Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Meri Hamada
Votes |
Is it bad idea to invest in the property in area Crime rate D(-), North Las Vegas?

Meri Hamada
Posted Jun 25 2024, 19:36

Hello ! This is my first post in Bigger pockets. My husband and I decided to invest in real estate together and are very excited for our journey. I have one property as long term rental and my husband has one long term rental and 1 STR. After we met, we purchased our primary residence together in 2022.

My husband and I are in escrow for a property in bad neighborhood in North Las Vegas. This is our first investment property and we are going to do STR. Crime rate is D (-) so it's not ideal area. We are going to have a property manager and projected cash flow is good. My husband and I have lived in a bad neighborhood in South Los Angeles (crime rate D) and we think that this north las vegas area is similar to where we lived in LA. We are going to check out the area in person this week.

We are thinking if number works out it will be still good investment.  What are your thoughts on this? If you have invested in high crime rate area, please share your experience. Any feedback is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Jun 25 2024, 20:38
Quote from @Meri Hamada:

Hello ! This is my first post in Bigger pockets. My husband and I decided to invest in real estate together and are very excited for our journey. I have one property as long term rental and my husband has one long term rental and 1 STR. After we met, we purchased our primary residence together in 2022.

My husband and I are in escrow for a property in bad neighborhood in North Las Vegas. This is our first investment property and we are going to do STR. Crime rate is D (-) so it's not ideal area. We are going to have a property manager and projected cash flow is good. My husband and I have lived in a bad neighborhood in South Los Angeles (crime rate D) and we think that this north las vegas area is similar to where we lived in LA. We are going to check out the area in person this week.

We are thinking if number works out it will be still good investment.  What are your thoughts on this? If you have invested in high crime rate area, please share your experience. Any feedback is appreciated.

A short term rental in a high crime area? I'm not 100% but I don't remember "High Crime" being one of the preferred search terms on either AirBnb or VRBO. Who would want to rent a STR in a high crime area other than someone committing crimes?

Owning C class or below property is a whole lot of work and risk. That's why it has the potential to have better returns - like all investments, higher risk usually means higher returns. You're going to work for this money, you can be sure of that. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jun 26 2024, 05:56

@Meri Hamada what work have you done to identify your potential STR guest pool?

Hopefully, you can find data to show it won't all be drug users, crazy parties and sex workers.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Janice R.
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 26 2024, 10:19

You may want to check the laws on STRs in North Las Vegas:  https://www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com/business/short-term-rent...

Where are you getting the "numbers" that show it's a good investment? I live in Las Vegas, own profitable LTRs in good neighborhoods. I can't imagine that investing a high crime area as a legal STR, could be profitable in LV.

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jun 26 2024, 11:47

@Meri Hamada

STRs are all about experience. If guests have a bad experience then you will no longer get guests.   Why buy in such a high crime area?  Are there no other places to invest? 

Check out https://fernwood.team/ 

They are very experienced in the LV market. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2024, 07:03

Why bother--just say NO!

Las Vegas is on the verge of a market over-supply of housing, and that will produce a large price drop.  That's in better areas--not the pit-of-hell area you are describing.

I wouldn't ever invest in a high crime area UNLESS you raze the property and hold the land long-term, hoping for a turnaround.  

I'd keep looking. Next!

Why bother? Just say no!!!

User Stats

Votes
Will Costello
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 27 2024, 14:59
Quote from @Marc Winter:

Why bother--just say NO!

Las Vegas is on the verge of a market over-supply of housing, and that will produce a large price drop.  That's in better areas--not the pit-of-hell area you are describing.

I wouldn't ever invest in a high crime area UNLESS you raze the property and hold the land long-term, hoping for a turnaround.  

I'd keep looking. Next!

I believe the market is at about 6 weeks of inventory, which is pretty low. Not a glut of homes for sale. Rental market is even more tight. 

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Jun 28 2024, 13:17

@Will Costello,

Hi Will,

The stats I've seen are showing about 50% of existing listings of homes for sale have price reductions.  

While inventory is tight now, there will be a tsunami of houses and apartments set to hit the market in the next 6--12 months.  

I'd hate to see a new investor walk into that without knowing what's going to hit the fan.

I guess time will tell the measure of the tape.  We'll just keep moving forward as best we can.  

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Jun 28 2024, 14:54

STR.... high crime area... NO BUENO.

At best you can make a LTR work in a higher crime area if you are good at managing C/D class units.... but most first timers are NOT going to succeed in D class areas.

Living in a bad area is NOT the same same as managing someone else living in a bad area