Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Fujan
Votes |
Cap Ex....an investment killer?

Jordan Fujan
Posted

I'm working on my investment spreadsheet and have been doing some reading on the topic of Cap Ex. Some people use a number like 10% of the income, but many suggest itemizing your expenses over their lifespan is the most accurate. I've seen some logical points made that under estimating Cap Ex may not be realized until many years later when a few larger than expected expenses eat up years of "cash flow".

Below is my Cap Ex estimate. I've taken the lifespan and current age of the item (many do not add current age but I don't understand how you can be accurate without it) into account to estimate the remaining years until replacement is needed. For a SFH that rents for $1800 that would be 17% Cap Ex. I understand that Cap Ex is location and age of home dependent, but is it possible for this to be ballpark accurate for these times? I wonder if 10% is so commonly used because people are looking at 10 yr time frames and not 30+? Am figuring these numbers right? Any other variables I'm not looking at?

Your input is appreciated!

Loading replies...