Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2024 · 66 posts · 38 votes
I've come across a bit of a conundrum: conflicting information on how to calculate Net Operating Income (NOI).
Every article and book I read has a different take. Some advocate for factoring in debt services, while others argue for excluding them from the calculation. Similarly, there's a divide on whether taxes should be included or not in determining NOI.
This lack of consensus has left me scratching my head. How can I accurately calculate NOI when the experts can't seem to agree on the fundamentals?
I'm reaching out to the Biggerpockets community to get some clarity. What's your take on this? How do you calculate NOI in your real estate investments, and what factors do you include or exclude from the equation?
I'm eager to learn from your experiences and insights. Let's debunk this confusion together!
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y
NOI is a pre-tax calculation, which means all taxes are excluded from the formula. Tax expenses also vary widely by investor, and since NOI is specific to the property, not the person, do not include it.
NOI equals all revenue from the property, minus all reasonably necessary operating expenses. NOI is a before-tax figure, appearing on a property's income and cash flow statement, that excludes principal and interest payments on loans, capital expenditures, depreciation, and amortization.
Maybe just ignore advice from people that don’t have access to Google. Top 5 results for both queries said no to both.