Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Wood
Pro Member
Votes |
2 Part Question

Jennifer Wood
Pro Member
Posted Jul 5 2024, 07:05

My husband and I have an opportunity to purchase a single-family rental portfolio in our out-of-state investing market that is owner-financed. While the units look to cash flow, for the next 5 years we plan on using that cash flow for any extra expenses over and above what we would forecast for the maintenance, repairs, and capex items for the properties since we already have W2 jobs we plan on keeping for at least the next 5 years. This is in the early stages so I don't have a lot of info to go on right now.  We have a solid team that can support us in this endeavor but I would welcome any guidance those of you who have done this may have:

1 - What are the major pitfalls that we need to be aware of with doing something like this? We plan on having an attorney look everything over, doing this under our LLC, etc. What are the major and minor things those of you who have done this either looked for, or wish you looked for?

2 - Would you recommend purchasing a home warranty package (like American Home Shield) for something like this?  Is this even possible?  We are talking 15+ properties.  The only experience I have with home warranty packages is using AHS for my primary residence and it has been worth it for us.

Thanks for your time!

Loading replies...