HELP! - Errors and Ommissions on Sales/Builders Agent - How to get out of a purchase

HELP! - Errors and Ommissions on Sales/Builders Agent - How to get out of a purchase

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi All, 

Apologies for the long winded background, but it's needed for my question at the bottom in BOLD. 

My wife and I were looking at building a townhome in our area from a large builder, we visited the pre-built sites and felt good about moving forward as long as the financials made sense. It would be our primary home for a year and then we would convert it into a rental home. 

One of the major factors for me was the fact that the Sales Agent for the Builder told us and provided us with documentation that we could pay the monthly PMI upfront on a FHA home loan. As someone who doesn't know all of the lending laws, we assumed that what we were being provided as estimates were accurate (understanding that rates and some closing costs could change depending on the lender). Anyways, the estimate they provided was a 30-year FHA loan at 3.5%, while rolling the Upfront PMI into the loan and while paying the monthly PMI upfront as well. The builder was also offering 6% in credits towards closing, so any other loan was not evaluated as we are trying to preserve our cash. After running through the calculations, it made sense to move forward given this information, so we signed the purchase contract and provided our earnest money.

Now the fun part, they put us in touch with their lender, and their lender said that we are NOT able to pay the monthly PMI upfront for an 30-year FHA loan, and therefore we would be stuck paying the extra $200/mo in PMI for the life of the loan. I reached out to the Builders Agent and told them that this was an issue and they proceeded to say that they are not a Loan officer and any documentation that was provided in error shouldn't be a major issue as there are plenty of other financing strategies available. They said we cannot cancel our purchase contract because of that, and if we do, they will not return the earnest money due to the clause in the contract.

The other options they are recommending do not work for us:

- Stay with the 30-year FHA loan and 3.5% down with the 6% of closing costs. And have PMI for the life of the loan (unless refinanced down the road as an investment property not as a primary).

- Switch to conventional loan, and put down 5% and PMI will eventually fall off. We would only receive 3% of closing costs, and the other 3% would reduce the purchase price.

- Switch to conventional loan, and put down 10% and PMI will eventually fall off. We would only receive 3% of closing costs, and the other 3% would reduce the purchase price.

- Put 10% down on an 30-year FHA loan and then the PMI could eventually fall off.

I understand that there are options here, but all of these options now require more cash upfront and or worse interest rates / PMI for life of the loan.

I'm curious if we have any "legal" recourse to say that the Sales / Builder's agent provided us with incorrect information that led to our decision of purchasing the home, and whether the threat of taking legal action will scare the builder enough to give us our earnest money back, as we really do not want to move forward with the purchase anymore given this new information.   

Appreciate any insight and or recommendations. 

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
2y

Sounds like you do not have a real estate agent. In the future, hire one.

The builders rep is not a loan officer. Information from them should not be treated as gospel, and should only be general informational.

Do you have a home inspection contingency to get out of the contract perhaps? What about an HOA document review period?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    I'd ask an attorney

    Good luck

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Nathan Parkins

    Most likely the answer is you have no recourse as it’s part of your due diligence to verify details as well.

    Also any preliminary financing information upfront is not final or contingent. The only way it could have a chance was if you received an approval from the lender with specific loan terms which it sounds like this is not the case.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Sounds like you do not have a real estate agent. In the future, hire one.

    The builders rep is not a loan officer. Information from them should not be treated as gospel, and should only be general informational.

    Do you have a home inspection contingency to get out of the contract perhaps? What about an HOA document review period?

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    @Chris Seveney - appreciate the feedback. Yes, understanding we can do our own due diligence. Was just curious if there could be any legal recourse - but sounds like that’s not the case. 

    @Russell Brazil - even though the reps builder is not a loan officer they are presenting information that is being used to mislead potential buyers. So I thought a case could be made. And noted on the agent. 

    There are financial contingencies that I won’t meet (I probably won’t qualify without a co-signor / my wife) and I signed it as an individual so technically I won’t qualify unless I add her. More about the principal of the matter. 

  • Preston DeanBusiness Member
    Realtor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 779 posts · 368 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Parkins:

    Hi All, 

    Apologies for the long winded background, but it's needed for my question at the bottom in BOLD. 

    My wife and I were looking at building a townhome in our area from a large builder, we visited the pre-built sites and felt good about moving forward as long as the financials made sense. It would be our primary home for a year and then we would convert it into a rental home. 

