Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Sean Haran
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Inspection report shows significant foundation issues, worth it to look into fixing?

Sean Haran
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted May 22 2024, 12:32

Hello! Had an offer accepted on a house in the Reeb-Hosack area of Columbus OH. Inspection report came back with a few things, but the one that concerns me is foundation problems. There is cracking and quite a bit of of movement/settling/leaning in 2 corners of the foundation. There’s also these weird support beams that I’m assuming the current owner installed. They aren’t secured to a footer, they are just kinda jammed between the basement floor and some of the major beams on the bottom of the house. He also observed some active water penetration into the basement

I am trying to figure out if it’s worth it to look into fixing it and trying to make the deal work, or if I should just keep looking for a different property. I’m a first-time investor and I’m investing out of state… don’t want to get dragged into rebuilding the whole house lol.

These were the actual words from the inspection: “I observed cracks throughout the foundation and leaning/settlement at the east and north structural wall of the house foundation. Major defect.

I am not a structural engineer. I recommend a structural engineer further evaluate and make recommendations related to this observation” 

And regarding this make-shift supports: “

Temporary posts exist in the basement that should be considered for replacement with a permanent support system.

A temporary post is noted as a support to the ground that does not appear to be resting on a footer.

This temporary support post is holding up a metal beam supporting a large portion of the house.

This is a structural concern that should be reviewed by a qualified engineer/contractor”

I will include a couple pics as well 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#4 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied May 22 2024, 13:15

@Sean Haran, it looks like you are in a Cali where housing stock is MUCH newer on average than places in the northeast and rust belt.

A lot of what scares you here is probably not too unusual for an old house. I suspect an experienced local investor would not be scared off by this house because they could physically see and understand how to address the issues in a common sense affordable way. That is MUCH harder to do from a distance and when your personal experience may be with newer homes that don't have issues like this.

So, the deal may be ok, but it might not be ok for you unless you have someone you trust to guide you in that market. The home inspector is just going to tell you what things should be like in a perfect world, its up to you to figure out what that means to you.

Also, did you have a pest inspection done? in the last picture with the white PVC drain lines, the floor joists don't look too great but its always hard to tell in pics but there could be some rot or pest damage there. 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 22 2024, 22:04

@Sean Haran I passed on a 4-unit that had some significant foundational bowing issues like in your pictures. Now 3 years later I work with one of the tenants there and she reports significant 1”-2” cracks have developed in the walls throughout the building.

For your first time hands off deal you might look for something else. There’s always another deal right around the corner.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#1 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 23 2024, 07:59
Quote from @Sean Haran:

Hello! Had an offer accepted on a house in the Reeb-Hosack area of Columbus OH. Inspection report came back with a few things, but the one that concerns me is foundation problems. There is cracking and quite a bit of of movement/settling/leaning in 2 corners of the foundation. There’s also these weird support beams that I’m assuming the current owner installed. They aren’t secured to a footer, they are just kinda jammed between the basement floor and some of the major beams on the bottom of the house. He also observed some active water penetration into the basement

I am trying to figure out if it’s worth it to look into fixing it and trying to make the deal work, or if I should just keep looking for a different property. I’m a first-time investor and I’m investing out of state… don’t want to get dragged into rebuilding the whole house lol.

These were the actual words from the inspection: “I observed cracks throughout the foundation and leaning/settlement at the east and north structural wall of the house foundation. Major defect.

I am not a structural engineer. I recommend a structural engineer further evaluate and make recommendations related to this observation” 

Temporary posts exist in the basement that should be considered for replacement with a permanent support system.

A temporary post is noted as a support to the ground that does not appear to be resting on a footer.

This temporary support post is holding up a metal beam supporting a large portion of the house.

This is a structural concern that should be reviewed by a qualified engineer/contractor”

I would definitely try to get a structural engineer in there. Reeb-Hosack has a lot of basements like that. The bad thing about these issues is they are costly. The good thing about these issues is they are relatively easy to fix. This looks pretty significant. I would get an engineer in there, get a quote on the work, and try to negotiate the seller to pay to get the work done

User Stats

Votes
Zac Mckenzie
  • Contractor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 24 2024, 05:33

Unfortunately this is extremely common, I would not be scared off but I would get a pro in there to evaluate. A qualified GC or Structural Engineer 

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
ModeratorReplied May 24 2024, 07:04

I wouldn't touch this property with someone else's 10 foot pole.

I don't do ANYTHING with foundation work.

There are people who do, and that's awesome for them. I know my limits, and this is outside of them.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 25 2024, 18:26
Quote from @Sean Haran:

pass, go buy land and build in columbus. we build on slabs you won't even have a basement with ugly pics. 

User Stats

Votes
Austin F.
  • Investor
  • Michigan
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Michigan
Replied May 25 2024, 18:41
Looks like its settling where someone hacked in that new sewer line. I wouldn't worry about any of that, but I'd want to see it in person before I committed to that.

Find a good basement guy to go take a look, usually not the guy with a wrapped truck.