Today I fired the Own It Detroit team after spending over $800k with them.

Today I fired the Own It Detroit team after spending over $800k with them.

Member since 2023 路 74 posts 路 134 votes

So this may be a long post, but I want this to help others who are exploring out of state investing in a new territory like Detroit. I've been in investing in Detroit since early 2023. I started my investing journey in Toledo where we have over a dozen properties, all section 8.

The appeal of low property prices with high cash flow yields is what drove me to the market. I searched and interviewed various turnkey companies and ultimately landed on Own It Detroit -- Owned and operated by Mousa. 

 Today I fired them after spending $800,000. 

This post is to make others aware of my experience and to ensure you don't make the same mistakes. As well as to heavily vet your management team in the future and fully understand how they're operating procedures work. 

The positives: 

Property Acquisition Made Easy!! By far, the cleanest and most efficient process to purchase and renovate a home I've ever seen. If you're looking to acquire properties and pay a slight premium on the rehabs to get them done well, this is absolutely a service I recommend. In total, I acquired 11 properties last year, of which half of them were complete rehab projects. The rehab work came in on-time and on budget for 5/6 of the properties. There was one property that took 4 months, and felt like they forgot about it till I emailed them 10 weeks in to inquire...The others were swift and the before/after photos were good. 

Appreciation in the area is genuinely insane. Some of the properties that we picked up for $20k, put $60k in, and flipped appraised for over $100k. Some of the property acquisitions came in around $70k, and recently financed and appraised for $100k. 

Overall, I've spent a total of over $800k, and after rehabs and appreciation, the ARV's are coming in around $1.173M for the portfolio. Not a bad return for only a year in the market, but I'm a buy and hold investor. I do this for cash flow.

The negatives:

Unfortunately, outside of Acquisitions and rehabs, the management, tenant placement, and collections side of the business is terrible. Spending over $800,000 there has yet to be a single deposit to the account. Of course, we racked up major construction bills and we paid those in full, but the portfolio is now stabilized, collecting $9,000 in rents, but every month, like clock work, the expenses surpass the amount collected. Only about 60-70% of the rent is collected on a monthly basis. The expenses somehow continue to rack up even though the properties have been newly renovated.

Rent is not prioritized. They allow for a 30 day payment period with no late fee's to the tenants, and often times rent will go without collection. As the properties got rented, I imagined surly the collections will surpass the expenses, but like clockwork, you'll find thousands in repair bills every month across the portfolio. There is no communication from the management team and everything is automatically approved and billed to your account. It's a daily surprise when you login to your owners portal. I found myself having to email several times about repair bills being posted that were not communicated to me nor asked if I approve of the bill. 

After months of of a stabilized portfolio with $0 net return from the rents, I've decided to just remove them from the equation. We'll now see if the new PM I've hired can fix this. I plan to give Detroit a solid few more months. I believe the market there is truly one of the best in the world right now. The neighborhoods when selected right are truly rewarding from an appreciation point of view.

Worst case scenario, I'll dump the portfolio this year and continue in Toledo. Best case scenario, I add another 20 doors to Detroit and hold the property management company accountable to fast evictions and prioritized rent collections.  Probably gonna look at stabilizing with S8. 

I wrote this to share my experience publicly with those looking to invest in Detroit out of state and may be considering Own It Detroit. Acquisitions was fun, fast, and a great experience. Management and stabilization of the portfolio has caused me to lose investor confidence in the region. 

We'll see if the new management team (logicalPM) can fix it. I'll provide a 90 day update. 

My advice to new investors going into the area -- Do it much slower than I did. I aggressively pursued the market. It's now been a great appreciation play, terrible cash flow play. Also, the quality of tenants at this level is absolutely what I expected, but wasn't sure. In Toledo, my S8 tenants have all be heavily vetted and rarely have any issues. 

Moving forward in the Detroit area, I'm looking more towards $100k sub prices and strong neighborhoods like Bagley. You'll find strong appreciation and cash flow here.

Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have. Happy to answer publicly any questions. 







20Reply
446 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned J.Pro Member
Investor 路 Manteca, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
2y

I guess my only comment is that you seem to feel like the rehabs were top notch, well done and professional work..... but then have been over run with repairs. To me, that doesnt sound like the rehab was well done at all. On budget and on time..... but you have to keep going back and fixing stuff? Thats scream " we do stuff fast and cheap"..... but crap work. 

The biggest benefit to a well done rehab is most of the expense for some time are done and fixed in place. There shouldn't be a bunch of additional cost after that

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Meriden, CT 路 Member since 2018 路 699 posts 路 500 votes
    2y

    I look forward to hearing how your story goes in Detroit!  Good luck!