    One of the major factors for me was the fact that the Sales Agent for the Builder told us and provided us with documentation that we could pay the monthly PMI upfront on a FHA home loan. As someone who doesn't know all of the lending laws, we assumed that what we were being provided as estimates were accurate (understanding that rates and some closing costs could change depending on the lender). Anyways, the estimate they provided was a 30-year FHA loan at 3.5%, while rolling the Upfront PMI into the loan and while paying the monthly PMI upfront as well. The builder was also offering 6% in credits towards closing, so any other loan was not evaluated as we are trying to preserve our cash. After running through the calculations, it made sense to move forward given this information, so we signed the purchase contract and provided our earnest money.

    Now the fun part, they put us in touch with their lender, and their lender said that we are NOT able to pay the monthly PMI upfront for an 30-year FHA loan, and therefore we would be stuck paying the extra $200/mo in PMI for the life of the loan. I reached out to the Builders Agent and told them that this was an issue and they proceeded to say that they are not a Loan officer and any documentation that was provided in error shouldn't be a major issue as there are plenty of other financing strategies available. They said we cannot cancel our purchase contract because of that, and if we do, they will not return the earnest money due to the clause in the contract.

    The other options they are recommending do not work for us:

    - Stay with the 30-year FHA loan and 3.5% down with the 6% of closing costs. And have PMI for the life of the loan (unless refinanced down the road as an investment property not as a primary).

    - Switch to conventional loan, and put down 5% and PMI will eventually fall off. We would only receive 3% of closing costs, and the other 3% would reduce the purchase price.

    - Switch to conventional loan, and put down 10% and PMI will eventually fall off. We would only receive 3% of closing costs, and the other 3% would reduce the purchase price.

    - Put 10% down on an 30-year FHA loan and then the PMI could eventually fall off.

    I understand that there are options here, but all of these options now require more cash upfront and or worse interest rates / PMI for life of the loan.

    I'm curious if we have any "legal" recourse to say that the Sales / Builder's agent provided us with incorrect information that led to our decision of purchasing the home, and whether the threat of taking legal action will scare the builder enough to give us our earnest money back, as we really do not want to move forward with the purchase anymore given this new information.   

    Appreciate any insight and or recommendations. 


     Man, so sorry to hear this. The sales rep works for the builder so they have their best interest in mind. A realtor works in your best interest.

    If I am you I would back out of the contract and forfeit the earnest, losing a little up front will save you years of a headache & hire a realtor next time. 

    OR

    Just buy the house and then refinance into a conventional loan so the PMI falls off after 20% down.

    United Real Estate DFW Properties 565 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 50 posts · 41 votes
    2y

     Is any kind of loan objection dealine or clause in the contract? 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Parkins:

    @Chris Seveney - appreciate the feedback. Yes, understanding we can do our own due diligence. Was just curious if there could be any legal recourse - but sounds like that’s not the case. 

    @Russell Brazil - even though the reps builder is not a loan officer they are presenting information that is being used to mislead potential buyers. So I thought a case could be made. And noted on the agent. 

    There are financial contingencies that I won’t meet (I probably won’t qualify without a co-signor / my wife) and I signed it as an individual so technically I won’t qualify unless I add her. More about the principal of the matter. 


     Use the finance contingency to escape the contract and get your earnest money returned.  You have an easy out, use it if you desire. 

    I question the wisdom of financing the PMI up front. I have been investing quite a while and have had a lot of loans. I have yet to have any loan as long as 10 years. There are many reasons that loans do not go to full term. Sell, extract equity, lower rates I suspect are the primary reasons. I would strongly recommend pre paying the complete PMI even if it could then be financed (which it appears it cannot be which makes sense to me).


    good luck

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Parkins:

    @Chris Seveney - appreciate the feedback. Yes, understanding we can do our own due diligence. Was just curious if there could be any legal recourse - but sounds like that’s not the case. 

    @Russell Brazil - even though the reps builder is not a loan officer they are presenting information that is being used to mislead potential buyers. So I thought a case could be made. And noted on the agent. 

    There are financial contingencies that I won’t meet (I probably won’t qualify without a co-signor / my wife) and I signed it as an individual so technically I won’t qualify unless I add her. More about the principal of the matter. 


     If you have financial contingencies that get you out, why worry about it? Who cares about the principal of the thing? Real estate contracts aren't missions where you fall on your sword. It sounds like your goal is to get your earnest money back, since you can't get the deal that they were pushing. You have outs that will make that happen. Make it happen. Why would you even *want* to make a legal case out of it if you can reach your objective without it?

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.