Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Damian Walker
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Qualifying the End Buyer

Damian Walker
  • New to Real Estate
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted

In the world of photoshop and canva, anyone can forge a bank statement or screenshot. Is there a more reliable way to qualify an end buyer than just asking them to "send you a proof of funds"?

User Stats

Votes
Edward Stephens
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Replied

@Damian Walker, if you have any hunch at all that the Proof of Funds is fake, you should first think about whether or not you even want to do business with these people.  After you've decided you still want to deal with them, call the financial institution that provided the proof of funds to the buyer.  It could have been written by an attorney and you could call that attorney, as one example.  You should google the name of WHATEVER institution appears on the proof of funds letterhead also.  Just to see if that company even exists or if it's a scam that's been going around the internet.

Are you a wholesaler trying to find out if your cash buyers are for real?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#4 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied

You can call the bank and verify the funds. The end buyer should have skin in the game in the form of non-refundable earnest money.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Damian Walker

Run a credit report and call their employer.

You can also call the bank and check account balance since you have the account number

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied

The best thing to do is call the bank and see if you can verify. A good way to get rid of the riff-raff is collect a healthy earnest deposit as well. I think most people wouldn't try to fake it after putting a big deposit down. In Florida, the buyer has 3 days to do it.