What's good and great about the Pittsburgh area

What's good and great about the Pittsburgh area

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

I find myself repeatedly compelled to speak up to temper long-distance or newbie expectations of this city in the BP forums. To this end, I've made a lot of less-than-stellar prognostications here about the economic future of Pittsburgh, said a lot of negative things about the weather and crumbling infrastructure, talked a great deal about the area's insular mindset. But I also need to bear witness to the unequivocal truth, that Pittsburgh has been very, very, very good to me. There are many things about this town that I greatly appreciate.

From a real estate perspective, I would be hard-pressed to find a place more suitable to small, DIY real estate investing operations. There are tremendous, incredible, only-here-and-nowhere-else advantages for a mom-and-pop operation like ours. If you have measured goals of real estate success, if you actually want to integrate into a community and help improve it, Pittsburgh is a point of pure light on the map of the USA. Do things with clarity and good purpose for all to see, and it is amazing how word spreads like wildfire and entire communities get out of your way or step in to give you a hand.

If you try to come here to "stack and stack," make your pile and get out in three or four years, Pittsburgh will punish you. I have to admit that I like that, too. Slick talk, goop in the hair, cerulean suits, and 'tude-over-substance don't do well here. The locals take a very dim view of lifestyles that don't put family first. Common courtesy is at times insisted upon by normally quiet men and women, once in a while by a smack upside the head when only insolence is offered. You don't come to this city and speak ill of the military, first responders, or God. Nor will you be favored if you decide you want to spread your particular religious beliefs to all and sundry.

I've saved what I feel is the most important and greatest thing about Pittsburgh for last. I have been made extremely aware in the last year and a half, with our business's increasing focus in refugee resettlement, that there's absolutely nothing wrong with Pittsburgh's heart. This is the place to be if you come to the USA running from war, famine, or hatred, hoping to start a new life. There are food pantries around every corner, outreach programs ready and eager to help, philanthropic aid organizations with remarkably robust resources, and then there's the locals. It's not every city in American where you walk into a local store to buy a rug for a Ukrainian refugee family and upon hearing what you're doing, the owner instantly cuts prices to 50% on every carpet remnant he's selling. But that's how things are here.

What do you like about Pittsburgh?

5Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y

The Steelers, my football team for the past 50 years!

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    The Steelers, my football team for the past 50 years!

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    OK what happened to Jim K? Did he sell his logon to this new user?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    OK what happened to Jim K? Did he sell his logon to this new user?

    I just thought for once people should know that while Pittsburgh is full of investment traps for the novice or long-distance real estate speculator, it has a lot going for it otherwise.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    The Steelers, my football team for the past 50 years!

     Who could hate the Stillers? The Ravens and the Browns and the Pats, on the other hand...

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jim K.:
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    The Steelers, my football team for the past 50 years!

     Who could hate the Stillers? The Ravens and the Browns and the Pats, on the other hand...


     Well that's OK because I hate all of those teams :D . Actually I pretty much hate all the other teams except the Giants, who I can't hate because I grew up with them in NJ. We moved to PA for a few years when I was just learning about football just back when the Steelers were getting good and winning SBs in the 70s which is how I got to be a Steelers fan. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Pittsburgh · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    I agree on a lot of that with you Jim, this city has welcomed me with open arms and I’ve grown mature enough in my mindset to recognize the opportunity for DIY small operations. 

    I also resonate with what you said about the philanthropy around, I come from 3 years of non-profit work working with immigrant youth and realized how much money is around for different efforts, I’ve heard friends calling Pittsburgh the Silicon Valley of Non-profits (it might be an exaggeration) 

    Compared to a lot of places in the country you can have a decent lifestyle here with lower overhead and more control of your time. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Jose Ochoa

    As far as lifestyle goes, I have my assorted grudges about all kinds of things, but if you just want to own your own home, and that would certainly be my own primary concern coming here, it's hard to beat the numbers here.

    The nonprofits have really been a surprise but it's still early days for me.

  • Jeremy TaggartBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 850 posts · 646 votes
    3y

    @Jim K. Definitely agree on the REI opportunities. If you know the area/s and property types you invest in here like the back of your hand with all their intricacies there's a ton of opportunity to make great money and build a portfolio that can give you financial freedom sooner rather than later if you put effort into it. Not a city where a hedge fund can just come in and make a ton of money because it's a complicated and unique city in many aspects.


    Outside of that I think it's gotta be towards the top of the list for  best "bang for your buck" cities to live in the US.  Average home price in the low 200's and get all the amenities we have here I'll take all day compared to cost of living in some of the other bigger cities in the country. Cost of living in general way cheaper as well compared to some of the more expensive cities. 

    DHRE- The Jeremy Taggart Team590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Jeremy Taggart

    There's this fatalistic, total-BS belief that's just incredibly prevalent among at least the homegrown wannabe investors here, I'm talking about the dozen or more men and women who want to know more when I explain what my wife and I do. You can talk to them all you want, but their belief goes like this: "You've got to be in the right place at the right time with the right people behind you..."

    No, not in Pittsburgh. You have to find the right people by getting beat up by the wrong people. You have to learn what the right time is by getting shafted by the wrong time. Pittsburgh is ALWAYS the right place. ALWAYS. Anyone looking for a deal who is willing to go hard can find one in this city, in this county, somewhere in Great Pittsburgh, 365 days a year, rain or shine. It may not be the perfect deal, but something real can be made of it.

    You've got to study the city and wear out tires and shoe leather driving and walking it. The multilayered complexity that screws over so many OOS investors is your FRIEND as a local investor, and the more experience you have the truer this is.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.