Seeking Advice on Potential House Hack Investment

Seeking Advice on Potential House Hack Investment

New to Real Estate · Tempe AZ & Carlsbad CA · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 21 votes

Greetings forum members!

I am currently exploring an exciting venture for the upcoming school year, as I plan to house hack with 3-4 of my college friends. The property that caught my eye initially seemed promising on Zillow, labeled as 4 bedrooms and 4 baths – a rare find in my area. The possibility of each tenant having their own bathroom and the potential for increased rent revenue was particularly appealing.

Upon visiting the property for a tour, I was supprised to see the house not only featured the advertised 4 bedrooms and baths but also included an additional full bedroom and bathroom, absent from the online photos. There was also a versatile "transition room" that could easily be converted into a 5th bedroom, complemented by a secondary kitchen. When thinking it over there was a couple red flags. Intriguingly, the asking price for this 5-5 home seemed extremely low. And not to mention the home has been on market for 100 days.

However, my enthusiasm was tempered when I learned about unpermitted construction on the property, likely contributing to its extended time on the market. Unfortunately, communication with the listing agent has been lacking, leaving me uncertain about the progress of the necessary permits and inspections. I am also curious about the potential risks associated with unlicensed contractors who may have worked on the property.

Furthermore, I am anxious about the possibility of the seller obtaining city approval, bringing the property up to code, and subsequently increasing the asking price substantially – a concern that raises questions about the deal's feasibility if I don't secure the property under contract promptly.

Any advice and insights can help. How should I navigate these uncertainties, and what steps can I take to mitigate potential risks?

Thank you in advance for your valuable input!

1Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 235 posts · 107 votes
    2y

    that's a great idea, and I would strongly urge you to continue this path and obtain a home to house hack, even if this one flakes.

    In my market, having a buyer agent generally carries no further expense vs being unrepresented. Everything is negotiable, but typically buyer's agent commission is carved out of the listing agents commission (typically 6%...buyer agent gets 3%) 

    my point in saying this is; GET AN AGENT! :) A good agent will meet up with you for a few hours, and along with educating you on the entire buying process (financing, contracts, inspections, what to expect in negotiations, etc) they will also be able to guide you by running comps and telling you if the home is priced well, as well as discovering any issues preventing the property from selling (liens, disputes)...Not sure about CA and AZ, But I have a buddy who renovated his dental office without pulling permits, and when the city found out, they made him literally gut it and redo it with permits.

    I would urge you having some conversations with agents in your area. interview a couple, and they should guide you in the right direction. Dont sign an agency agreement until you know you want to work with them

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.