflated by an unethical seller.

6) Do the math on the repairs, monthly income, monthly expenses all make sense. If they don't, do not close.

7) Have a lawyer look over all closing documents. If it is seller financed, you have no real estate agent fiduciary protection, so it is up to you to protect yourself.

After all that, then, yes, work with an attorney on how you hope to close, LLC, trust, or in your name. If I have all of the above, I'd skip the warranty.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Wood
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 5 2024, 13:54

Thank you so much!  These were not our top 2 priorities but we're in the process of doing our due diligence and knowing all of the major and minor things people think we should look at will help us make sure we don't miss anything.  Most of what's on your list is on ours.  

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jul 8 2024, 05:53

We don't recommend home warranty on rentals. 

Companies delay repairs, frustrating tenants.

Tenants do not make themselves available for warranty techs, delaying repairs, creating a negative feedback loop:(

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Wood
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 9 2024, 09:10

That makes sense Michael - thank you