Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Cheng
  • Homeowner
Votes |
4 Townhouses, optimal exit vs long term hold strategy?

David Cheng
  • Homeowner
Posted

We have 4 townhouses east of 75 & Haskell (West of Ross), Built ~ 2007. Good condition, 100% occupied. Monthly rent in the ~$1.5/sqft range. I'm currently also the property manager. I'm a professional in another unrelated field and the time I spend to manage the rental properties are not worth my hourly. Also, our portfolio is very heavily concentrated in RE, diversification is seen as a positive at this point. 

I'm exploring several long term strategies:

-Exit:

The townhouses share common walls in the middle. The legal description of the lot states these 4 townhouses are 1 legal property (they are NOT platted as 4 separated properties).

The realtor I use to appraise the property claim that I would maximize the sales price if I had the re-platted as 4 different legal properties. However, he offered no assistance on the re-platting process. 

I spoke to my RE Lawyer, who claimed that re-platting would take much longer than just forming a condo association and selling each individual townhouse as a condo. 

-Long term hold

My rolodex isn't that great for trades (Plumber, Electrician, Roofer, Landscape, or Property Manager). I may have 2 or 3 on that list (no property manager that I trust) of trades that I would trust and keep long term to work on my other properties. This results in me often driving to the property to assess the problem myself and paying a premium to get the work done right. 

I could just get better at establishing relationships with the trades and hope that my cost to manage will go down in the future. Or I may get a trust worthy property manager, but that cost almost would lower the long term returns to below the S&P 500 indexes. 

My questions to the hivemind:

- Have you ever had to re-plat 1 property with 1 legal description into 4 different properties? Any insight on this process or forming condo association would be helpful.
- What would you do if you were in my situation? I feel like this is a good time in the market cycle to exit and diversify? But I may not be as in tune with the market trends as the rest of the professionals. 

Loading replies...