General thoughts on barndominiums? Can they be a successful investment?

General thoughts on barndominiums? Can they be a successful investment?

New to Real Estate · Denton, TX · Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes

Hello,

I hope everyone is having a great day!

As the title states, I am curious to hear more experienced investor’s thoughts and opinions on barndos?

They are popping up everywhere in rural Texas and I’d like to know if it would be a viable strategy 

- Is it possible to even get financing for one? 

- Do the appreciate? Do they at least hold their value?

- Are rental rates comparable to a regular SFH?

Thank you for your time and replies 







0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 329 posts · 203 votes
3y

Most people that are building these barndominiums are building them as a primary residence, so I don't know that there is enough data as to whether or not they would be successful as investments. I would suggest talking to community banks about how they will estimate the value. If your lender will be using the comparable approach, it might be difficult to get a loan as there probably isn't a whole of comparable sales since they are really new to the market. If they will be using the income approach, then all you are doing is putting together a business plan for the lender showing them how your project will more than support the debt service and be a viable investment for the bank. 

I would expect rental rates to be comparable, I think this a really good idea and one I have definitely considered myself! Get really good at estimating build cost, rental rates and be ready to pivot constantly as you enter into the development world! 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 329 posts · 203 votes
    3y

    Most people that are building these barndominiums are building them as a primary residence, so I don't know that there is enough data as to whether or not they would be successful as investments. I would suggest talking to community banks about how they will estimate the value. If your lender will be using the comparable approach, it might be difficult to get a loan as there probably isn't a whole of comparable sales since they are really new to the market. If they will be using the income approach, then all you are doing is putting together a business plan for the lender showing them how your project will more than support the debt service and be a viable investment for the bank. 

    I would expect rental rates to be comparable, I think this a really good idea and one I have definitely considered myself! Get really good at estimating build cost, rental rates and be ready to pivot constantly as you enter into the development world! 

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I understood them to be similar to standard real estate. Although there might be a bank here and there that doesn't lend on them.

    all you have to do is run comps and compare the barndominiums to the other houses. They'll probably be priced similar.

  • New to Real Estate · Denton, TX · Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Thank you for the replies Tanner and Allan!

    There’s is definitely a lot to learn and study up on here and I appreciate the direction you have both given me 

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Account Closed A new build barndominium, in my opinion, is a just a fade in new construction. 

    We see them in Indiana. Unless you own a business, collect cars, run a farm, operate equipment, etc. they don't make sense. They prioritize the garage over functional living spaces. And that statement is coming from a "car guy" that loves wrenching on stuff.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    3y

    Similar to @jaron walling, i see several within 5 miles of my PR.  I wonder if they are a fad or the future.  They have giant flexible spaces.  Might not be a fad.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.