  • Accountant 路 NC 路 Member since 2023 路 123 posts 路 163 votes
    2y

    Thanks for the post! 

  • Member since 2024 路 2 posts 路 0 votes
    2y

    Hey Jonathan, im new to real estate as far as selling and buying. I invested in myself by buying the pro membership for bigger pockets!

    my goals are to start by wholesaling in order to fund my first deal!

    im out of flint michigan, I come across land contracts everyday. 20-30k. 5k down. usually need about 20,30k rehab and rental is roughly 850 900 or like you do section 8 so 1200. or to fix and flip your looking at around 50-80k 

    i would like to either get in touch with a mentor or an investor in regards to moving forward on the RIGHT WAY to start out. if this sounds like something that is interesting to you. please let me know. thanks
    -Jake riddle


  • Logan LaperriereBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Grand Rapids, MI 路 Member since 2023 路 333 posts 路 124 votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Weinberger 

    Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that you were able to come out of the relationship with positive equity in your properties. I hope that Logical works out better for you.  

    Having a 30 day payment period is crazy! were you aware of that when you signed up with them originally? 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor 路 Toledo, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    I've always said the "easiest" part in real estate is to find, buy and renovate.

    Hardest part is to manage well, year after year.

    Took us 10+ years in the business before can finally say that we have a decent property management company.

    Always a work in progress but not chasing tail like we did in the first 3-4 years when we first started.

    I love Detroit along with the market prospects.

    Seems like something new is popping up every few months I visit.

    Much success and all the best 馃檹馃憤

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2019 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Jonathan, thanks for sharing. 

    We have a property management office and we have dealt with section 8 and D class areas until we realized that the headache of chasing rents, constant negligence to the properties, and lack of communication from the tenant made our life much harder and also made the owner extremely pissed.

    This is the nature of dealing with that class of Real Estate. 

    We found that dumping this portfolio and pursuing Class B-A real estate to be far easier to work with, higher rents, stable returns, less damage to property (in some case the places looked better after the tenant moved out), and best of all, your appreciation is much better. 

    10% increase in appreciation on 100k is 10k, on 500k it is 50k. 

    Section 8 is not guaranteed income - only the portion provided by the state/city. 

    Getting rent at all from the tenant was a blessing. 

    Good luck

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor 路 Arroyo Grande, CA 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Jonathan, I remember we connected back in August when you'd already purchased 10-doors with Own It Detroit. Sounds like overall it was a positive experience but, like many Detroit PM's, they are... lacking.

    Happy to talk about things more if you'd like (privately). I'm quite familiar with most of the PM's/players in Detroit and can give you the good, bad, and ugly.

  • Investor 路 Arroyo Grande, CA 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    2y

    Also, you might want to reach out to @Jason Turgeon before picking a PM.

    We just spoke the other day.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2011 路 5k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    2y

    I am curious @Jonathan Weinberger what Own It Detroit's response was when confronted with these issues and the termination of services? 

    I not they market a message of there proficiency in PM, but your story speaks vastly different experience. Curious if they gave explanation, attempted retention, or just said "oh well" and were happy to split ways? 

    To not communicate service ticket items, that's a rather fundamental item to fail on. But 30 day grace for rent payment's, that's just baffling. 

  • Investor 路 Dearborn, MI 路 Member since 2017 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    2y

    Looking forward to hearing how your 90 day update, good luck

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor 路 Manteca, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y

    I guess my only comment is that you seem to feel like the rehabs were top notch, well done and professional work..... but then have been over run with repairs. To me, that doesnt sound like the rehab was well done at all. On budget and on time..... but you have to keep going back and fixing stuff? Thats scream " we do stuff fast and cheap"..... but crap work. 

    The biggest benefit to a well done rehab is most of the expense for some time are done and fixed in place. There shouldn't be a bunch of additional cost after that

  • Investor 路 Oak Park, IL 路 Member since 2014 路 307 posts 路 150 votes
    2y

    Congratulations on your initiative in taking on these projects.  The lessons learned should be very valuable to you moving forward.  The key is managing the tenants.  It is essential for managers to screen tenants, well, and enforce rent payments.  One of the big tasks is identifying and hiring a good manager, no easy task.  Find what works in Detroit and what does not.

  • Investor 路 Mississippi Gulf Coast 路 Member since 2019 路 55 posts 路 53 votes
    2y

    Its interesting because on their website they boast a 92% rent collection rate (even during Covid?), and indicate that "even during uncertain times, you will get timely returns every month".

    Which is an unexpected statement to make on a website... guess I am assuming that doesnt need to be pointed out as a "feature of the service"

    But as a old radio show "Dennis and the Rodman" used to always say, a good con will tell you the con before the con.  Maybe this is what I am seeing here.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2011 路 5k+ posts 路 6k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Roger Flot:

    Its interesting because on their website they boast a 92% rent collection rate (even during Covid?), and indicate that "even during uncertain times, you will get timely returns every month".

