Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Gammons
Pro Member
Votes |
Wichita Kansas Market hard to find a deal

Sean Gammons
Pro Member
Posted Jun 1 2024, 14:00

I am looking to buy a house hack in Wichita Kansas, but the inventory is so LOW, and nothing seems to make sense. I am looking for a 8-10% return after I move out and rent out both units. This seems impossible to get unless I buy in the Plainview Area, South City and S Broadway St. Which these areas are considered bad.

Anyways what is working for investors here are you having the same trouble? Also, what returns are you shooting for in the city here thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ike Hobbs
  • Investor
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wichita, KS
Replied Jun 6 2024, 16:47

If you're utilizing the house hack and low downpayment, I wouldn't think you'd have any issue hitting that target for a Cash on Cash or IRR. I just got one last month that had been on the market for awhile and after moving out it's around 13% when estimating 10% Vacancy and 10% management fee, both of which I won't be paying on for a bit.

Do you have a good agent? I had one that was really good at looking at on the investment side and would be happy to recommend. Come over to the WAREI group sometime when you can. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Gammons
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 6 2024, 16:56

@Ike Hobbs Wow really? Did you add 10% for property management just in case in the future you don't want to manage it yourself. What side of town did you buy on and how many units was the property you purchased and what was the price? Thanks

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Ike Hobbs
  • Investor
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wichita, KS
Replied Jun 6 2024, 18:37

Yeah I plan on having a property manager in the next 4yrs but for now I can manage most things myself. It was a 2bd 1bth house with detached ADU 1bd/1bth. I posted it on my profile here. Location is on McCormick. Not ideal but it's very close to Newman and Friends. I purchased for 136k and seller paid my closing costs. I did a 7.5% down conventional loan.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 7 2024, 05:05

@Sean Gammons rising property values & mortgage rates have ended the "easy days" where you could buy anything and rent for cashflow.

You're going to have to look harder or go into riskier investments.

Prior to the crash of 2008, seasoned investors would look at 100 properties, bid on 10, to hopefully get one deal accepted that met their ROI and CoC requirements.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jun 7 2024, 05:22
Quote from @Sean Gammons:

I am looking to buy a house hack in Wichita Kansas, but the inventory is so LOW, and nothing seems to make sense. I am looking for a 8-10% return after I move out and rent out both units. This seems impossible to get unless I buy in the Plainview Area, South City and S Broadway St. Which these areas are considered bad.

Anyways what is working for investors here are you having the same trouble? Also, what returns are you shooting for in the city here thanks!

So buy in the C D areas, its all about price , Oh and hire a PM co 

Good luck