Tampa vs Orlando - Help a New Member

Tampa vs Orlando - Help a New Member

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi, I'm a new member on the forum, but I've been following the posts for months and I've learned a lot.

I am a Brazilian investor with the intention of having a part of my assets in dollars. I live in Brazil.

Sorry for the english, im learning. 

I have a very conservative profile. My biggest goal is to protect my equity in a safe asset linked to the dollar: real estate in USA.

I want a property that is a good investment but that I can also use in the future as I intend to live in the USA for a few years.

I have up to $200k in cash and I intend to purchase properties in the $280-350k range - using a mortgage.

I'm conservative and don't like to leverage myself too much with bank loans.

My goals in order of importance:

1) Asset Protection.

2) Low Risk of Devaluation.

3) Long-Term Valuation.

4) Long term rental.

Positive cash flow is not a priority.

For the value I can't get SFH, so I'm looking for THs in "Under Construction" or properties with a maximum of 10 years of construction.

My first question is about the location. There are two locations I'm interested in: the Tampa area (Wesley Chapel, Zephyhills etc) and the Orlando area (Davenport, Kissime, etc).

In Tampa I was interested in the following "Under Construction" properties:

1) "Town Homes at RiverLanding"

2) Westgate at Avalon Park

*These properties are between 295k to 330k, rent from 2300-2500.

In the Orlando area (Kissime, Davenport, etc.) there are also several options, in the same price range and with similar rental values.

My question is which of the two regions:

1) has the lowest risk of devaluation?

2) has the greatest long-term upside potential?

3) Would it be better protected in a possible recession?

Finally, I would like to know if I am on the right track or if you would recommend another region in Florida that would better meet my goals.

I also don't rule out short-term rentals, it might be an option.

I'm Very unsure if I'm going the right way, any help Will be Very welcome.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Steven HassettBusiness Member
Realtor · Odessa, FL · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 21 votes
3y

I live near the Wesley Chapel area now, I think both areas meet your criteria of low risk and low chance of being devalued.

Both areas are seeing a large investment in commercial and continued building of residential.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 110 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    Hello and welcome to the forum! I'll do my best to help answer your questions.

    Regarding your first question about location, both the Tampa and Orlando areas have their own advantages and disadvantages. Tampa has a growing economy with major industries including healthcare, finance, and tourism. It also has a lower cost of living compared to other major cities in Florida, which may make it attractive to renters. On the other hand, Orlando is known for its tourism industry and theme parks, which can be a stable source of rental demand. Both areas have their own risks and opportunities, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and investment goals.

    In terms of long-term valuation and protection in a possible recession, it's difficult to predict which area will perform better. However, both areas have experienced steady growth in population and job opportunities over the past decade, which bodes well for long-term property values. It's also worth noting that both areas have experienced real estate booms and busts in the past, so it's important to do your own research and due diligence on the local market conditions.

    Regarding short-term rentals, this could be a viable option in either location as both areas are popular tourist destinations. However, short-term rentals come with their own set of risks and regulations, so it's important to research local laws and regulations before investing in this type of property.

    Overall, it seems like you're on the right track in terms of investing in a conservative, low-risk asset like real estate. As for specific regions in Florida, there are many other areas that could potentially meet your goals, such as Jacksonville or the Space Coast area. It's important to research the local market conditions, job opportunities, and population trends to determine which area is the best fit for your investment goals. Good luck with your search!

  • Steven HassettBusiness Member
    Realtor · Odessa, FL · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    I live near the Wesley Chapel area now, I think both areas meet your criteria of low risk and low chance of being devalued.

    Both areas are seeing a large investment in commercial and continued building of residential.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    3y

    @Gabriel Filipe Rodrigues Tavares sounds like you are using this as a hedge/ safety net not a pure investment. I would pick the area you like the best. The markets are a bit different but at the end of the day are both cities in FL.

    You want to see Micky, or swim with Jaws? I'd go Tampa purely out of would rather be there than Orlando.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.