Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Diaz
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bridgeport ct
Votes |
Taxes from cash out refinance

Ricardo Diaz
  • Bridgeport ct
Posted

I have a a tax question. I cashed out refi a property under my name into an llc for me and my partner. We took money out and left it into the account.  Now I took money out and my accounts tells me it will be taxed. I thought debt is not taxable.  

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied

@Ricardo Diaz

If you really only did a cash out refi, the proceeds from your cash-out refinance are not taxable. The money you receive from your cash-out refinance is essentially a loan you are taking out against your home's equity. Loan proceeds from a HELOC, home equity loan, cash-out refinance and other types of loans are not considered income.

BUT... it sounds like you didn't do a cash out refi (where the property stays in your name)... you in essence sold your property to a new entity (the LLC that has it's own separate tax ID number - so it definitely isn't "you"). So if that is what you did, you would likely have to recognize any capital gain from the sale and pay taxes on it. Not only that, depending on how long you had the property, you will probably see your local taxing authority reset the tax basis as well. So if you bought the property for $100,000... but now transferred it to the LLC for $200,000 and pulled out say $75,000 in cash, the appraiser will now value the property at $200,000, and not $100,000 (less about 20% usually) and your taxes will be based on that higher valuation. (it happened to us!). Any savings you may have accrued on assessed value will likely be lost as well... so don't be surprised to see your taxes jump the next time the property appraiser reassesses the property.

All of this is my best guess interpreting what you wrote in your question.  

All the best!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Diaz
  • Bridgeport ct
Votes |
  • Bridgeport ct
Replied

Wow that is what I was afraid off but thank you for explaining it to me and yes that is what I did. Changed it to another entity. Damn. Well that was a bust. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Diaz
  • Bridgeport ct
Votes |
  • Bridgeport ct
Replied

To follow-up- The house was bought as an investment property under my name. A cash out refinance was done two years ago, and switched under an LLC. When do I have to pay capital gains on an investment property? Is it not like personal property where capital gains is not paid after 2 years ownership?

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied
Quote from @Ricardo Diaz:

To follow-up- The house was bought as an investment property under my name. A cash out refinance was done two years ago, and switched under an LLC. When do I have to pay capital gains on an investment property? Is it not like personal property where capital gains is not paid after 2 years ownership?

@Ricardo Diaz

Capital gains would be due in the tax year you sold the property.  So if you "sold it" to the new entity in 2023, taxes would be due April 15, 2024.  If you are past that tax year, you should probably refile that tax year.  It seems to take the IRS 2-3 years to get around to catching things like that (at least that's what happened when I missed at 1099 one year).  So I wouldn't start thinking you have "gotten lucky" if it's only been a year since it happened... It's likely the IRS just isn't up to that date yet!  Penalties and interest will continue to accrue in the meantime presuming they do come back to you on it. 

All the best!

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Diaz
  • Bridgeport ct
Votes |
  • Bridgeport ct
Replied

Thanks Randy. I’ll have it looked at in the mean time 

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Wow. Why did you do this and why did your accountant let you? You generated a tax bill you didn't need to. Unless your purpose was to sell half the property to a partner? (In which case you probably could have skipped the LLC and just added him as a joint tenant and paid half the taxes?

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied

You may want to see if this can be considered a contribution into an LLC instead of a sale.

It would result in drastically different outcomes.

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Diaz
  • Bridgeport ct
Votes |
  • Bridgeport ct
Replied

Yep learning the hard way. Did not consult with a professional as to what would be the tax benefits. And now since I want to dissolve the llc and sell the house almost 3 years later i have to ask what is the best way to not pay taxes because I do want to put it into another investment.  Believe me I have done couple things without consulting with someone who knows.