    Which is an unexpected statement to make on a website... guess I am assuming that doesnt need to be pointed out as a "feature of the service"

    But as a old radio show "Dennis and the Rodman" used to always say, a good con will tell you the con before the con.  Maybe this is what I am seeing here.


    92% isn't all that great, especially in sec8, it's actually rather low. 

    98 percentile range is acceptable standard, even 97, not 92, that's rather low. 

  • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2016 路 5k+ posts 路 13k+ votes
    2y

    Why not just have them continue to source and rehab properties and you can either flip them or get someone else to manage?  You made $373k in equity gains in one year without much work.  This post is an advertisement for them (excluding the management part).

  • James MurphyPro Member
    Member since 2024 路 18 posts 路 16 votes
    2y

    In some tenant-friendly states even if the rent is due on the 1st of the month in the lease the tenant has until the end of the month to pay (like in Massachusetts).

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor 路 Toledo, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Roger Flot:

    Its interesting because on their website they boast a 92% rent collection rate (even during Covid?), and indicate that "even during uncertain times, you will get timely returns every month".

    Which is an unexpected statement to make on a website... guess I am assuming that doesnt need to be pointed out as a "feature of the service"

    But as a old radio show "Dennis and the Rodman" used to always say, a good con will tell you the con before the con.  Maybe this is what I am seeing here.


    Believe it or not we had the lowest vacancy ever during covid times as a PM.

    I think it was all of the government subsidies and folks had nowhere else to go to spend it on other stuff instead of paying rent lol

  • Member since 2023 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    2y

    Great post thanks for sharing. Just picked up my first one in Lincoln Park, fingers crossed.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber 路 Pittsburgh 路 Member since 2018 路 6k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Weinberger

    thanks for the post, appreciate the detail and also sharing the downs as well as the ups.

    are you investing with partners?

  • Investor 路 Hillsboro, OR 路 Member since 2016 路 304 posts 路 153 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    Why not just have them continue to source and rehab properties and you can either flip them or get someone else to manage?  You made $373k in equity gains in one year without much work.  This post is an advertisement for them (excluding the management part).


     Hopefully, this investor is in a good place.  But, I'm wondering.  Who picked the appraiser?  If we went to a realtor of good standing and asked them for a property evaluation / recommended price... what would that look like?  A little padding of $15k per property is about half of that equity.  What would the cost be to sell?  If that is at about 10% .... he's even.  

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Culver City, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 403 posts 路 246 votes
    2y

    @Engelo Rumora is spot on. You just need a good management company. Investing out of state is all about management. A market could be on fire but if you don鈥檛 have good management you could lose your shirt. Most important piece. Unfortunately most turnkey companies don鈥檛 prioritize it.

    Avoid Beal in Detroit. People like Epic although I had bad experience. We use NHL and so far so good.

  • Samuel CoronadoPro Member
    Investor 路 Huntsville, AL 路 Member since 2016 路 335 posts 路 181 votes
    2y

    I would chalk it up much more to the demographics and laws in Detroit than just the management. The entire city has an entitlement mentality and protections for tenants outweigh the incentive to invest there. As an alternative, I am investing in the secondary markets of Huntsville. Much more landlord friendly and the vetting process allows for a better control over everything. 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor 路 Toledo, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jason Carter:

    @Engelo Rumora is spot on. You just need a good management company. Investing out of state is all about management. A market could be on fire but if you don鈥檛 have good management you could lose your shirt. Most important piece. Unfortunately most turnkey companies don鈥檛 prioritize it.

    Avoid Beal in Detroit. People like Epic although I had bad experience. We use NHL and so far so good.


    Thanks for the mention mate

    Property management was a disaster for us when we first started but we knew there is no other way to offer turnkey without complete ownership/control of property management.

    Nowadays it's much much smoother but what a thankless gig.

    Tenants complaining things need fixed, landlords complaining things cost too much to fix and maintenance personnel are always unreliable hehe

    And we are stuck in the middle lol

    Much success to all 馃檹馃憤

  • Member since 2023 路 74 posts 路 134 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Samuel Eddinger:

    I look forward to hearing how your story goes in Detroit!  Good luck!


     You bet man. Gonna clean up this post with more information. 

  • Member since 2023 路 74 posts 路 134 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    Why not just have them continue to source and rehab properties and you can either flip them or get someone else to manage?  You made $373k in equity gains in one year without much work.  This post is an advertisement for them (excluding the management part).


     Yeah, Happy to continue that part of the relationship as we look more for B class properties. The post shines a positive light on them for property acquisition. They're management team is the reason for firing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.