Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes

Mapping out a potential unique opportunity - ideas welcome!

Daniel Gugliotti
Posted May 30 2024, 03:19

I have a potentially unique, but low barrier entry opportunity in front of me, but I am struggling to put the pieces together in a way the make sense for all. 

I live in CT and I have relatives who would like to "snow bird" to Florida at some point soon. They have a house with an in-law apartment (essentially a 2-unit MFH) that needs some work. The house also happens to be right next door to a wedding hall. Seems ripe for the picking to BRRR the home. Ideally, I would STR it to either the wedding hall or seasonally, although the purpose of snow-birding is to be in CT in the summers (wedding season) and Florida for the winters. The less risky/more logical avenue seems to be to LTR one unit for more predictable cash flow and STR the other unit to create availability for my relatives when they come to visit. It's worth noting on the STR side, CT is not exactly the AirBnB capital of the world.

But my struggle is finding/pitching the value add to them? They would need cash to buy/rent seasonally in Florida, so is there a scenario where they sell the house to me, obtaining the cash they need to buy in Florida, and then rent one of the units back from me in the summers? Is that taking on too much risk? Will a bank see the same value that I do and be willing l do a DSCR loan based on LTR and STR on the same property?

Any ideas, feedback or suggestions are welcome! Fire away!

Loading replies...